• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Travel Agency: Yellowstone National Park advice

bigdoublezero

Reaction score
My wife and I are thinking of making a trip sometime this year. Any suggestions/stories/advice out there?

Don't leave you pick-a-nic basket unattended. Yogi or Boo Boo will get it.

I've been on a lot of cool vacations, but Yellowstone has been far and away the best. It is absolutely unbelievable. We stayed in Jackson Hole and "commuted" to Yellowstone each day that we went. It is a lot of time in the car, but the scenery along the drive is well worth it. If you plan to do any significant hiking, I would get some bear spray. We saw a few enormous ones out there, and it is unsettling without it.

Yeah, I'd recommend pairing it with the Grant Tetons/Jackson Hole. We did the same with my family - 'commuted' from JH. Saw all the 'must see' things in yellowstone, and then lots more just from driving so much. Really just an incredible part of the country.

With all due respect to the Jackson Hole commuters, I'd suggest trying to stay at least a night in the actual park, preferably at the Old Faithful Inn. That's a pretty long drive to make everyday, especially when Yellowstone is so massive in itself. Jackson Hole to say, Mammoth Falls on the northern end of the park, would be a long damn drive.

We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn for a couple nights, the cabins at Mammoth Falls, and then a few nights in Jackson Hole and Cody, WY. The drive from Cody back into the northeast entrance, through Montana, was really spectacular.

Yeah, we actually are hoping to camp a bit, although we might go the week before Memorial Day, so the nights could be a little cold for that.

Also weighing flying vs. driving. It's about 14-16 hours from San Francisco depending on the route.

Might do SF to SLC to Jackson Hole and then up into Yellowstone at a couple of spots.

Yeah, we actually are hoping to camp a bit, although we might go the week before Memorial Day, so the nights could be a little cold for that.

Also weighing flying vs. driving. It's about 14-16 hours from San Francisco depending on the route.

Might do SF to SLC to Jackson Hole and then up into Yellowstone at a couple of spots.

also make sure all the roads you'll want to travel are going to be open by then; sometimes snow can be a pain.

yeah j hole and the entire area is amazing. that was my first foray in to the west, so i'd love to see if it's still as awe inspiring as it was as a teenager.

Tetons are > Yellowstone imo but both are pretty spectacular.

Week before memorial day can still be winter time there. Depends on the winter. Check before you go. Had to stop for white out conditions, then had a fun snow ball fight on the pass out of Jackson Hole one year.

On the Fourth of July.

Dude, you are going to have a great time. Buddy and I drove out there from NC after the Bar (which is to say, July), and fished and camped all over the park and JH area. We had frost on the windshield (repeat: July). It will be significantly colder than you think it will. Pack accordingly.

It might have been my favorite roadtrip of all time. I'm genuinely jealous.

Yeah, we're fairly used to camping in cold conditions, but I'm thinking we'll reserve some hotel rooms just in case.

Also almost positive we'll drive it. Should be awesome.

Yeah, we're fairly used to camping in cold conditions, but I'm thinking we'll reserve some hotel rooms just in case.

Also almost positive we'll drive it. Should be awesome.

I am too, but not used to cold weather camping in July. That was jarring.

Driving with camping gear was weirdly empowering. We camped in Curt Gowdy Park near Laramie on the way in (obv coming from other direction). Got to drive through Indian Reservations (which was surreal). Bring your fishing rod. Jackson Hole had an Orvis Store that moved me to physical emotion.

that's assuming obummer doesn't target it for shutdown.

Check the weather forecast the night before you plan on entering the park. If it is going to be too cold, they close the park. Or open it on a two-hour delay.

PUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA RIGHT HERE, YALL.

Back