• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PIT ZOO TRIP! April 21st

As far as planning. The best thing to do if you are going to do the whole zoo in a day (both the Africa and NA exhibit is to park @ NA (the Africa parking lot/entrance is closed until the summer) and take the zoo train (read: shuttle bus) to the top of Africa and walk back. If you go in the morning, you'll be pretty crowd free until around lunch time and will be going against most of the traffic. We usually pack a lunch and eat at the Akiba market area. Zoo food is crazy expensive and the lines are insanely long.

Don't worry, guys. I recently bought tons of steak and lobster tail on the cheap. I've got plenty for the whole crowd, I just need someone to bring a portable grill.

Don't worry, guys. I recently bought tons of steak and lobster tail on the cheap. I've got plenty for the whole crowd, I just need someone to bring a portable grill.

Go ahead and write down the serial numbers of your electronics. ;)

IMO need another bar crawl. Still bummed I missed out on last time and didn't get to meet anyone :/

As far as planning. The best thing to do if you are going to do the whole zoo in a day (both the Africa and NA exhibit is to park @ NA (the Africa parking lot/entrance is closed until the summer) and take the zoo train (read: shuttle bus) to the top of Africa and walk back. If you go in the morning, you'll be pretty crowd free until around lunch time and will be going against most of the traffic. We usually pack a lunch and eat at the Akiba market area. Zoo food is crazy expensive and the lines are insanely long.

Africa entrance is open now. With the Polar Bears still away for construction, all the excitement is down on that end of the zoo (gorillas and chimps). Going from Africa to NA by foot is slightly more incline than the other way around, but wear good shoes and you'll be fine.

They never really check bags, we always pack sandwiches and snacks. We usually eat at the Junction Plaza in the middle of the zoo. The pizza place here is decent if you are buying lunch, and you can get a whole pie without much wait. There is a 4-D movie and carousel here for the kiddos, too.

#protip: if you are shuttling from one entrance to another at the end of the day, go to the parking shuttle outside the gate. Significantly shorter lines and less hassle.

Africa entrance is open now. With the Polar Bears still away for construction, all the excitement is down on that end of the zoo (gorillas and chimps). Going from Africa to NA by foot is slightly more incline than the other way around, but wear good shoes and you'll be fine.

They never really check bags, we always pack sandwiches and snacks. We usually eat at the Junction Plaza in the middle of the zoo. The pizza place here is decent if you are buying lunch, and you can get a whole pie without much wait. There is a 4-D movie and carousel here for the kiddos, too.

#protip: if you are shuttling from one entrance to another at the end of the day, go to the parking shuttle outside the gate. Significantly shorter lines and less hassle.

DeacFreak, you are the zoo master. I envision that when you have a kid, with the zoo knowledge you impart, that child will be like Bindi Irwin.

P.S. The peanut went to the zoo for the first time on Tuesday. Apparently he liked the giraffes and bees, but was terrified of the gorillas and monkeys. They were real close to the glass and they freaked him out. I don't know how this is possible, but clearly I have work to do.

DeacFreak, you are the zoo master. I envision that when you have a kid, with the zoo knowledge you impart, that child will be like Bindi Irwin.

P.S. The peanut went to the zoo for the first time on Tuesday. Apparently he liked the giraffes and bees, but was terrified of the gorillas and monkeys. They were real close to the glass and they freaked him out. I don't know how this is possible, but clearly I have work to do.

For the first time, I'm starting to question your parenting abilities.

I know, I know. I don't understand it either, as he's watched a shit ton of monkey stuff on youtube and been to the Lemur Center. Apparently these monkeys were just like really close. I don't know. We will work on this. He likes the bees because he likes to make the "buzz" sound. I didn't even know they had bees at the zoo.

does your peanut watch dora? can you explain the monkeys are like her friend (doesn't she have a monkey friend?) to get him on board?

at the same time... good on him for being wary. those things can rip your face off.

I know, I know. I don't understand it either, as he's watched a shit ton of monkey stuff on youtube and been to the Lemur Center. Apparently these monkeys were just like really close. I don't know. We will work on this. He likes the bees because he likes to make the "buzz" sound. I didn't even know they had bees at the zoo.

Sounds to me like Say Hey has raised a Buzz supporter. Not only have you failed in teaching your child about awesome animals, you have also failed in teaching about the worst ball coach.

Def not. But I do like beads.

AnNPp.gif

There is also a playground at the area with the bee hive. Probably swayed his judgement. On weekends, local keepers typically come and sell honey there and answer your bee-related questions. You can get some kick ass honey there.

Back