• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Poll: Will College Sports Be Cancelled for the 2020-21 School Year?

Will College Sports Be Canceled for the 2020-21 school year?

• College sports will not be canceled & will resume as normal in the fall

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • All College sports will be canceled for the entire school year

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Fall Sports will be canceled, Winter & Spring Sports will be played as normal

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Fall & Winter Sports will be canceled, but Spring Sports will be played as Normal

Votes: 33 17.4%
  • All Sports will be played for tv but no fans will be allowed to attend

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.2%

• Total voters
I will say travel is less of a problem with college football and most college sports/the NFL than it is with MLB, since there aren't really "road trips." Not as hard to keep teams under lock and key when they fly in, practice, go to hotel/to bed, go to game, fly out. Way less time to be bored on the road

I will say travel is less of a problem with college football and most college sports/the NFL than it is with MLB, since there aren't really "road trips." Not as hard to keep teams under lock and key when they fly in, practice, go to hotel/to bed, go to game, fly out. Way less time to be bored on the road

Except you have 150 people on the road together in airplanes and busses.

Exactly!

If the season even starts it will end up like the BB tournament. A couple of games then shutdown. Just avoid the distraction that will cause and call it early. It’s only a game, hardly life or death.

Most, if not all, of those on the trips will have been together on campus, tested etc. Depending on the school, they may even be in an on campus bubble, away from other students. NCAA may need to relax rules on "athletes only" dorms to allow this.

"Outsiders" could be limited to those providing the transportation - pilots, flight attendants, bus drivers et al.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll miss college football at all. I never thought I would say that.

I'm starting to wonder if I'll miss college football at all. I never thought I would say that.

Get your mornings off to an even better and earlier drunken start with Saturday Premier League action

Most, if not all, of those on the trips will have been together on campus, tested etc. Depending on the school, they may even be in an on campus bubble, away from other students. NCAA may need to relax rules on "athletes only" dorms to allow this.

"Outsiders" could be limited to those providing the transportation - pilots, flight attendants, bus drivers et al.

That's a lot of outsiders.

This feels like a a pretty major deal. Starting QB at an FBS school (albeit not P5) has to sit out due to heart condition caused by COVID. How many days until someone dies at a practice? Just shut it all down.

This feels like a a pretty major deal. Starting QB at an FBS school (albeit not P5) has to sit out due to heart condition caused by COVID. How many days until someone dies at a practice? Just shut it all down.

But thatguy2016 has made very clear that it's just another standard risk of playing football

Let's tell the whole story about GA State QB Mikele Colasurdo and COVID:

"Ultimately it was the procedures and tests set forth by GSU that allowed the doctors to find this condition in my heart and help keep me safe," Colasurdo wrote.

So, the reason why Colasurdo received the diagnosis and has been excluded from playing is because of the protocols in place to protect the players. Not sure why some here insist on the narrative that playing football necessarily raises the risk of: a) getting COVID 19; b) not getting prompt treatment for those that are infected. Every statistical analysis published has shown that the infection rate is highest when players report to be initially tested and the infection rate drops after players start practicing. This is evidenced by both NFL and college teams that have made the statistics available:

Clemson: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article244863307.html
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29530706/clemson-ad-says-no-active-coronavirus-cases-athletics-department
Florida:https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-football-covid19-update-0809-20200808-bes3gcv24bafhkq2ujgnkvfjwy-story.html
Michigan: https://www.clickondetroit.com/all-about-ann-arbor/2020/08/10/jim-harbaugh-believes-michigan-should-be-able-to-play-football-this-fall-we-will-not-cower-from-it/
Virginia: https://www.nbc29.com/2020/07/31/no-new-positive-covid-tests-uva-athletics-department/
NFL: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-continue-daily-covid-19-testing-through-sept-5
https://sports.yahoo.com/nf-ls-number-of-players-on-the-reserve-covid-19-list-continues-to-drop-what-does-that-say-for-the-season-181033397.html

If there is a study that shows that practicing or playing college or professional football raises the likelihood of infection that would be basis to not play, but that does not appear to be the case. OTOH, to act like its a fact that has been established is a false narrative.

