• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

POLL: Predict the wins in basketball...

How many regular season basketball games will the Buzz-led Deacs win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bz is ahead of my expectations so far. He actually won a game in the Battle for Atlantis and beat Richmond. Since I only had him winning three more games from this point on (Clemson, GT, and BC), I'll go out on a limb and say he beats VT as well.

So far this season CMM and Moto are better than I expected. Cav maybe a little better than I expected. The rest of the rotation is about where I thought they would be. Rountree isn't where I hoped he'd be and Travis' slump wasn't expected but he obviously intends to turn that around. Williams was the wild card and he's played well. This is the best team we've had under Bz and my prediction of 14 wins is going to go down in flames. We are not bad at home.

I think Duke Antonelli is really holding us back. We have a guy on our team whose name is Duke? Seriously?

I'm feeling good about my 16 win projection. Given our winnable games remaining and our pretty sure losers, we should come within a game either way of 16.

Cav is better than I expected.

If I had to vote now, I would bump my projection up to 17-18. BC and GT at home should be wins. Good chance with ND and there are enough possible wins there that I would be really surprised if we don't get to 17.

Cav is better than I expected.

If I had to vote now, I would bump my projection up to 17-18. BC and GT at home should be wins. Good chance with ND and there are enough possible wins there that I would be really surprised if we don't get to 17.

Yeah, it would really surprise me if we didn't at least hit 17 at this point.

Our current projected win total is 17.97 games (so basically 5-7 over the rest of the year).

At least 60% favorite (3): Notre Dame (63%), Georgia Tech (79%), Boston College (84%)

At least 50% favorite (1): Clemson (51%)

At least 40% favorite (0)

At least 30% favorite (4): N.C. State (37%), Florida State (34%), Maryland (32%), Miami (34%)

At least 20% favorite (3): Syracuse (22%), North Carolina (23%), Duke (28%)

At least 10% favorite (1): Duke (10%)

18 is looking pretty good, particularly if we win the three games we're 60% favorites.

Currently projected to finish in a three-way tie with Maryland and UNC for 7th through 9th (at 8-10 in the conference).

Our current projected win total is 17.97 games.

At least 60% favorite (3): Notre Dame (63%), Georgia Tech (79%), Boston College (84%)

At least 50% favorite (1): Clemson (51%)

At least 40% favorite (0)

At least 30% favorite (4): N.C. State (37%), Florida State (34%), Maryland (32%), Miami (34%)

At least 20% favorite (3): Syracuse (22%), North Carolina (23%), Duke (28%)

At least 10% favorite (1): Duke (10%)

18 is looking pretty good, particularly if we win the three games we're 60% favorites.

Should be 0%.

How are they doing the tourney this year? All 15 teams and giving #1 a bye? Not sure how you could do 7 games in 1 day unless you started at 8:00 a.m. Or are they just taking the top 12, giving the top 4 byes and jettisoning Eddie and the Walk-ons and the next 2 worst teams? Guess it doesn't matter because we'll finish 8th-10th so we'll pretty much be playing the same caliber team either way. FWIW, if they're just taking the top 12, it could be a while before VT gets to play in another ACC Tourney.

We ended up on the raw end of the deal having to play at Virginia, Pitt, and Duke this year. Only thing that would have made it worse was having to play in the Carrier Dome. Wake hasn't won in Cameron since Duncan right? I don't anticipate this team is the one to do it.

On an ACC note, there's a decent chance either Pitt or Syracuse wins the national title. The ACC has two of the top four teams in KP right now (Pitt is 3rd, Syracuse is 4th).

How are they doing the tourney this year? All 15 teams and giving #1 a bye? Not sure how you could do 7 games in 1 day unless you started at 8:00 a.m. Or are they just taking the top 12, giving the top 4 byes and jettisoning Eddie and the Walk-ons and the next 2 worst teams? Guess it doesn't matter because we'll finish 8th-10th so we'll pretty much be playing the same caliber team either way. FWIW, if they're just taking the top 12, it could be a while before VT gets to play in another ACC Tourney.

ACCT starts on Wednesday this year. http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/acc-tourney-14.pdf

Wednesday:

10 v. 15
11 v. 14
12 v. 13

Thursday

5 v. (12 v. 13 winner)
6 v. (11 v. 14 winner)
7 v. (10 v. 15 winner)
8 v. 9

Then normal the rest of the way. That isn't the order of the games obviously.

Wake has four big games left seeding wise: Maryland, UNC, Notre Dame, and Miami

I think there's a pretty solid chance Wake plays Maryland again (for the fourth time in six years in the ACCT). Maybe we could beat them this time in the 8 v. 9 game and permanently end their ACC basketball affiliation. If that happened in Greensboro I would imagine most people (read everyone) would be pulling their asses off for Wake and that there would be more than a few signs targeting Maryland.

I don't imagine the ACC Tournament will be pretty for Maryland this year.

Last edited:
We ended up on the raw end of the deal having to play at Virginia, Pitt, and Duke this year. Only thing that would have made it worse was having to play in the Carrier Dome. Wake hasn't won in Cameron since Duncan right? I don't anticipate this team is the one to do it.

On an ACC note, there's a decent chance either Pitt or Syracuse wins the national title. The ACC has two of the top four teams in KP right now (Pitt is 3rd, Syracuse is 4th).

Pitt is usually a bit of a paper tiger. They almost always look good statistically, yet they aren't quite elite enough athletically to get over the top. Essentially a less white version of Wisconsin. But maybe this is the year they break through and make a Final Four.

Pitt is usually a bit of a paper tiger. They almost always look good statistically, yet they aren't quite elite enough athletically to get over the top. Essentially a less white version of Wisconsin. But maybe this is the year they break through and make a Final Four.

Yeah they're pretty damn athletic this year. By far my favorite team to watch play this year. Dixon is one of the best coaches in the nation. They have slightly better talent on the team than we do (based on recruiting rankings) and are third in KenPom.

If we end up seeded 10th or 11th, there is a decent chance that we could win 2 games in the ACC Tournament...which could get us to 20 wins...and secure an NIT bid.

(That's basically what the 2006 team did, though with only 17 wins.)

Agreed. It's going to take 20 wins to make the NIT with the OOC we played.

Ironically enough we are going to end up with either the hardest or second hardest ACC schedule in the conference.

Problem is I don't see us ending the season below Notre Dame, Miami, or State which means that we will be 7, 8, or 9 and even with a win in the first round will end up against UVA, Pitt, or Syracuse.

Yeah they're pretty damn athletic this year. By far my favorite team to watch play this year. Dixon is one of the best coaches in the nation. They have slightly better talent on the team than we do (based on recruiting rankings) and are third in KenPom.

Losing Durand Johnson for the year will probably catch up to them eventually.

Currently projected to finish in a three-way tie with Maryland and UNC for 7th through 9th (at 8-10 in the conference).

Yeah, but you're just looking at stats. We're a god awful road team. I'd be astonished if we picked up more than 1 more road win. I look at it this way. GT & BC are very probable Ws. ND & Clemson are 50/50 - neither are that talented but both are well coached and actually play defense (I'm not impressed with Brownell as a recruiter, but he seems to be fundamentally sound). At Miami is winnable because of their lack of talent and experience. The rest of the road games I'd be astonished if we won 1. Ain't no way State and UNC lose to us at home after we beat them in Winston (they won't come out flat), and while MD and FSU aren't anything to write home about, they won't lose on their courts. No reason to even mention Dick and Syracuse. So I'd set the O/U at 4.

Back