• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Please do not share banner company contact info with the media

card_large_final3.gif

Remember fishdeacon or deaconfish on te old boards? A personal info filled meltdown of epic proportions.

Those aren't Wake's only individual championships.

Curtis Strange, Jay Haas and Garry Hallberg all won golf individual titles before Wellman.

And I think a long distance female runner also won an individual title during the Wellman era.

Curtis Strange, Jay Haas and Garry Hallberg all won golf individual titles before Wellman.

And I think a long distance female runner also won an individual title during the Wellman era.

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

I fit none of your criteria, and I'll defend the athletic department. From people I talk to, I think there are a lot that still defend Wellman and even more that support Grobe. There aren't many on this site, but that's because of the nature of this site - there's not much tolerance of those that write anything positive about the athletic department. Hell, every time I update the "fall sports" thread I get neg reps, and that is for just reporting results from some of our teams. I don't care about the neg reps, but it is representative of this site - not a lot of room for rational discussion, in my opinion.

Ron Wellman is not Jeff [Redacted]. Jim Grobe is not Jeff [Redacted]. Neither are even close. Wellman has presided over the most successful period in the history of the athletic department. 4 of Wake's 8 NCAA championships occurred under Wellman, as well as our only NCAA individual championships (Bielik and Bloom x 2). Some argue that he didn't hire all the championship coaches, which is true, but he kept them at Wake and provided the support necessary for them to succeed at the absolute highest level. There were calls for Vidovich to be fired before his streak of final fours, but Wellman stuck with him (he also hired Vidovich in the first place). Wellman also hired two great coaches for our revenue sports in Grobe and Prosser. Finally, to me, the most important thing Wellman did for Wake Forest athletics never gets mentioned here. He was one of the leaders that helped keep the ACC together last year. If the ACC had fallen apart, Wake would have been left in the dust. That is way more important than a couple seasons of poor performance on the field by the athletic department.

Obviously Wellman isn't perfect (I think he should not have hired [Redacted] and should have let him go after his 3rd season), but he has done a lot of incredibly good things for Wake. Jim Grobe has also done a lot of really good things for Wake, and in my opinion neither deserve a banner flying over the football stadium before a Wake football game.

Rafi,

You make some good points and I don't think you should be slammed on here because you share a different opinion.

From what I have seen, Grobe is a great guy. I also don't dispute that Wellman has done some very, very good things. The however for me with him is the hypocrisy and lack of integrity currently being displayed. How can we continue to support someone who no longer represents the values of WFU? Misleading supporters and citing "culture change" as the reason to keep Buzz while employing the Krispy Kreme "book cooker' is unacceptable at any school, much less WFU. Casstevens pure greed cost many families their retirement. How can any of us be okay with that?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know Wellman as well as I know Grobe. And Grobe is the best football coach I've had in my life. He is an amazing motivator, and cultivator of young men. I think there are far less people calling for his head though. But those that are, are out of their minds.

Please read all of this as honest and not snide.

I think Grobe is a great human and a fantastic representative of Wake Forest. He's brought the greatest high I've ever experienced in my nearly 40 years as a Wake fan.

As someone who knows him and his capabilities, how many years of losing seasons are too many? When is it time to move on?

Rafi,

You make some good points and I don't think you should be slammed on here because you share a different opinion.

From what I have seen, Grobe is a great guy. I also don't dispute that Wellman has done some very, very good things. The however for me with him is the hypocrisy and lack of integrity currently being displayed. How can we continue to support someone who no longer represents the values of WFU? Misleading supporters and citing "culture change" as the reason to keep Buzz while employing the Krispy Kreme "book cooker' is unacceptable at any school, much less WFU. Casstevens pure greed cost many families their retirement. How can any of us be okay with that?

I don't know a lot about the Casstevens situation, besides what I have read on this site, but his hiring does seem questionable.

Regarding the "culture" talk, most on here seem to think Wellman is referring to a problem with our previous culture, and maybe he is. Whenever I hear/read it, I think he's referring to UNC. He obviously isn't going to call out UNC by name, but his comments have come during the past few years, when all the systematic cheating at UNC has been exposed, so when I hear him say we are going to build a championship program "without compromising our values," I've assumed he's essentially saying that we will not be doing things the way they have been done at UNC. Maybe I'm wrong. But if he's referring to a problem with our previous culture, why do previous players (Teague, LD, Ish, CP, etc.) keep coming back to Wake each summer and supporting the athletic department?

I don't know a lot about the Casstevens situation, besides what I have read on this site, but his hiring does seem questionable.

Regarding the "culture" talk, most on here seem to think Wellman is referring to a problem with our previous culture, and maybe he is. Whenever I hear/read it, I think he's referring to UNC. He obviously isn't going to call out UNC by name, but his comments have come during the past few years, when all the systematic cheating at UNC has been exposed, so when I hear him say we are going to build a championship program "without compromising our values," I've assumed he's essentially saying that we will not be doing things the way they have been done at UNC. Maybe I'm wrong. But if he's referring to a problem with our previous culture, why do previous players (Teague, LD, Ish, CP, etc.) keep coming back to Wake each summer and supporting the athletic department?

No one before you has ever interpreted Wellman's words as referring to UNC. Wow.

