• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pope Benedict to Step Down...

Arinze was commencement speaker in '99.

I'm pulling for him. (Plus I have a huge wager on it).

Aren't most of the world's Catholics black of brown?

yes? (meaning I have no idea...)

Actually, the closest statistic I could find is that there are 270 million Catholics of African descent out of the approximate 1 billion Catholics in the world. For those not strong in the field of mathematics, that would equate to exactly 27%, not quite reaching the level of 'most'...

I think Cardinal Arinze, who was the commencement speaker circa 2000 at Wake, would be cool. Or at least it would be cool for those kids to say the pope spoke at their graduation.

yes? (meaning I have no idea...)

Actually, the closest statistic I could find is that there are 270 million Catholics of African descent out of the approximate 1 billion Catholics in the world. For those not strong in the field of mathematics, that would equate to exactly 27%, not quite reaching the level of 'most'...

What are the numbers of Catholics Rha are in Central/South America ("or brown" part)?

Not to mention black and Hispanic American Catholics.

Pretty much an entire continent is Catholic

Let's discuss Malachy's Prophecies from 800 years ago... no way they can select Turkson!

The whole thing is actually pretty crazy. First off, Malachy predicted that there would be 112 more Popes after he gave his prophecy and then the world would end - Benedict is #111.

Here's #112: Peter the Roman - This final Pope will likely be Satan, taking the form of a man named Peter who will gain a worldwide allegiance and adoration. He will be the final antichrist which prophecy students have long foretold. If it were possible, even the very elect would be deceived. The 112th prophesy states: "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.

not Catholic and don't care about who is the next pope, but one of the coolest things that happened to me while studying abroad was when we went to Rome for Easter weekend. we went to the Stations of the Cross at the Colosseum on Good Friday, and stood outside next to a barricade. the procession made its way outside the Colosseum and we noticed a podium on top of a wall on the other side of the barricade. turns out the procession ended there and we ended up being about 20 feet away from the Pope with no one between us and him. had no idea what he said during his speech, but was pretty neat to be that close to him.

I eagerly anticipated this thread and look forward to reading what I hope are epic tags later today.

It's like organized crime fans waiting to see who the next don will be. A mafia by any other name stinks just as much.

2cr3ptl.jpg

Here's #112: Peter the Roman - This final Pope will likely be Satan, taking the form of a man named Peter who will gain a worldwide allegiance and adoration. He will be the final antichrist which prophecy students have long foretold. If it were possible, even the very elect would be deceived. The 112th prophesy states: "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people.

I don't know what any of this means, but it sounds pretty fucking metal. I'm in.

I'm in the process of converting to Catholicism and I will be confirmed this Easter. I've overcame a lot of my hesitations about Catholicism (mainly transubstantiation), but I am afraid that I will never fully grasp the idea of a Pope at the head of the church. In a selfish way I am glad Pope Benedict resigned as this current event will further my understanding of the Pope and his (His?) function in the Catholic church.

Back