• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
Cancelling football and going home are not mutually exclusive. I am affiliated with 5 universities at the moment ranging from the Ivy League to major state schools to small regional liberal arts colleges. None of them have moved online and all expect to have students on campus. Even fully online schools are letting some students live on campus.

I got stressed out just reading that post.

Is a football team practicing/playing outdoors and getting tested weekly (or more often) really that much more dangerous than packing normal students into lecture halls with no testing plan?

If students weren't allowed back on campus this Fall then it makes it very easy to cancel football, IMO. If you're going to have students back in classrooms then there is no reason not to play. This whole thing is backwards.

Is a football team practicing/playing outdoors and getting tested weekly (or more often) really that much more dangerous than packing normal students into lecture halls with no testing plan?

Yeah good point they both should get shut down.

Yes, close physical contact along with heavy breathing is fairly uncommon in a lecture hall. Besides, every university that I have read about is implementing reduced spacing/capacity in lecture halls and classrooms and many are requiring masks indoors.

Also what are the odds that the back to campus is a money grab so that students don't defer for a year and pony up full tuition money. Wait until the drop/add period has passed and its distance learning for all again.

I think it's only a matter of time before college sports are canceled. The Big 10 is the first shoe to drop, and it sounds like the Pac 12 will join them today or tomorrow. At best, we may see interconference games without fans, but I still think its only a matter of time before the entire football season is canceled.

Cancelling fall sports could precede cancelling in person classes. The pandemic logistics for sports and classes seem more difficult at larger universities. The Big Ten has five universities with enrollments exceeding 40,000 students. Wake has 5,000 students. Big difference.

SEC sounds like they will play, come hell, high water or Covid 19.

The comments by many of the student athletes across college football have reaffirmed my positions that these kids NEED football and MANY don't have good situations to fall back on. I understand many will get their college degrees but kids are worried about the idea of going back to their violent hometowns. This isn't Creamy saying this, these are comments being made by student athletes.

Ok I will buy that but can we stop with the I should be paid for playing?

I did not expect the ACC to be one of the holdouts. Do I even know my own conference?

You conference that contains Clemson, Florida State and (kinda) Notre Dame?

Correct. On a spectrum for this kind of decision I wouldn’t have pegged us for where we are. I mean Duke just stopped playing ACC Tournament basketball. But obviously I’m wrong.

Back