• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police Just a Wee Bit Antsy

Big shock that individuals in the firearms industry would support an organization that supports firearms ownership and has 4+ million people on their mailing list (more, since as a former member I still get mailings from the NRA).

I've never been an NRA member, but I think I'm permanently banned from their telemarketer list. About 3 or 4 years ago, I get a telemarketer call one Saturday morning. It was disguised as a "public opinion poll" but they switch it up and end up asking for a monetary donation to the NRA. So this lady calls (apparently a high-dollar telemarketer because she actually spoke in English and in a gramatically correct manner) and asked me to take part in her public opinion poll and said "What is your opinion of Barak Obama's efforts to take guns away from law-abiding citizens?". And I started yelling "Oh hell no! Oh hell no! That Moos-lim ain't going to take away my guns!". My wife heard me yelling and walked in the room because she thought I might be in distress. Soon after, my kids walked it, and they were all laughing out loud. They later told me I sounded a lot like Hank Hill. And I keep this lady on the phone yelling and ranting about Muslims and liberal America and Barak Hussain Obama for at least 15 minutes. The strange thing is that, although my entire family was laughing out loud in the background, this telemarketer was very earnestly agreeing with everything I said. Then, when she thought she had me hooked, she hit me up for a tax-deductible donation of $25, $50, or $100 to help secure the rights of law-abiding citizens, and I just said "no thanks" and hung up immediately. I never heard back from them.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think the camera thing will be excused as well. Since they were assuming some kind of criminal enterprise, it would be reasonable to assume the cameras gave away their position or strategy.

And now that I think about it even more, why did that house have a bunch of cameras?

Probably for the same reason the guy had his (permitted) gun on him while taking a shit.

Big shock that individuals in the firearms industry would support an organization that supports firearms ownership and has 4+ million people on their mailing list (more, since as a former member I still get mailings from the NRA).

My father thinks it is hilarious to sign me up each year. I don't even recycle those magazines. They go straight in the trash where they belong.

The deputies said they announced their presence upon entering and were met in the hallway by the 80-year-old man, wielding a gun and stumbling towards them. The deputies later changed the story when the massive bloodstains on Mallory's mattress indicated to investigators that he'd most likely been in bed at the time of the shooting. Investigators also found that an audio recording of the incident revealed a discrepancy in the deputies' original narrative: Before listening to the audio recording, [Sgt. John] Bones believed that he told Mallory to "Drop the gun" prior to the shooting. The recording revealed, however, that his commands to "Drop the gun" occurred immediately after the shooting.

When it was all over, Eugene Mallory died of six gunshot wounds from Sgt. John Bones' MP-5 9mm submachine gun. When a coroner arrived, he found the loaded .22 caliber pistol the two deputies claimed Mallory had pointed at them on the bedside table.

Mallory had not fired of a single shot. The raid turned up no evidence of methamphetamine on the property.

This type of thing could happen to anybody. Anybody.

The NRA doesn't sell guns. They just want you to be able to buy them.

The NRA is an industrial trade group made of gun manufacturers. Yes, they sell guns.

The NRA was a pretty liberal group mostly formed up of (and funded) by individuals for most of it's history. They helped write the 1934 National Firearms Act and the 1938 Gun Control Act, for example. It was until 1976, when the NRA leadership was basically evicted in a coup that the giant corporate money from the gun manufacturers began to flow in and effectively hijacked the organization and turned it into what it is now.

I'm not sure there's a better modern example of the corrupting influence that massive corporate funding can have on a political organization than the NRA.

this is how they should handle hackers and malware programmers. Also, credit card/identity thieves hurt more people/businesses than some asshole robbing a liquor store. i'm more concerned about the waste of tax dollars involved here.

indeed, the best way to fight electronic crime is electronically--you must employ better hackers than the hackers. cyber mafias are ripping off corporations and private citizens for billions, maybe hundreds of billions a year, yet police are still geared to deal with petty street/blue collar crimes. Not that local police can do much about the Chinese or Russian cyber mob, but they can work on domestic identity fraud.

Back