• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Players make case for Buzz?

WinkinDeac

Reaction score
Standard Haas pre-apologies apply, but hadn't seen it elsewhere. Also, definitely not posting because I agree with it, I think it's pretty clear where I stand.

From the Journal's Scott Hamilton:

"The Wake Forest players, however, have their side.
Everyone involved with the team is aware of the negative environment surrounding the program. It’s hard to miss when there are billboards and Twitter hash tags devoted to [Redacted]’s firing.
How do the Wake Forest players handle the controversy?
“Ignore it,” sophomore Devin Thomas said. “The only relevant people are the people in this locker room.”
That’s a typically blunt response from Thomas, a guy who doesn’t mince words. It also seemed to be the company line, even if others worded it differently.
And so after that mind-numbing loss to the Panthers, in which the Deacons looked stunned from start to finish, the Deacons still defended their coach. Is he coming back?
“I sure hope so,” said guard Codi Miller-McIntyre, who laid the blame for losses at the players’ feet."

Full linkhttp://www.journalnow.com/sports/acctournament/analysis-a-case-to-keep-[Redacted]/article_183cb709-c8cb-5c15-bdea-047b84b0d36d.html

Over it. And fuck you Devin. A college basketball program is much bigger than the guys in the locker room. So tired of the us vs. the world shit. Bz and RW have poisoned the well.

“The only relevant people are the people in this locker room."

I know he didn't literally mean to dis faithful fans, but I will probably remember this quote the next time Devin waves his arms to summon the fans (the handful that still come out) out of their seats after one of his thunderous dunks.

I'm way out in left field on this one. I love the players attitude on this. So easy when things are going really bad for a team to say "yeah, it's not me it's the coaches fault".

The Bz years were a disaster but the players attitude are a positive. They acted like men and took the blame.

Time for RW to do the same.

I guess the next time the Deacon Club calls I'll just tell them to ask the players. They're the only relevant people.

This. My biggest problem with [Redacted] and as a result his players is that they all have an attitude that the fans don't matter. This is 100% opposite the attitude of Skip Prosser. He knew the fans would be an integral part of the success of the program both from a financial standpoint and the standpoint of creating a winning atmosphere. Currently this is a team coached by a man that is out of touch with the fans/supporters and as a result the team is clearly out of touch as well.

I'm way out in left field on this one. I love the players attitude on this. So easy when things are going really bad for a team to say "yeah, it's not me it's the coaches fault".

The Bz years were a disaster but the players attitude are a positive. They acted like men and took the blame.

I agree to a point, but there is a way to do it without the "us against the world" attitude.

When you're in the middle of it that has to be your attitude. When it's over and they have a new coach they will be solid with him.

The "us against the fans" attitude has undoubtedly been cultivated by [Redacted]. It's pretty transparent. The new coach would do well to make efforts to repair the relationship.

Fair enough. The context was supplied by Scott Hamilton, not Devin. And the players deserve the benefit of the doubt.

The "us against the fans" attitude has undoubtedly been cultivated by [Redacted]. It's pretty transparent. The new coach would do well to make efforts to repair the relationship.

Hope the players don't read message boards but if they do I think they would have to take some of the posts here a little personal.

Hope the players don't read message boards but if they do I think they would have to take some of the posts here a little personal.

I don't disagree but I also think the coach has exacerbated the issue.

I would tend to agree with this sentiment; however Devin had a chance to do something about it and what did he do? He played some of the time but not all of the time.... I will always pull for our players and I do not expect 18 to 21 year olds to always show "full" development, but come on man -- don't just work hard with your mouth, show something in your play (and not just for 10 minutes), show something in your preparation. I agree with what others have said, Devin will benefit from a Coach more than anyone. He may not be able see that both from a maturation and a being too close to the situation perspective, and I get that, so I will continue to pull for him and encourage him, but he does need to step away from the microphone.

“The only relevant people are the people in this locker room.”

Yeah, this quote pissed me off as well.

Devin, for whatever it is worth to you, if your current coach is back next season, it will be the third season in a row that my happy "irrelevant" ass will not be buying tickets to watch this trainwreck (after being a season ticket holder for twelve straight years).

+1. Furthermore, the player's case for [Redacted] could have been made with consistent effort on the court this year, not whining in the lockeroom and calling the fans irrelevant. Results are what they are boys. Suck it up and get ready to learn a new system! You will all be fine........some of you, anyway.

Devin: There are lots of irrelevant people who have worked their asses off and contributed heavily toward you receiving a 100% free education from one of the top universities in the country. My suggestion would be to button the lips and focus on going to the basket harder, rebounding and free throws in the off-season.

If this is indeed the collective mentality of the team, it is both remarkable and commendable. It has been agony to try to support the program emotionally over this period. Every glimmer of hope is swiftly proven to be nothing more than a mirage. However, I have seen nothing to suggest that the players hate or disrespect the coaching staff or the HC as so many continue to declare. TV cameras are focused on players when they are completely unaware and personally I have seen nothing to suggest disrespect...I saw more from Hood on the Duke bench last night than from any Wake player over the season. That is remarkable! This appears to be a close team. Someone has done a really good job in this regard.

However, it is not the burden of the players to decide what is best for the program. That is why the AD is paid big money! He needs to take the burden off both the players and the fans and make a genuinely wise leadership decision for the present and future of the program.

In the mean time, why don't we support the unity and solidarity of the players. The next coach will need that!

If only RW had enough cojones to shoulder the blame!! It appears that some players, unjustifiably, are doing that, in lieu of that D---head RW!!
He should be gone, as well as BZ!
Incidentally, there is a qualified Assistant coach, sitting on WFU's bench, that has paid extraordinary dues, & would do a decent job. We DO NOT want Marshall,
and it's strongly rumored that VCU is locking up Shaka to a mega $$ deal!

Wow, Devin is such a clueless fool. Calling the fans irrelevant? Wow, just wow. That's the Wake Forest way, huh?

If only RW had enough cojones to shoulder the blame!! It appears that some players, unjustifiably, are doing that, in lieu of that D---head RW!!
He should be gone, as well as BZ!
Incidentally, there is a qualified Assistant coach, sitting on WFU's bench, that has paid extraordinary dues, & would do a decent job. We DO NOT want Marshall,
and it's strongly rumored that VCU is locking up Shaka to a mega $$ deal!

We don't need someone that just does a "decent" job. We need someone that does an extraordinary job. I love Battle but we need a clean break from our current situation. And yes, we DO want Marshall. This mediocrity crap has got to stop.

Back