• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit, where should I put my money?

just go to the sexiest teller. "nah... it's cool. i'm waiting for her." (winks)

wolf, actually BB & T is an incredibly great bank that treats their customers great. They are located in a lot of states in the Southeast. A very good stock to own with outstanding management team and based in Winston-Salem.

+1

USAA is the answer if you eligible. The best customer service of any entity I have ever dealt with and you can use any ATM anywhere with no fee (I think they cover all fees for all ATM transactions up to 10 a month or so...not sure the exact number). They have a fantastic mobile app that allows you to instantly deposit checks with your smartphone. I have been a USAA member for almost 20 years and have all of my banking and insurance with them. I cannot recommend this company highly enough.

USAA is the answer if you eligible. The best customer service of any entity I have ever dealt with and you can use any ATM anywhere with no fee (I think they cover all fees for all ATM transactions up to 10 a month or so...not sure the exact number). They have a fantastic mobile app that allows you to instantly deposit checks with your smartphone. I have been a USAA member for almost 20 years and have all of my banking and insurance with them. I cannot recommend this company highly enough.
+100

So I've recently closed my account with Wells Fargo. I'm pretty over the gigantic bank thing. I'd love some recommendations from those in the know about where I could move my (meager amount of) money; credit unions, smaller local banks, etc. Any personal experiences with great customer service, benefits, etc. would be appreciated. Also take into consideration that I may end up moving across the country within the year, so any place that allows you to use any bank's ATMs would be pretty awesome. If I have to switch banks again then, oh well, but it'd be nice not to. Paws rep to useful info.

so you've closed your account but haven't yet set up a new one with another potential bank? Are you just keeping it under your mattress?

I have been very pleased with my Schwab account. You get unlimited ATM rebates, free checks, and can make deposits with your phone. The couple of times I have had to call them, I was talking to a live person in the United States by the second ring. No bogus fees for anything and my checking account even earns like 0.15% interest. Only potential downside is that if you need to deposit cash there is no way to do it.

NOT Citi, they are the worst and that's an understatement. I'm on a 1 hour (and counting) call right this moment trying to resolve their incompetence.

With interest rates where they are, how about a mattress?

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to avoid Schwab and USAA, even though I really like the sound of USAA from what I've researched, simply because I'd really prefer a brick and mortar location. Also, my only military connection right now is my late Grandpa and I'm not sure if that qualifies.

Anyways, right now I'm looking at Allegacy and Truliant, leaning towards Allegacy. Any personal/anecdotal evidence in support of or against either?

Back