• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Who do you vote for? Trump vs. Clinton

Would would you vote for?

• Total voters
Compose more snarky self-serving replies perhaps?

Meh, people can disagree with you without snark or self-interest.

Of all of the political watchers I know, you strike me as uniquely not upset at Settling for Hillary(TM). You really like her as a leader?

I saw a meme on Facebook this morning - a picture of a kid holding a fork next to an electrical outlet, with the caption "Clinton or Trump, the top socket or the bottom socket?" That about sums it up for me at this point.

Meh, people can disagree with you without snark or self-interest.

Of all of the political watchers I know, you strike me as uniquely not upset at Settling for Hillary(TM). You really like her as a leader?

Compared to everybody else in this field? Absolutely.

I'm not reading the previous ten pages, so I apologize if I am regurgitating what has already been said on here. If Trump is the nominee, I will not vote for President. I will vote down ballot, but not for Trump and not for Hillary. I cannot support either.

What will be interesting to see (should Trump take the nomination) is the impact that Trump will have on down ballot Republicans. His candidacy will have massive negative repercussions nationwide for Republicans (and I'm not convinced that Cruz won't have the same effect as well). Many conservatives - turned off by Trump - will simply opt not to vote.

That is the second scariest thing about this election cycle. (The scariest being a Trump victory in November.)

I'm not reading the previous ten pages, so I apologize if I am regurgitating what has already been said on here. If Trump is the nominee, I will not vote for President. I will vote down ballot, but not for Trump and not for Hillary. I cannot support either.

What will be interesting to see (should Trump take the nomination) is the impact that Trump will have on down ballot Republicans. His candidacy will have massive negative repercussions nationwide for Republicans (and I'm not convinced that Cruz won't have the same effect as well). Many conservatives - turned off by Trump - will simply opt not to vote.

That is the second scariest thing about this election cycle. (The scariest being a Trump victory in November.)

You are exaggerating his negative down ballot effect. As I said earlier on another thread, I think he will actually be helpful for Pub senate candidates in AR, MO, IN, LA and possibly PA because of his likely popularity outside of Philly and Pittsburgh. He'll hurt Johnson in WI and Kirk in IL, but they're probably deadmen walking already. He definitely hurts Heck in NV and probably hurts in NH, FL, OH and maybe AZ. But FWIW, Cruz may be worse down ballot because he hurts worse than Trump in NH, PA, OH & WI. And Trump has a much better chance of getting elected than Cruz does. And neither Trump nor Cruz hurt in the House because 90% of those races are essentially uncontested. They might help lose a few House seats that Jeb or Kasich wouldn't lose, but the Pub lead there is so large that it doesn't matter.

You are exaggerating his negative down ballot effect. As I said earlier on another thread, I think he will actually be helpful for Pub senate candidates in AR, MO, IN, LA and possibly PA because of his likely popularity outside of Philly and Pittsburgh. He'll hurt Johnson in WI and Kirk in IL, but they're probably deadmen walking already. He definitely hurts Heck in NV and probably hurts in NH, FL, OH and maybe AZ. But FWIW, Cruz may be worse down ballot because he hurts worse than Trump in NH, PA, OH & WI. And Trump has a much better chance of getting elected than Cruz does. And neither Trump nor Cruz hurt in the House because 90% of those races are essentially uncontested. They might help lose a few House seats that Jeb or Kasich wouldn't lose, but the Pub lead there is so large that it doesn't matter.

You are assuming that Trump will get a large majority of Republicans to vote for him in the General. It's not going to work that way.

35 - 45% of voting republicans in a district doesn't win you many races. Even if that jumps to 75 - 85%, you still lose a lot of winnable races. I have worked for campaigns and elected officials. I have never missed a vote, and have always voted straight republican. If you have people like me saying they won't pull the lever for Trump, then you are going to have less motivated voters not even show up to the polls.

Trump cannot win the general, and must not be allowed to take the candidacy.

When Trump starts slinging mud against HillDawg, even Mittens is gonna be ready to make America great again.

You are assuming that Trump will get a large majority of Republicans to vote for him in the General. It's not going to work that way.

35 - 45% of voting republicans in a district doesn't win you many races. Even if that jumps to 75 - 85%, you still lose a lot of winnable races. I have worked for campaigns and elected officials. I have never missed a vote, and have always voted straight republican. If you have people like me saying they won't pull the lever for Trump, then you are going to have less motivated voters not even show up to the polls.

Trump cannot win the general, and must not be allowed to take the candidacy.

Whoa, there. As Thornton Mellon would say, "You left out a lot of things":

1) You greatly underestimate the Republicans' tendency to be loyal to Republican candidates when "push comes to shove" on Election Day. They are far more loyal than Democrats in that regard.

2) Even more importantly, you greatly underestimate Hillary Clinton's ability to unite possibly unhappy Republican voters.

3) About those "motivated voters"...have you not checked the numbers in all these Republican primaries? They are up 50% to 70% overall. Somebody must be motivating them.....and I have a hunch that we know who that is. You may decide to stay home if you like the idea of President Hillary Clinton....but there are tons of new GOP voters coming from somewhere, and Trump also has the ability to draw independents and blue collar Democrats.

Whoa, there. As Thornton Mellon would say, "You left out a lot of things":

1) You greatly underestimate the Republicans' tendency to be loyal to Republican candidates when "push comes to shove" on Election Day. They are far more loyal than Democrats in that regard.

