• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Police Officer accidentally shoots 70 yr old man at traffic stop on NC-SC border

These are interesting numbers. As you say, the figure of 309 killed by law enforcement includes all deaths, whether justified or accidental/negligent, and by any and all means. I haven't dug too deep into the link you posted, but I wonder if that 309 even includes people killed in car accidents with law enforcement who are running blue-light traffic (such as driving through a red light into an intersection while responding to a call, etc.).

no, it just includes shootings basically. I found this link on traffic fatalities involving police chases but it's really old, 1994-2002. http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/2/93.long

During that time span there were 1008 people killed in these pursuits who were not in the car being pursued (so, innocent victims). 1008/9 years = 112 people a year.

If you click through that Wikipedia entry I posted almost all of the LEO shootings involve someone who was armed, committing a crime, assaulting an officer, etc. A few seem questionable on their face but the vast majority involve an armed suspect threatening an officer.

RJ:

Where did you get this information? I have re-read the article from the OP several times and did not find it mentioned anywhere that the Deputy knew what you say that he knew. The article says that Mr. Canipe was from Lincolnton, North Carolina, and that the deputy who mistakenly shot him was from York County, South Carolina.

I certainly agree that if the Deputy knew the driver of the vehicle, particularly that he was elderly, that that would change the arithmetic of the situation.

I think what he's saying is his computer told him who owned the truck when he ran the tags before he stopped it. Granted, owner and current driver are two different things, but without any reason to suspect otherwise the officer would have known the name and basic physical characteristics of the person he was pulling over.

no, it just includes shootings basically. I found this link on traffic fatalities involving police chases but it's really old, 1994-2002. http://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/10/2/93.long

During that time span there were 1008 people killed in these pursuits who were not in the car being pursued (so, innocent victims). 1008/9 years = 112 people a year.

If you click through that Wikipedia entry I posted almost all of the LEO shootings involve someone who was allegedlyarmed, committing a crime, assaulting an officer, etc. A few seem questionable on their face but the vast majority involve an armed suspect threatening an officer.

had to add that important distinction, as planting things or even just making things up isn't unheard of. I'm sure most of the shootings are clear cut. I bet a lot (as opposed to "a few") are not though, and i bet some are completely unjustified (whether unjustified shootings like in the OP merit further punishment beyond being fired idk).

Last edited:
RJ:

Where did you get this information? I have re-read the article from the OP several times and did not find it mentioned anywhere that the Deputy knew what you say that he knew. The article says that Mr. Canipe was from Lincolnton, North Carolina, and that the deputy who mistakenly shot him was from York County, South Carolina.

I certainly agree that if the Deputy knew the driver of the vehicle, particularly that he was elderly, that that would change the arithmetic of the situation.

Cops have computers in the cars or tiny place call in the plates. If he didn't know who the car, then he wasn't doing his job properly.

Outrage over police shootings (cnn video):

[video]http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/us/2014/03/31/hln-vo-albuquerque-police-violence.hln.html[/video]

just to better support what i was saying above...this would be an example of a shooting where the police assert the guy was armed and dangerous, but the video evidence, taken by the police themselves, seems to suggest otherwise. that's why it's so important to remember allegations are nothing more than that...allegations.

Last edited:
Feel free to look up the 105 times that the LAPD shot at the two women who were not Chris Dorner, driving the wrong model truck, without the right plate number, who delivered a newspaper to a driveway that sounded like a gun shot. Why are those policemen still employed when they panic fired?

If you can't see how much sarcasm that it, you need to chill a bit.

Cops have computers in the cars or tiny place call in the plates. If he didn't know who the car, then he wasn't doing his job properly.

Indeed. And he should've further known that old people don't commit crimes. That's police 101.

If you can't see how much sarcasm that it, you need to chill a bit.

Maybe you should not be so callous regarding jokes about people's family members who you are not acquainted with. Food for thought...

after watching the OP video again, i feel even more sad watching all those police drive up and try to fix what they did..it's absolutely tragic. Thank god the old timer lived, i had thought he died.

http://time.com/#73226/nypd-twitter-photo-violence-brutality-backfire/

A New York City Police Department request for Twitter users to share pictures of themselves posing with police officers was met with photos of police brutality.

Looking at #myNYPD on Twitter leads to some pretty interesting results. As one person just tweeted, "Brands/orgs just do not realize that when you create a hashtag, you have almost no control over it #myNYPD"

Editted to say, I don't think the #myNYPD backlash deserves its own thread, but I figured it would be worth sharing because of the photos of police brutality that would obviously fit into this thread

Last edited:
This was announced last week, but no one has yet posted about it.

The deputy who mistakenly shot the 70-year old man was absolved of any wrongdoing.

http://myfox8.com/2014/08/15/no-charges-for-sc-deputy-who-shot-70-year-old-nc-man/
http://www.policeone.com/dash-cam-2...charges-in-shooting-of-man-reaching-for-cane/

No shock there. "Qualified immunity", "followed departmental procedures", "just following orders"...

Again, had anyone on this forum made the same mistake...

No shock there. "Qualified immunity", "followed departmental procedures", "just following orders"...

Again, had anyone on this forum made the same mistake...
Right. And how does it affect him in future situations where a split second decision needs to be made?

And obviously no elderly men ever shoot at cops for no apparent reason.

Right. And how does it affect him in future situations where a split second decision needs to be made?

That cop just learned that he can shoot first and the questions asked later will not affect his decision or pension. Qualified immunity needs to be done away with...

That cop just learned that he can shoot first and the questions asked later will not affect his decision or pension. Qualified immunity needs to be done away with...

We can agree on something.

Back