• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police arrest man who was videotaping them, then shoot his dog

Link doesn't work.

Police violence thread. And I fixed the link. Tried to just remove the m. to make it not a mobile link, but that didn't work.

Police violence thread. And I fixed the link. Tried to just remove the m. to make it not a mobile link, but that didn't work.

I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but if a cop shoots me, feel free to start a new thread, rather than lumping me in with one about a dog.

Ok. There's some discussion of this on the gun violence thread. Another article I saw said another officer tried to taze him. Apparently there were other officers who fired shots or didn't try to stop the officers who did. Are they being charged?

This whole thing sounded really weird to me from the get go. I am in no way saying the police officer should have shot him, but the national stories are spinning this as "cop shoots unarmed man." The local stories though, have a lot more information. Apparently this guy might have been in a car accident and was looking for help. He knocked on a lady's door at 2 a.m. and she thought it was her husband. She opened the door and saw this guy and thought he was there to rob her so she slammed the door and called 911. Because of that call, the cops are in the neighborhood looking for a "robber" when they see this guy who fits the description.

Then it's unclear what really happened. The rest sounds like cops trying to get their story straight, but they claim they approached the guy and he just charged them, going after this one officer in particular. One of the other officers tried to taze him but it didn't stop him. However, it almost sounds like that was going on simultaneously with the officer shooting the guy.

As far as I know, no charges for any cops other than the shooter.

Apparently this guy might have been in a car accident and was looking for help. He knocked on a lady's door at 2 a.m. and she thought it was her husband. She opened the door and saw this guy and thought he was there to rob her so she slammed the door and called 911. Because of that call, the cops are in the neighborhood looking for a "robber" when they see this guy who fits the description.

Saying he knocked on the door is a little different than the 911 call the lady made.

"There's a guy breaking in my front door,"
"He's trying to kick it down." As she anxiously awaits police, she repeatedly asks, "Oh my God, are they almost here?"

I haven't read enough about this case to know all the details, but what 24 year old doesn't have a cell phone on him? Assuming that he didn't, what does he expect the lady to be able to do other than call 911?
Seems obvious the cop overreacted though. Just a question if the charges get upped from voluntary manslaughter to something else.

Definitely not saying that police should have shot the dude, but there is more than a little evidence of erratic behavior here.

Single car crash, fearful reaction of neighbor lady, charging at cops. I would be interested to see a toxicology report from the body.

Definitely may be a case of Queen City Crackas fearing for their lillywhite lives in the face of an imagined black menace, but it could also be that dude was filled to the brim with weed and bathsalts and was going HAM on anyone in range.

Definitely not saying that police should have shot the dude, but there is more than a little evidence of erratic behavior here.

Single car crash, fearful reaction of neighbor lady, charging at cops. I would be interested to see a toxicology report from the body.

Definitely may be a case of Queen City Crackas fearing for their lillywhite lives in the face of an imagined black menace, but it could also be that dude was filled to the brim with weed and bathsalts and was going HAM on anyone in range.

Clean toxicology report. I wouldn't make too many assumptions about the race of the homeowner in that part of town.

A frightened 911 call

The 911 call came to police dispatch at 2:36 a.m.

Frantic and crying, the caller said a man had tried to force his way into her home.

On the 17-minute recording, the woman says she thought her husband was coming home from work.

Instead, she encountered a man later identified as Ferrell. She fought to get the door closed. She said he was trying to kick it down.

“There’s a guy breaking in my front door,” she said. “He’s trying to get in.”

It took officers about 11 minutes to arrive.

As the woman spoke to the dispatcher, the recording paints a picture of a chaotic scene. The home’s alarm system blared. A representative from a security company talked to her over a speaker while she relayed information to police. The family dog was barking.

The woman worried about her baby, asleep in a nearby room.

She told the dispatcher she couldn’t remember where her husband kept his gun.

Ninety seconds into the call, a man can be heard loudly saying, “Hello?” The rest of his words are garbled.

It’s unclear if the voice was Ferrell’s.

The dispatcher asks if the man is in the house. “He’s not in the house he’s in the front yard yelling. Oh my God, please, I can’t believe I opened the door. I don’t know what the f*** is wrong with me,” she said.

Six minutes into the call the woman says she thinks the man left her property “because we have a security motion light and it turned off.”

More than 11 minutes into the call, the woman said she could see officers.

The dispatcher said one would likely come to her door. But the woman began screaming when she saw them running away.

“Oh my god, where is he going? Why is he running? What the f***?...Oh my God, they really left. There’s three cops and they all left.”

The dispatcher asked the woman if she was still safe in her house.

“They might have seen him,” the dispatcher says. “They might have gone to get him.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...-heard-on-911.html#.UjnJ9cakrGE#storylink=cpy

Saying he knocked on the door is a little different than the 911 call the lady made.

"There's a guy breaking in my front door,"
"He's trying to kick it down." As she anxiously awaits police, she repeatedly asks, "Oh my God, are they almost here?"

I haven't read enough about this case to know all the details, but what 24 year old doesn't have a cell phone on him? Assuming that he didn't, what does he expect the lady to be able to do other than call 911?
Seems obvious the cop overreacted though. Just a question if the charges get upped from voluntary manslaughter to something else.

The phone could have been lost in the accident. Maybe he did expect her to call 911 for him.

The fact the cop shot at him 12 times made me think of this quote posted on the Navy Yard thread:
“I did not understand that if I…pull out a gun and shoot you, there’s a good chance you’re not getting back up,” Ramsey said in a 2007 interview from Spring Creek Correctional Center, in Seward, Alaska. “You shoot a guy in ‘Doom’ and he gets back up. You have got to shoot the things in ‘Doom’ eight or nine times before it dies."