Good coaches who are consistently underperforming don't deserve to keep their jobs. Good coaches get fired all the time. It's a results-driven world, for better or worse. Nothing about Bz or Grobe or Wellman moving on from Wake would make them any less than the good people, motivators, mentors, role models, or friends they have been to Wake athletes and fans. I have no malice in my heart for any member of Wake athletics, and I thank them for their service to Wake. We all know from Skip Prosser's untimely death that the highest levels of college coaching can be a terrible strain on the highest quality individuals, and our disdain as fans does them no service. However, for me, put up or shut up time has passed. None of the three aforementioned gentlemen have shown themselves capable of competing or having what it takes for the past three years, either in personnel decisions, recruiting, player development, or the ultimate bottom line, results.

I fit none of your criteria, and I'll defend the athletic department. From people I talk to, I think there are a lot that still defend Wellman and even more that support Grobe. There aren't many on this site, but that's because of the nature of this site - there's not much tolerance of those that write anything positive about the athletic department. Hell, every time I update the "fall sports" thread I get neg reps, and that is for just reporting results from some of our teams. I don't care about the neg reps, but it is representative of this site - not a lot of room for rational discussion, in my opinion.

Ron Wellman is not Jeff [Redacted]. Jim Grobe is not Jeff [Redacted]. Neither are even close. Wellman has presided over the most successful period in the history of the athletic department. 4 of Wake's 8 NCAA championships occurred under Wellman, as well as our only NCAA individual championships (Bielik and Bloom x 2). Some argue that he didn't hire all the championship coaches, which is true, but he kept them at Wake and provided the support necessary for them to succeed at the absolute highest level. There were calls for Vidovich to be fired before his streak of final fours, but Wellman stuck with him (he also hired Vidovich in the first place). Wellman also hired two great coaches for our revenue sports in Grobe and Prosser. Finally, to me, the most important thing Wellman did for Wake Forest athletics never gets mentioned here. He was one of the leaders that helped keep the ACC together last year. If the ACC had fallen apart, Wake would have been left in the dust. That is way more important than a couple seasons of poor performance on the field by the athletic department.

Obviously Wellman isn't perfect (I think he should not have hired [Redacted] and should have let him go after his 3rd season), but he has done a lot of incredibly good things for Wake. Jim Grobe has also done a lot of really good things for Wake, and in my opinion neither deserve a banner flying over the football stadium before a Wake football game.

I can do this. Let's replace Buzz today (really, with anyone; I mean that literally; any one). Let's let Wellman retire after this year (he can say it was his idea). Let's keep Grobe. That would satisfy me.

If we can't do that, let's continue our journey from sadness to anger to apathy. "Wake Forest University: where a pathetic athletic department breeds apathetic fans."

Wellman certainly has a long list of shortcomings over the past few years but as Rafi pointed out he also has done a pretty solid job at Wake Forest. He could get a lot of support back if he would just fire Jeff [Redacted] today, tomorrow, or anytime remotely soon. I'm not saying a lot of people would be at OMG RON WELLMAN AS AD FOR LIFE, but a lot of people would respect him a little bit more than they do today if he would just say "I made a mistake, let's all move on." Instead Brennan's words ring more true everyday: this is a seminar in mass alienation.

I'm still interested to hear more about these mysterious people firing guns at a banner-towing airplane. That sounds totally bitchin'. I don't imagine their hit percentage is very high, but then again I've never fired a gun at an airplane in flight. Of course, if I had the airplane banner company's street address, apparently that would help my aim.

Wellman needs to go. Unfortunately, no one can see a banner through the roof of the Joel. If Grobe will replace some assistants I am fine with him staying. I have loved Grobe. That has NOTHING to do with this. The banner was and hopefully will at some point say FIRE WELLMAN. It is time for him to go and I promise you just the threat of this banner has had a huge effect so I can not imagine what the real deal will do.

Do we need to start a new board? This board is becoming "the other board."

Then I would STRONGLY urge you to learn more about it before making assumptions and glossing over this horrendous hire. In my opinion, this single hire alone should have been grounds for Wellman's immediate dismissal. This book cooker should be in a federal prison. He caused hundreds, if not thousands, of families untold financial damage.

Air Signs was contacted by the News and Observer today for comment about the banner not flying.

The N&O reporter got the contact's name from the email that I posted on here on Saturday that JP Mundy included word for word in his article about the story. I was at the game with my kids and was trying to keep everyone updated. I should have taken the time to delete the contact info from the email. I didn't. That was my fault.

Since the N&O contacted them, they are concerned about the safety of their pilot. They have had multiple instances in the past where people that do not support the banner they are flying have made threats, pointed guns at pilots and the planes, etc.

Regardless of whether you support the banner or not, please keep in mind that people's safety come first.

Sounds like they are pissed about the bad publicity. You warned him.

Remember fishdeacon or deaconfish on te old boards? A personal info filled meltdown of epic proportions.

It really sucked that I helped a couple dozen Deacon families for free.

I even offered his employees free service for a year.

Some of you guys really need to get lives and not be so obsessed with me.

I'm still interested to hear more about these mysterious people firing guns at a banner-towing airplane. That sounds totally bitchin'. I don't imagine their hit percentage is very high, but then again I've never fired a gun at an airplane in flight. Of course, if I had the airplane banner company's street address, apparently that would help my aim.

I bet Harv would know something about this....

I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out.

Michelle Sikes and Michael Bingham were also individual NCAA champions under Wellman.

We have one win and now Grobe and Wellman hung the moon. That never happens on this board. I would assume that the news of this board got around during banner talk and now the forgive the coach for one good win group has hijacked this one.

To whom is this becoming "the other board?"

And fyi, i am the reporter. Well, not really, i posed as one to put some heat on them and get them to give me the real info which is which one of you paid them off to call off the banner. You should go ahead and spill it bc I will find out.

Back