• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Play of the Game.

Bud was fantastic.

I had to listen to the FSU broadcast early in the 2nd half. After Bud made a nice play, play-by-play man Gene Deckerhoff mentioned that he was from Pahokee. Color man William "Bar None" Floyd gave the old 'You gotta watch out for those Florida kids. They have something to prove because they didn't get the chance to wear the spear on their helmet."

Had to shake my head and laugh. TJDK.

Hard to pick out just one "play of the game" today. There were many, many great plays made on both sides of the ball.

On defense, Mike Olson and Bud Noel stood out for me. Those guys seemed like they were all over the field.

Olson needs to be starting

Bud was fantastic.

I had to listen to the FSU broadcast early in the 2nd half. After Bud made a nice play, play-by-play man Gene Deckerhoff mentioned that he was from Pahokee. Color man William "Bar None" Floyd gave the old 'You gotta watch out for those Florida kids. They have something to prove because they didn't get the chance to wear the spear on their helmet."

Had to shake my head and laugh. TJDK.

I suppose that goes for Texas' boys too.

Play of the game was the Ehrmann pick. Extremely important not to get down early. Good win- let's keep em coming.

Well I was pointing it out because Bud decommitted from FSU and they clearly didn't know that.

I'd love to play Texas so our Texas guys could play with that chip.

Well I was pointing it out because Bud decommitted from FSU and they clearly didn't know that.

I'd love to play Texas so our Texas guys could play with that chip.

Yeah I know.

It would not even dawn on them that a Fla. State recruit might choose WF.

Must admit that the FSU play-by-play guy is, IMO, the best in the business.

Yeah I know.

It would not even dawn on them that a Fla. State recruit might choose WF.

Must admit that the FSU play-by-play guy is, IMO, the best in the business.

I guess. Much better at football than basketball. I do admire how busy he is during football season. He's the play-by-play guy for the FSU and the Bucs. On a good week, he has to get from Tallahassee to Tampa. That's not a fun drive or flight. This week, he had to get from Winston to San Francisco where the Bucs play the Niners in the 4:00 session tomorrow.

I guess. Much better at football than basketball. I do admire how busy he is during football season. He's the play-by-play guy for the FSU and the Bucs. On a good week, he has to get from Tallahassee to Tampa. That's not a fun drive or flight. This week, he had to get from Winston to San Francisco where the Bucs play the Niners in the 4:00 session tomorrow.

I had no idea that he calls Bucs' games too. That is crazy...and he does not sound like a young guy.

66 years old. Just read his Wikipedia entry. He's got a crazy schedule and he's been doing it for a long time. This is his 17th year doing the Noles and Bucs play-by-play. For example, he went from the OU-FSU game that ended close to midnight in Tallahassee to Minneapolis where the Bucs played the Vikings at 1 pm.

He's also done TV for the Orlando and Tampa arena league teams and he is the PA announcer for EA Sports football games.

Tanner Price is a natural quarterback. I am impressed at how much he has matured in less than a year.
Our O line has got a big challenge ahead of them for the rest of the season, because the rest of the league has taken notice of Tanner...
No doubt in my mind we would be undefeated right now if he had not gone down in the 'Cuse game.

To Bo picked up a blitz like a bawse on the T. Davis td.

Terrific block, saved the play. I know the announcers are more concerned with the "Havoline look back at ACC history" than they are with the game itself, but I was surprised neither guy picked up on that. Huge play by Bohannon.

Jimbo Fisher agrees on the Price escape:

Very disappointing. Very disappointing performance. A lot of the same issues. Five turnovers-you can't win a football game. 13 penalties-you can't win a football game. Had opportunities. Got the momentum back at half time, came out and totally missed the protection on the first play and we ultimately had a run coming off the goal line and we tried to cut back and bounce and that's a golden rule when inside the five-you stick it. They got a safety and we played from behind the rest of the game. Changed the momentum. And we had opportunities, but made a couple poor decisions, had a lot of good plays-I think we had four 20 yard gains and then we had holdings that negated it. Those could have gotten us going. Very disappointing-had a couple facemasks on defense, couldn't get the stop on defense when we needed it. Their quarterback did a nice job, broke out of the third down. We still had a chance and got the ball back and they made plays and we didn't. Bottom line is we got to coach better. Taking responsibility-what we're doing starts with me. I said that last week, but it better start, that's for sure.

Both of the PI calls against us on their first TD drive were suspect.

Glad to see us finally get some holding call respect.

Speaking of play-by-play guys, Stan Cotton, who is our play-by-play guy, hosts the "Jim Grobe Show" on the radio Thursdays from 7-8 p.m. It can be heard live on the WBRF 98.1, Galax, Va. website. I wish a lot more people would listen and call in with questions for Coach. It is like a free chance to talk with him and if more folks would take advantage of this it would make our program seem more popular--you know, step up the hype a little. Nothing better than getting a cold one and talking to Coach Grobe. Nothing better than helping to make the Deacs seem like Winston-Salem's and NC's team.

Last edited:
That first pi was complete BS. He had position and looked for the ball and still had a flag thrown.

Totally agree, it happened right in front of me. One of the few times I've seen Grobe really go after on official.

Not the play of the game, but the play(ers) of the game were our OLinemen in the second half. Without their massive improvement after halftime, we don't win that game.

I said this on the other board also, but with a great win swuch as today you almost hate to pick one player out becaue it was a great team win. However, imho when Tanner escaped what I thought was a sure sack and then made the completion was huge.

The OSDBoy/OSDToy/OSD/Deac65 combo is still undefeated! :dancindeac:

Speaking of play-by-play guys, Stan Cotton, who is our play-by-play guy, hosts the "Jim Grobe Show" on the radio Thursdays from 7-8 p.m. It can be heard live on the WBRF 98.1, Galax, Va. website. I wish a lot more people would listen and call in with questions for Coach. It is like a free chance to talk with him and if more folks would take advantage of this it would make our program seem more popular--you know, step up the hype a little. Nothing better than getting a cold one and talking to Coach Grobe. Nothing better than helping to make the Deacs seem like Winston-Salem's and NC's team.

Agreed. I am gonna try to make it out there this week.

Back