• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Points left on Board

You mean the play where Okoro got juked before the snap and completely blew his assignment? Nice play, but that's on the defense to make sure the man in motion doesn't go scott free.

Lectro, BB's point was that you went against your own point that it wasn't about the red zone, but about the rushing game when you said the rushing game set up the red zone visit.

...and the play worked. It was a well designed play that threw off our guys. It happens, and that's why I think we should incorporate it.

Last edited:
Okoro getting juked had more to do with him getting dragged across the formation where the LB's are while in man coverage so he is forced to run around rather than him screwing up which is what really makes the play work. To defend it you'd really need another defender on the other side of the formation to pick him up as the receiver switched sides.

I thought it was a very well designed play. Okoro has had his share of poor coverage but that wasn't one of them in my opinion.

I'd like to see that and some play action to the TE out of the I formation in goal line situations from Wake.

Ok, I looked at the ACC and we average a whopping 1.5 red zone attempts/game more than the average ACC team. That is 5.85 points/game in red zone production better than the average ACC team* which swamps the 1.6 points/game lost due to red zone inefficiency. So the numbers suggest it is more important for us to get TO the red zone than it is to score a higher percentage of touchdowns when we get there.

* (4.7 points per attempt times 5.5 red zone attempts/game) vs. (5.0 points per attempt times 4.0 red zone attempts/game for average ACC team)

It also proves that if we can continue to move the ball downfield and begin scoring more touchdowns then we could be a LETHAL team offensively. We already average 35 ppg too...this is without a running game as well.

Okoro getting juked had more to do with him getting dragged across the formation where the LB's are while in man coverage so he is forced to run around rather than him screwing up which is what really makes the play work. To defend it you'd really need another defender on the other side of the formation to pick him up as the receiver switched sides.

I thought it was a very well designed play. Okoro has had his share of poor coverage but that wasn't one of them in my opinion.

I'd like to see that and some play action to the TE out of the I formation in goal line situations from Wake.

So you are saying that PhDeac is blaming the player when in fact it was a poor play call by the coordinator... something seems odd here... can't quite put my finger on it... :)

So you are saying that PhDeac is blaming the player when in fact it was a poor play call by the coordinator... something seems odd here... can't quite put my finger on it... :)

It was a good play call by the BC O-coordinator, not a poor one by Wake's D-coordinator.

It was a good play call by the BC O-coordinator, not a poor one by Wake's D-coordinator.

So there's no defensive play that the DC could have called that would have stopped that play?

So there's no defensive play that the DC could have called that would have stopped that play?

Sure there is but it's not like he knew what play they were going to run. Maybe from scouting we noticed BC had a tendency to overload one side on a rollout which necessitates man instead of zone coverage so that's what we called(Making this up, I have no idea). Sometimes you get beat by a well designed play they haven't run before. Clemson will see this on tape and make sure they are prepared for it.

Sure there is but it's not like he knew what play they were going to run. Maybe from scouting we noticed BC had a tendency to overload one side on a rollout which necessitates man instead of zone coverage so that's what we called(Making this up, I have no idea). Sometimes you get beat by a well designed play they haven't run before. Clemson will see this on tape and make sure they are prepared for it.

So, conversely, if the BC OC calls a play but the WF DC calls a defensive play that stuffs the play, it was just a good call by the WF DC not a poor call by the BC OC?

I'm not trying to bust your chops, and I have no idea where you fall on the Lobo debate, just needling the Lobo haters a little.

So, conversely, if the BC OC calls a play but the WF DC calls a defensive play that stuffs the play, it was just a good call by the WF DC not a poor call by the BC OC?

I'm not trying to bust your chops, and I have no idea where you fall on the Lobo debate, just needling the Lobo haters a little.

Could be. Depends on the play. I'm of the opinion that not every play is necessarily a good call by one side and a bad call by the other. The offense does have an inherent advantage in that they know what they are doing and the defense has to react to it so a great offensive play that is well executed will beat an equally great defensive play that is well executed most of the time.

You can say the Wake DC should have prepared the team so that in that circumstance the safety on the other side should have picked up the motion receiver and Okoro picks up the safety's man, a TE, but there is then a mismatch of a CB on a TE.

I don't think you can blame the DC. Like I said above, the defense has got to communicate. "Nice play, but that's on the defense to make sure the man in motion doesn't go scott free." I don't know the formation or assignments, but there's got to be something they can do if a corner loses his man at the line like that. Heck, Okoro could have even called a timeout before the snap when he realized he was clearly beat.

Just watched that play again. Kenny does a pretty good job of staying with the receiver even through the juke until the ball is snapped and the OLB, whose eyes are on the RBs, steps forward to the line anticipating the run right at him since the RBs first step is toward him and screens Okoro forcing him to go around and leaving the WR open.

The timing of the snap more than anything is what screened Kenny and left their WR wide open. No doubt it was drawn up that way. No way for Kenny to know he was screwed until after the snap. If the OLB doesn't step forward he stays with the WR and is in position to make a play.

Last edited:
Just watched that play again. Kenny does a pretty good job of staying with the receiver even through the juke until the ball is snapped and the OLB, whose eyes are on the RBs, steps forward to the line anticipating the run right at him since the RBs first step is toward him and screens Okoro forcing him to go around and leaving the WR open.

The timing of the snap more than anything is what screened Kenny and left their WR wide open. No doubt it was drawn up that way. No way for Kenny to know he was screwed until after the snap. If the OLB doesn't step forward he stays with the WR and is in position to make a play.

That is a very tough play for any corner. It is also a play that is not without risk. What if Kenny had anticipated the play? He had already jumped a WR screen and had he not forced Rettig to throw it high and out of bounds the Deacs could have had its first pick 6.

* You will also note that Zach Allen's hit on Harris sent BC's all-time rushing leader to the sidelines. I would wager that were Montel 100% then he would have taken the handoff in that position.

It also proves that if we can continue to move the ball downfield and begin scoring more touchdowns then we could be a LETHAL team offensively. We already average 35 ppg too...this is without a running game as well.

This is how I feel about the Offense.

Look, we have a good young QB but he is still growing as a player. He gets a little bit better each time out but it is his consistency that needs some work. Again, if you will look at how our Offense performs coming out of the tunnel for each half then you will note a more heightened awareness...they start out sharp and then wane a bit in execution. As the OL continues to gel and blend new players into the rotation then I think the run-block aspect will improve.

Back