• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pittsburgh @ Groves Stadium NOON Sat. Nov. 17

Newman missed four throws that could have gone for touchdowns in this game in addition to an unbelievable amount of overthrows on what should be pretty simple out throws

For sure. Missed some pretty easy passes and it was frustrating. Hartman had just as bad, and worse, games against similar and worse competition.

Let’s not act like Hartman is so much better after one bad game this week (after a performance Hartman didn’t have all season last week).

I repeat, Pitt is not a good defense, they had given up 30ppg coming into today. They also lost to unc for the heels only win so far

Yes, Hartman was just fine. Never had a performance like last week against such high level competition. Had multiple performances like this week.

The above post is correct

What high-level competition? Going into the Wake - State game, NC State was 129 out of 130 teams in passing defense yards per game (Wake was 121).

What high-level competition? Going into the Wake - State game, NC State was 129 out of 130 teams in passing defense yards per game (Wake was 121).

Similar overall rankings at the time of playing them and similar defensive rankings: Syracuse and NC State

Jamie Newman: 22/33 for 297, 3 TDS, 0INTs, ***71.9 QBR***, 44 yards rushing

Sam Hartman: 21/37 for 275, 2 TDS, 1 INT, ***36.0 QBR***, 51 yards rushing for a lower average

Well, 5-6 dook beat us on the road last year to get bowl eligible.

Our turn next week to do the same.

Maybe Clem's son will beat them up tonight- couldn't hurt.

Similar overall rankings at the time of playing them and similar defensive rankings: Syracuse and NC State

Sam Hartman: 21/37 for 275, 2 TDS, 1 INT, ***36.0 QBR***, 51 yards rushing for a lower average

Cherry picking for sure. Both players had good and bad games. Hartman struggled when he was under a lot of pressure. He was pretty accurate with time. Newman had time today. Hartman likely wins today's game.

No clear cut winner yet IMO.

Cherry picking for sure. Both players had good and bad games. Hartman struggled when he was under a lot of pressure. He was pretty accurate with time. Newman had time today. Hartman likely wins today's game.

No clear cut winner yet IMO.

I’m not saying Newman is the clear cut winner between the two. I’m saying people declaring Hartman the clear cut winner are knee-jerking right now.

Narduzzi won the game in the locker room at halftime. We had a 4 pt lead and the ball to start the second half. Went 3 and out in 40 seconds, then 3 and out in 86 seconds and finished with a hat trick 3 and out in 76 seconds. total offense: 8 yards. By the time we got the ball for the 4th time, our 4 point lead had become a 10 point deficit. This is the end of the road for the "Beef Boys" and wish we just could have lined up and pounded the Panthers. Rugggerio's 2 minute offense is alive and well.

This is it in a nutshell; OC lost the game with bad play calls.

LOL you taggers are so sad, its ok I'm confident in myself and my ability to observe things correctly. Its nice to hear my thoughts echoed by Clawson and Newman post-game.

Still waiting for the "high level competition" that Newman did so well against. State's passing defense is now DFL (obviously worse than our rotten pass defense). Louisville's total defense sucks because they're so easy to run against. They're passing D isn't terrible (like State's is).

Based on passing yds/game defensive stats, every FBS team Hartman faced was better at passing D than States

Last edited:
And not really cherry picking - just chose two defenses that were pretty close to one another. 3 of the 4 good games Hartman had were against defenses much worse than NC State and Pitt. Hartman has one good game against a defense better than State, Tulane.

S&P+ btw

Still waiting for the "high level competition" that Newman did so well against. State's passing defense is now DFL (obviously worse than our rotten pass defense). Louisville's total defense sucks because they're so easy to run against. They're passing D isn't terrible (like State's is).

Haha okay so I spoke based on overall rankings first, then checked the defensive rankings (correcting myself), gave you a comparison of similarly ranked defenses, and you’re still gonna act like that. “Ok. Cool”

Syracuse is 110 in pass defense and Hartman was God awful. I’m not declaring Newman to be the clear cut QB next year. I’m saying everyone declaring Hartman the clear cut QB next year are hardcore jumping the gun. Look at the defensive rankings of the four teams Hartman had good games against. 1 average defense and four worse than State and Louisville.

Newman missed four throws that could have gone for touchdowns in this game in addition to an unbelievable amount of overthrows on what should be pretty simple out throws

So are you saying it is a 2nd game sophomore slump?

Haha okay so I spoke based on overall rankings first, then checked the defensive rankings (correcting myself), gave you a comparison of similarly ranked defenses, and you’re still gonna act like that. “Ok. Cool”

Syracuse is 110 in pass defense and Hartman was God awful. I’m not declaring Newman to be the clear cut QB next year. I’m saying everyone declaring Hartman the clear cut QB next year are hardcore jumping the gun. Look at the defensive rankings of the four teams Hartman had good games against. 1 average defense and four worse than State and Louisville.

Much too early to say Newman is or is not the future. He played a great game last week and had a poor performance today, that happens. Hartman certainly didn’t show anything this year to make it clear he should be the guy next year either. Should set up a pretty good QB competition this spring and next fall.

Should have gone for it on 4th and goal at the 1 in the 4th quarter. Kicking was chickenshit. Our defense was leaking oil and the the reward outweighed the risk. We didn’t blitz enough on defense. QB had all day to through and we couldn’t pressure without blitzing.

Much too early to say Newman is or is not the future. He played a great game last week and had a poor performance today, that happens. Hartman certainly didn’t show anything this year to make it clear he should be the guy next year either. Should set up a pretty good QB competition this spring and next fall.

I'd like to see a very strong contender as the third option at QB. Newman and Hartman have shown promise, with Newman's sample size being much smaller. Neither have shown overwhelming promise IMHO.

Newman
Threw the ball like a fastball pitcher. Catch it if you can. Either team. That reminded me of Cam.

Colburn
His injury is a killer. Really could have used some big breakaway runs. Got none that I saw.

Narduzzi
Had is team come out in the second half literally ready to fight. Kickoff they were shoving our guys into the brick around the stadium. We did not respond well at all.

Newman
Threw the ball like a fastball pitcher. Catch it if you can. Either team. That reminded me of Cam.

Colburn
His injury is a killer. Really could have used some big breakaway runs. Got none that I saw.

Narduzzi
Had is team come out in the second half literally ready to fight. Kickoff they were shoving our guys into the brick around the stadium. We did not respond well at all.

Yes, they physically manhandled us in the second half. We gave them no fight.

Back