• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
d13a47ab74e6dd7c8be4075a7f3b51b2.jpg

They’re about to fuck around and form a union

What use is a union to protest procedures in a non-season? Big 5 will cancel within the month, football will be moved to the spring if, and only if, a vaccine exists.

Last edited:
We will be VERY LUCKY to have safety/efficacy determined for a vaccine by early 2021. Even if this happens, it will take at least a couple of months to produce the first few million doses. The first people to get a vaccine in limited supply should be those at highest risk for mortality. The next in would be first responders and healthcare workers. Young, healthy college athletes would be well down on the list.
A vaccine for COVID may well require 2 doses separated by about 4 weeks adding another month to the time table before adequate immunity is obtained.
IF the criteria for playing college sports is an available vaccine, I rather doubt there will be any college athletics in 2020-21.

It’s just another area where our leaders have fallen short. It’s been 5 months since the NCAA Tournament was cancelled. Has the NCAA issued any recommendations for how to keep players safe and play sports? Travel guidance? Real leadership would have had a plan or cancelled things weeks ago.

not downplaying the potential long-term health risks associated with Covid-19 at all here, but if the NCAA is truly worried about long-term health risks, are we truly doing enough to address CTE?

not downplaying the potential long-term health risks associated with Covid-19 at all here, but if the NCAA is truly worried about long-term health risks, are we truly doing enough to address CTE?

No. But CTE can’t be traced to a specific point in time whereas a lawsuit could trace COVID to a university and an outbreak during team activities.

The comments by many of the student athletes across college football have reaffirmed my positions that these kids NEED football and MANY don't have good situations to fall back on. I understand many will get their college degrees but kids are worried about the idea of going back to their violent hometowns. This isn't Creamy saying this, these are comments being made by student athletes.

And I'll follow that up to say I have first hand experience with these guys. Growing up, my family were boosters who would take some of these young men in and spend time with them, helping them find part time jobs, give advice, etc. Many grew up on dirt floors, struggled to find their next meal and for many, football kept them motivated to stay enrolled in college.

I'm not saying this is the case across all of college football but it certainly exists. Denying it is sticking your head in the sand.

d13a47ab74e6dd7c8be4075a7f3b51b2.jpg

They’re about to fuck around and form a union

Good for them for taking initiative, but this effort is a good reminder that college students are a bunch of kids with no real experience in the real world. This list is a weird mash up of a statement of desire, demands for actions by the schools, actions that will be taken by the group, and a membership list.

If a union is ever going to get off the ground, it's going to need some serious adult help.

Just leave it up to the kids/coaches. If people want to opt out, let them opt out. If they want to play, let them play. If they want to play, provide them health insurance coverage and have them sign a waiver saying they won't sue the school/conference/NCAA if they get sick. Why does it have to be so difficult?

The comments by many of the student athletes across college football have reaffirmed my positions that these kids NEED football and MANY don't have good situations to fall back on. I understand many will get their college degrees but kids are worried about the idea of going back to their violent hometowns. This isn't Creamy saying this, these are comments being made by student athletes.

link(s)?

The least surprising thing is the SEC, it would take an entire football team dying for them to maybe consider cancelling football. Especially the hard on they will get for being the only show in town, they will probably make more money than ever and every recruit all eyes on. Are schools contractually obligated to not compete if the conference cancels? Like Nebraska and Iowa, and then the hold outs from other cancelled conferences team up to play each other? I assume its too much work especially then throwing in tv contracts.

The least surprising thing is the SEC, it would take an entire football team dying for them to maybe consider cancelling football. Especially the hard on they will get for being the only show in town, they will probably make more money than ever and every recruit all eyes on. Are schools contractually obligated to not compete if the conference cancels? Like Nebraska and Iowa, and then the hold outs from other cancelled conferences team up to play each other? I assume its too much work especially then throwing in tv contracts.

Depends on which team dies.

Cancelling football and going home are not mutually exclusive. I am affiliated with 5 universities at the moment ranging from the Ivy League to major state schools to small regional liberal arts colleges. None of them have moved online and all expect to have students on campus. Even fully online schools are letting some students live on campus.

Cancelling football and going home are not mutually exclusive. I am affiliated with 5 universities at the moment ranging from the Ivy League to major state schools to small regional liberal arts colleges. None of them have moved online and all expect to have students on campus. Even fully online schools are letting some students live on campus.

A lot of kids are only going to have in person classes one or two days a week and could easily be at home the rest of the time if they prefer.

Back