2) Even more importantly, you greatly underestimate Hillary Clinton's ability to unite possibly unhappy Republican voters.

3) About those "motivated voters"...have you not checked the numbers in all these Republican primaries? They are up 50% to 70% overall. Somebody must be motivating them.....and I have a hunch that we know who that is. You may decide to stay home if you like the idea of President Hillary Clinton....but there are tons of new GOP voters coming from somewhere, and Trump also has the ability to draw independents and blue collar Democrats.

1.) When was the last time the Republicans had a candidate who garnered this type of reaction from within the party? I've held my nose and voted for R's before, but Trump's stench doesn't wash off.

2.) I don't discount that at all. However, a Hillary presidency doesn't sound nearly as bad as a Trump presidency to this Republican. Plus, Trump hasn't begun to see negative campaigning. Imagine what Hillary is going to be able to do to him. (Not to mention the fact that he donated money to her!)

3.) Sure, he brings in new voters. But do they come back? Do blue collar democrats come back after the unions start pushing Hillary on them?

1.) When was the last time the Republicans had a candidate who garnered this type of reaction from within the party? I've held my nose and voted for R's before, but Trump's stench doesn't wash off. If you voted to give W a 2nd term I don't know why you would ever vote against another Republican....unless you were out of the country from 2001 thru 2004 and were completely unaware of what he & Cheney had done during those four years.

2.) I don't discount that at all. However, a Hillary presidency doesn't sound nearly as bad as a Trump presidency to this Republican. Plus, Trump hasn't begun to see negative campaigning. Imagine what Hillary is going to be able to do to him. (Not to mention the fact that he donated money to her!) LOL. You haven't seen negative campaigning until you see what Trump is going to dump on Hillary.

3.) Sure, he brings in new voters. But do they come back? Do blue collar democrats come back after the unions start pushing Hillary on them? The union leadership may push Hillary, but I think a significant part of the rank and file will gravitate to Trump.

1.) When was the last time the Republicans had a candidate who garnered this type of reaction from within the party? I've held my nose and voted for R's before, but Trump's stench doesn't wash off. If you voted to give W a 2nd term I don't know why you would ever vote against another Republican....unless you were out of the country from 2001 thru 2004 and were completely unaware of what he & Cheney had done during those four years.

2.) I don't discount that at all. However, a Hillary presidency doesn't sound nearly as bad as a Trump presidency to this Republican. Plus, Trump hasn't begun to see negative campaigning. Imagine what Hillary is going to be able to do to him. (Not to mention the fact that he donated money to her!) LOL. You haven't seen negative campaigning until you see what Trump is going to dump on Hillary.

3.) Sure, he brings in new voters. But do they come back? Do blue collar democrats come back after the unions start pushing Hillary on them? The union leadership may push Hillary, but I think a significant part of the rank and file will gravitate to Trump.

So Drumpf loses 10-20% of the traditional Republican voters. Then, he loses a significant portion of the blue collar workers who are voting for him in the primary. What is he left with?

So Drumpf loses 10-20% of the traditional Republican voters. Then, he loses a significant portion of the blue collar workers who are voting for him in the primary. What is he left with?

I don't think that either of those two things is going to happen. There will be more Democrats voting for Trump than Republicans voting for Hillary. And virtually all of the people who voted for Trump in the primaries will also be voting for him in November. I can't understand why you would possibly think that Trump voters in the primaries would turn around and vote for Hillary in November. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Did you really vote for W in 2004? Really?

Trump voters in the primary only make up 35-40% of republican primary voters. A good amount of the other 60% are not going to vote for Trump.

He cannot win unless he picks up the majority of the folks who have voted against him in the primary.

And you are hearing from me, a person who proudly voted for Bush in 2004, that I will not vote for Trump. What does that say to you about Trumps chances of picking up voters like me?

Last edited:
Trump voters in the primary only make up 35-40% of republican primary voters. A good amount of the other 60% are not going to vote for Trump.

He cannot win unless he picks up the majority of the folks who have voted against him in the primary.

And you are hearing from me, a person who proudly voted for Bush in 2004, that I will not vote for Trump. What does that say to you about Trumps chances of picking up voters like me?

You mistakenly believe BKF is interested in hearing your opinion. He has set his narrative and will now unleash it in post after post, irrespective of what anyone else says.

You mistakenly believe BKF is interested in hearing your opinion. He has set his narrative and will now unleash it in post after post, irrespective of what anyone else says.

I know, I'm just hoping for a scanners type head explosion.

There is not much to be said for anyone who "proudly" voted for Bush in 2004 after seeing the destruction caused by his first (illegal) administration.

If you wonder why Trump is doing so well, you need look no further than people like George W Bush. They fucked this country up so badly that Trump could go into South Carolina...one of the most Republican states in the country and long said to be solid "Bush Country"....and call George W Bush out for what he is, and then win a smashing victory in the SC Republican primary.

As Bob Dylan said:

"There's something happening here, and you don't know what it is....do you, Mr. Jones?"

Last edited:
There is not much to be said for anyone who "proudly" voted for Bush in 2004 after seeing the destruction caused by his first (illegal) administration.

I only voted for Bush as a big FU to the Democratic machine for screwing over Howard Dean !!

Back