Last edited:
What are you talking about pilchard? No ones singling out football specifically. Pretty much every sport is going to have an elevated risk of transmission because that’s what sports are - folks breathing heavily in close contact with each other. That’s why...shocker...most spring sports had been either shut down or played in a bubble.

College football is not going to be played in a bubble. Players will mingle with other non players and coaches who will then mingle with others. Tons of new connection points and potential to link one infected person with many many other people. Hence the social distancing and I feel like I’m explaining March 2020 all over again.

What are you talking about pilchard? No ones singling out football specifically. Pretty much every sport is going to have an elevated risk of transmission because that’s what sports are - folks breathing heavily in close contact with each other. That’s why...shocker...most spring sports had been either shut down or played in a bubble.

College football is not going to be played in a bubble. Players will mingle with other non players and coaches who will then mingle with others. Tons of new connection points and potential to link one infected person with many many other people. Hence the social distancing and I feel like I’m explaining March 2020 all over again.

Since March, sports have restarted as at some point life goes on.

The lesson from every sport that has restarted (and that includes that start of football practice this Summer) is that we get better at preventing the spread of infection over time as we learn what protocols to step up specific to each sport. The reason why college sports have shutdown is not because the sports themselves present an elevated risk, but because many/most college campuses have shutdown (because putting thousands of college age kids together in the same location creates an obvious risk; not the sport itself), and it's a bad look to play sports when the campuses are otherwise shutdown. I understand the philosophical argument that its questionable/contrary to the purpose of higher education to close down campuses for everything, but football (or soccer or any other sport). The bottom line is that three conferences have decided that it's worth sacrificing the myth that student-athlete and students are one and the same to play football and generate the revenue that football brings (among other benefits).

From the players perspective, if the schools take reasonable precautions, the players are willing to take the personal/social steps to ensure the their own and their teammate's safety to get back to playing a sport that they love (and hang with their teammates, which is a big part of this), they want to play; those that have been denied the option to play are the ones that feel deprived.

It appears, and we will find out in the coming weeks, that at least 39 colleges think that they can play football (and other Fall Sports) without unreasonably elevating the risk of transmitting the virus. Based upon the reported infection rates from football practices and the experiences of other sports that have re-started, it seems like playing a football season is a reasonable possibility at this point. No one knows what is going to happen, maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but those that act like they know either way are talking out of their arse.

Since March, sports have restarted as at some point life goes on.

The lesson from every sport that has restarted (and that includes that start of football practice this Summer) is that we get better at preventing the spread of infection over time as we learn what protocols to step up specific to each sport. The reason why college sports have shutdown is not because the sports themselves present an elevated risk, but because many/most college campuses have shutdown (because putting thousands of college age kids together in the same location creates an obvious risk; not the sport itself), and it's a bad look to play sports when the campuses are otherwise shutdown. I understand the philosophical argument that its questionable/contrary to the purpose of higher education to close down campuses for everything, but football (or soccer or any other sport). The bottom line is that three conferences have decided that it's worth sacrificing the myth that student-athlete and students are one and the same to play football and generate the revenue that football brings (among other benefits).

From the players perspective, if the schools take reasonable precautions, the players are willing to take the personal/social steps to ensure the their own and their teammate's safety to get back to playing a sport that they love (and hang with their teammates, which is a big part of this), they want to play; those that have been denied the option to play are the ones that feel deprived.

It appears, and we will find out in the coming weeks, that at least 39 colleges think that they can play football (and other Fall Sports) without unreasonably elevating the risk of transmitting the virus. Based upon the reported infection rates from football practices and the experiences of other sports that have re-started, it seems like playing a football season is a reasonable possibility at this point. No one knows what is going to happen, maybe it will work and maybe it won't, but those that act like they know either way are talking out of their arse.

The thing you keep forgetting is that these other sports are professional and that college football teams practicing is a closed environment. They aren’t traveling all over the East Coast which is what our football team is expected to do in a few months with other teams coming in. So one school coming from a hot spot could create a whole new hot spot in a city just because of that football team. It’s not just about the athletes. And none of this is including the schools that will let fans attend who are coming from all over.

What about the entire other team that has been exposed to an entire different set of college students in a different region?

Back