• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
gonna note who is for expanded player empowerment for future discussions around player empowerment

I feel like this whole situation exposes the NCAA for the house of cards that it is -- if conferences can just go forward and play on their own, or even teams going against the rest of the conference, then you're taking steps toward schools just operating independently of any formal structure

not hard to imagine schools operating outside of the NCAA in the not-too-distant future, especially as payment of players gets more heated

Interesting. No player demands, they just want to play?

That was the message.

It's not like these interviews guarantee the clearest insight, but if I could guess as to how Wake's 18-22-year-olds are feeling and apply that to most of the #WeWantToPlay movement ...

Their point is that they've made sacrifices to able to play the season and they deserve to at least make it into the season before having the rug pulled out from under them. Every indication -- granted, there aren't many because Wake hides behind being private -- is that football players have taken this incredibly seriously, i.e. there haven't been breakouts as there were at half of the B1G schools, resulting in 2-week quarantines. They've had players opt out, but we don't know how many. They've had at least one positive test, but no idea when that was. Now on the eve of regular students returning to campus, they want to be sure their efforts haven't been for naught. And I think it was important to tell Hatch that, as he'd be the person casting WF's vote -- if it comes to an ACC presidents/chancellors vote to delay, postpone or cancel.

This is where it would've been nice to talk to Clawson yesterday, to get his feeling on why it was important to invite Hatch to practice, but he wasn't made available to us.

Duke infectious disease expert that chairs the ACC medical advisory group says publicly he thinks the season can be played safely.

Duke infectious disease expert that chairs the ACC medical advisory group says publicly he thinks the season can be played safely.

You would think this clinches yesterday’s feeling that the ACC will move forward to play. Allows the president’s to CYA even if someone disagrees with the Duke expert. Other conferences will be jealous of our “medical expert”.

The push to have the season, especially in the SEC is economics beyond just the TV rights and University income. Towns like Oxford, Starkville, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, etc., base a lot of their annual economy on 8 home football games every year when 100,000s of fans descend on the town, pay exorbitant hotel rates, fill up every restaurant table available, and buy useless trinkets in the main street shops while waiting for a table, ride in taxis and Ubers, pay for parking on Saturday, etc. Friends in Auburn told me they could make the entire year in mortgage payments by Air BnBing their downtown Auburn, walking distance from the stadium condo with a large balcony on just the 8 home football game weekends. Those communities desperately want the season to happen, desperately.

But even it the season is played, I'm assuming no fans or greatly reduced fans so there would still be massive economic impact? I don't think the decision is between not playing and BAU.

All of this will be a moot point in 2-3 weeks when teams are gearing up for their first games of the season and reports come out across the country about massive COVID outbreaks on college campuses. The question should not be whether playing football is safe or not (it's inherently not + COVID risk but whatever) but whether bringing back students to campuses was safe or not (it's not).

yeah - I posted several weeks ago, what happens when the starting QB tests positive? because he has no doubt been in close contact with every offensive starter, every other quarterback, and a good portion of last week's defensive opponents.

Are we going to follow recommended procedures and quarantine all those folks for 14 days, killing two weeks of games for two teams, or are we going to try to do what MLB is so far trying to do and forge ahead a few days later using rapid tests for everyone else?

yeah - I posted several weeks ago, what happens when the starting QB tests positive? because he has no doubt been in close contact with every offensive starter, every other quarterback, and a good portion of last week's defensive opponents.

Are we going to follow recommended procedures and quarantine all those folks for 14 days, killing two weeks of games for two teams, or are we going to try to do what MLB is so far trying to do and forge ahead a few days later using rapid tests for everyone else?

And on that note, let's say Trevor Lawrence tests positive. Do we think if he tells Dabo he's fine and really wants to play that Dabo will try to stop him?

I agree that bubbles like the NBA and MLS are really the only strategy that could work but it is in all practical senses impossible to do this for college athletics considering the geographic sizes of just conferences let alone the entirety of the nation. Also it makes an absolute farce of "ThEy ArE nOt PrOfEsSiOnAlS" if you were to try to bubble college football teams so you can have a season. At least NBA and MLS players were still getting their salaries for participating in the bubble.

Maybe I'm just not tracking on what makes it impossible.

You have 100-120 players. At Wake you give them Palmer and Piccolo like in the old days. All classes online. All meals provided. No outside visitors unless they're screened/tested/quarantined. No fans. Tests every other day. 10 days quarantine to re-enter, so if you leave you miss a game essentially. Same rules for visitors or those traveling with the team. Coaching staff slightly different rules for family but not by much, stay in a school house or apartment.

Busses to games or chartered flights. It's already a farce that they aren't professionals, so use the money they generate to make a bubble happen. Hell, require gators whenever you're on the field to reduce cross-team transmission, plenty of guys already where them anyway.

Sure, only the big wealthy tv-contract-money conferences get to have football. Oh well. And if the kids don't want to sequester with their team then they don't have to. But to me when you see our players talking about the season I very much doubt you'd have many dropouts.

But even it the season is played, I'm assuming no fans or greatly reduced fans so there would still be massive economic impact? I don't think the decision is between not playing and BAU.

Well, Auburn City council floated and tabled a resolution (for now), that if the University bans tailgating and fans in the stadium, the city will have football related events and activities on municipal property. The tabling was to wait and see what the University decides.

You have 100-120 players. At Wake you give them Palmer and Piccolo like in the old days. All classes online. All meals provided. No outside visitors unless they're screened/tested/quarantined. No fans. Tests every other day. 10 days quarantine to re-enter, so if you leave you miss a game essentially. Same rules for visitors or those traveling with the team. Coaching staff slightly different rules for family but not by much, stay in a school house or apartment.

Busses to games or chartered flights. It's already a farce that they aren't professionals, so use the money they generate to make a bubble happen. Hell, require gators whenever you're on the field to reduce cross-team transmission, plenty of guys already where them anyway.

Sure, only the big wealthy tv-contract-money conferences get to have football. Oh well. And if the kids don't want to sequester with their team then they don't have to. But to me when you see our players talking about the season I very much doubt you'd have many dropouts.

It's not about bubbling them on campus, it's about having an out and out bubble with all teams in one location. Just look at the MLB for an example of what happens when there is any travel necessary and even a little bit of freedom/personal responsibility given to professional athletes. Now we are talking about 18-22 year old kids on college campuses. The only way to make it happen would be to remove all teams to one or two locations, set up permanent bubbles, and go from there, but hat just can't be done logistically or financially. You can't set up an Orlando situation for college sports.

tOSU and Nebraska apparently already looking to join another conference or put together their own schedule for this year.

lol

STUDENT-athletes, amirite?

Back