• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Please Krauthammer, don't hurt 'em.

Forgot about this thread where jhmd was arguing for austerity to spur us out of recession lol thanks for the afternoon chuckle

Forgot about this thread where jhmd was arguing for austerity to spur us out of recession lol thanks for the afternoon chuckle

Do you not understand or are you intentionally being dishonest? We're twenty trillion in the hole. Going to have to grow up eventually.

Please demonstrate somewhere in the history of modern economies where austerity measures lurched an economy forward and generated more tax revenue to pay down debt. Your grown up fingers should be able to generate lots of links for posting..

Please demonstrate somewhere in the history of modern economies where austerity measures lurched an economy forward and generated more tax revenue to pay down debt. Your grown up fingers should be able to generate lots of links for posting..

He clearly didn't read the Colorado Springs thread. Austerity costs more money in the long run in many cases.

It doesn't. It leads to financial solvency. You have to spend less or equal to the amount you take in. You can't do what Detroit, California and your beloved city do.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2017/...k-Worst-Financial-Shape-Among-Large-US-Cities

It doesn't. It leads to financial solvency. You have to spend less or equal to the amount you take in. You can't do what Detroit, California and your beloved city do.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2017/...k-Worst-Financial-Shape-Among-Large-US-Cities

Its not your household budget, its a super-economy.

Austerity measures contract economies, resulting in contracting incomes and wealth for taxpayers, resulting in contracting revenues to pay down the debt that keeps your sphincter so clenched.

Its not your household budget, its a super-economy.

Austerity measures contract economies, resulting in contracting incomes and wealth for taxpayers, resulting in contracting revenues to pay down the debt that keeps your sphincter so clenched.

Please be the volunteer to explain this to the pensioners upon default. I am sure it will go over well.

Please be the volunteer to explain this to the pensioners upon default. I am sure it will go over well.

aaaaaand there's the pivot.

How in the world do you propose paying down debt with diminishing revenue in a state of protracted or even perpetual recession?

Oh wait, youre all small government and whatnot. The government should step aside and be really small with just military and let the unregulated and barely-taxed free market swing wildly upon the whims of its invisible hand. My bad #GildedAge

Last edited:
Humans are about three or four evolution cycles away from being able to pull off the free market without ruining it by being greedy assholes.

Any chance your party will put up a budget that actually does that? It would appear the budget put forth by the President does not. https://apnews.com/5208a281765c433281497e844c8f24a5/CBO:-Trump's-budget-doesn't-balance-federal-ledger

Do you actually believe your party stands for what you espouse? Because the evidence just doesn't seem to be there.

People are lining up to lend the US money for 10 years at just over 2 percent.

I have an idea that fiscal restraint means primarily cutting the safety net to "provide dignity" while rocking and rolling on tax cuts and military spending.

People are lining up to lend the US money for 10 years at just over 2 percent.

I have an idea that fiscal restraint means primarily cutting the safety net to "provide dignity" while rocking and rolling on tax cuts and military spending.

And the average inflation rate over the past 10 years is 3.22%

aaaaaand there's the pivot.

How in the world do you propose paying down debt with diminishing revenue in a state of protracted or even perpetual recession?

Oh wait, youre all small government and whatnot. The government should step aside and be really small with just military and let the unregulated and barely-taxed free market swing wildly upon the whims of its invisible hand. My bad #GildedAge

It is not a pivot to point out an insolvent sovereign can't pay its own pensions. It is a fact. Put down the formulaic responses and just read.

Who's going to come collecting in this scenario, jh?

In the event of insolvency, you mean? I doubt it unfolds as cleanly as a total collapse. The money is going to self-deport as the faltering governments start to circle the drain.

No. I mean at what point is somebody asking us to pay our debt ahead of the agreed upon schedule and who is that somebody?

The contracts are legal documents which speak for themselves. No one will have a right to demand payment ahead of schedule. That ain't the issue. The issue is when we're spending a greater and greater percentage of our tax dollars servicing the debt, it undercuts the function of our entire government (and confidence in it to manage its affairs, by the paying class). You lose that, you're cooked.

Back