• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Players to receive $40 million from EA and CLC

Dallas33

Reaction score
Video game producer EA Sports and Collegiate Licensing Company will pay around $40 million to settle lawsuits brought by former players whose likenesses were used without compensation, a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPN's Tom Farrey on Friday.

The number of players to benefit is between 200,000 and 300,000, said Steve Berman, managing partner of the law firm Hagens Berman, who served as co-lead counsel in the class-action lawsuit brought by the players.

SportsNation: EA Sports' big decision
SportsNationEA Sports is leaving the college football game amid recent legal battles. Is this a good move? What happens next? Vote

Current players are eligible to take part in the settlement, sources told ESPN, raising questions about how the NCAA will treat any such financial awards under its rules, which prohibit players from making money from their name as an athlete.

Link To the Story

That's like $100-150/player after the lawyers get paid.

thanks, players, for screwing up EA games for the general public. I remember back in the 90s with my PS when I'd play Wake Forest in a hoops game and it had all these stiffs that looked nothing like the WF players. LAME.

Anyone think that EA will remove the "create a player" and "edit player" features from college sports games, so likenesses can't be created?

Anyone think that EA will remove the "create a player" and "edit player" features from college sports games, so likenesses can't be created?

No, they just won't make the games anymore. They won this settlement based on the height, weight, number, race and home state similarities, not by the fact that fans could put in the names. I don't think it helped that the announcers could also say like 99% of the names of the real players, even if they were obscure names.

Once the Ncaa comes up with a compensation model they will be able to make a game again. The Ncaa is still the only party that has not settled so we will see how this plays out in court.

Last edited:
With 200k-300k claimants and only a 40 million dollar settlement... I think it goes to show how weak the parties thought this case was. These games probably made billions in revenue for EA over the years. And for them to throw 40 mill at this suit is chump change. The glaring weakness to this case is that people buy the games for the schools...not the players.

Last edited:
$40M doesn't even over what these players spent over 4 years to buy NCAA so they could play as themselves.

With 200k-300k claimants and only a 40 million dollar settlement... I think it goes to show how weak the parties thought this case was. These games probably made billions in revenue for EA over the years. And for them to throw 40 mill at this suit is chump change. The glaring weakness to this case is that people buy the games for the schools...not the players.

i would say that's not true. people sell accurate rosters and has increased how many copies are sold.

I agree. The schools barely change from season to season. People didn't buy NCAA 14 instead of holding on to NCAA 13 just so they could play as South Alabama or Old Dominion. I would guess few fans know specifically what game features and mechanics changed from NCAA 13 and NCAA 14. People buy the latest game for the updated rosters and people will even wait to play the game until they can download rosters with names.

I agree. The schools barely change from season to season. People didn't buy NCAA 14 instead of holding on to NCAA 13 just so they could play as South Alabama or Old Dominion. I would guess few fans know specifically what game features and mechanics changed from NCAA 13 and NCAA 14. People buy the latest game for the updated rosters and people will even wait to play the game until they can download rosters with names.

What an outrage!!!!!!

But no worries PH, you don't have to worry about these poor kids being taken advantage of anymore, since EA is just going to stop making the game. Huge victory for justice!!!

Actually you know what, go fuck off PH, and anyone else who walks around life looking to find a victim in every situation. You don't give a flying fuck what the actual solution is, you just want to make a point because your entire identity is tied into always being right.

You never actually fix anything, you just make them worse.

Last edited:
I think the popularity of the dynasty mode proves how much of the popularity is tied to the schools and overall gameplay as opposed to the players in a certain year.

Yeah, I never post solutions. Keep drinking, Brasky.

The dynasty is a mission just like in any video game. They make tweaks to the dynasty to keep it fresh but most people don't know what those tweaks are until they buy it. I doubt that's why people buy a new game every year.

Back