Somehow, officers in rural Hall County, GA were able to subdue a large, violent unarmed man without seriously hurting him.

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/cops-nude-man-arrested-after-fighting-officers-in-/nZ8B5/

After receiving calls, police arrived in the area of Bill’s Circle around 4 p.m. Wednesday and found 38-year-old Keary Maurice Nicely naked and behaving in a strange manner, police spokesman Stephen Wilbanks said.
Nicely allegedly attacked the officers, who initially used stun guns, batons and pepper spray, but did not deter him, Wilbanks said. Nicely then swam into a nearby lake and held onto a dock, he said.
The Hall County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team then used shotgun bean-bag rounds, 40mm foam impact rounds and concussion grenades to finally take Nicely into custody about 45 minutes after officers arrived on scene, he said.

There was some large crazy black man walking up the middle of Clairmont road, a four lane road, giving no shits about any cars yesterday. Had traffic back up a mile as people swerved to avoid hitting him. Hopefully he got some taser and bean bag treatment as well.

since this thread got bumped, and nobody wanted to play when i transitioned from financial, to social problems caused by cops, i have a remaining questions back to finances.

so, even though historically cop = tax collector (sheriff of nottingham), and, somehow, if we follow the money we find no government office is reliant on this income in any way--nothing would be cut and services across the board would remain the same if police stopped writing tickets is my understanding of deakhawk? and IbE's position, then i have two questions.

1) what are speeding traps for?
2) what's the quota for?

my friend's brother who was a WSPD beat cop for 2-3 years recently told me that all WSPD officers are supervised by a lieutenant and must meet a quota. if they do not meet this quota, they must submit in writing the reason this quota wasn't met to their lieutenant. I said if I had to write such a letter the body would have only read: "i didn't meet the quota, because people weren't breaking the law." to which i was told the Lt. would say to me: "you need to look harder," and that "a good cop can always find crime."

think about that for a second.

so if nobody needs or wants or cares about this traffic money, if it's not a defacto tax, why the quota? how is it good policing to make an arbitrary number of citations that must be met or exceeded, or you risk being passed up for promotion, pay raises, and falling out of favor with the higher ups? Friend's brother is one of the more responsible, thoughtful cops (though still no newton or einstein that's for sure) but got himself promoted...people like him are better suited on the streets precisely because they can think and don't take people in on a knee-jerk, yet they're always promoted off the streets...anyway he wants to write to the WSJ about current WSPD practices, but he's scared to, and, being a company man, doesn't know if it's the right thing to do.

anyway so if nobody is reliant on the money, and nobody will miss it if it dries up, why the quota? and two, how does starting with the premise "there is always crime you just gotta find it" make any fucking sense whatsoever? i really hope people disagree with me because it's me, not because they can't see the lunacy that is the current implementation of LE in the U.S.

also, if bubba deac wants to answer any of this stuff (including my last couple posts in this thread) from his pov, would be interesting.

Last edited:
since this thread got bumped, and nobody wanted to play when i transitioned from financial, to social problems caused by cops, i have a remaining questions back to finances.

so, even though historically cop = tax collector (sheriff of nottingham), and, somehow, if we follow the money we find no government office is reliant on this income in any way--nothing would be cut and services across the board would remain the same if police stopped writing tickets is my understanding of deakhawk? and IbE's position, then i have two questions.

1) what are speeding traps for?
2) what's the quota for?

my friend's brother who was a WSPD beat cop for 2-3 years recently told me that all WSPD officers are supervised by a lieutenant and must meet a quota. if they do not meet this quota, they must submit in writing the reason this quota wasn't met to their lieutenant. I said if I had to write such a letter the body would have only read: "i didn't meet the quota, because people weren't breaking the law." to which i was told the Lt. would say to me: "you need to look harder," and that "a good cop can always find crime."

think about that for a second.

so if nobody needs or wants or cares about this traffic money, if it's not a defacto tax, why the quota? how is it good policing to make an arbitrary number of citations that must be met or exceeded, or you risk being passed up for promotion, pay raises, and falling out of favor with the higher ups? Friend's brother is one of the more responsible, thoughtful cops (though still no newton or einstein that's for sure) but got himself promoted...people like him are better suited on the streets precisely because they can think and don't take people in on a knee-jerk, yet they're always promoted off the streets...anyway he wants to write to the WSJ about current WSPD practices, but he's scared to, and, being a company man, doesn't know if it's the right thing to do.

anyway so if nobody is reliant on the money, and nobody will miss it if it dries up, why the quota? and two, how does starting with the premise "there is always crime you just gotta find it" make any fucking sense whatsoever? i really hope people disagree with me because it's me, not because they can't see the lunacy that is the current implementation of LE in the U.S.

also, if bubba deac wants to answer any of this stuff (including my last couple posts in this thread) from his pov, would be interesting.

I assure you that no one still cares. On the portion of Interstate 75/85 that goes through downtown Atlanta, the speed limit is 55mph. Tens of Thousands of cars navigate that section every day, and probably less than 20% are going below 60. Atlanta could divert a permanent force of 50 cops to sit on the connector all day every day and they still couldnt catch everyone.

well i know of at least one WSPD officer who believes such practices are unethical, and is considering writing to the WSJ and signing it as a former traffic cop, but he's hesitant to speak against the establishment he works for and, on the whole, ideologically believes in his job.

Back