• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Yeah, whether people wanted Wojo or not, he's not leaving Marquette for Wake. Our best chance to get him was when redacted resigned. That doesn't mean he shouldn't get a phone call if Matta/Oats reject Wellman, because there is always an off chance he wants to coach in the ACC, but I don't think it's likely he takes Wake's job if he thinks he has a shot to replace K whenever he decides to call it a career.

Manning isnt going anywhere, nor should he. He already has gotten Wake to the NCAAT and is recruiting his arse off. This is a young team. He at least gets one more year.

Just asked a buddy of mine who is a huge UNC fan -- and knowledgeable/reasonable -- who his top 5 replacements for Roy would be, and, much to my surprise, he did drop little old Wes in there. Crazy, I know. I didn't expect it. I don't think he had thought much about it, and the idea seemed to come from BSD's article, but his top 5 were Hubert Davis, Jerry Stackhouse, Wes, Mark Few, and Jay Wright. He acknowledged Few and Wright were unlikely at best due to a number of reasons, and also mentioned wanting to keep an eye on the trajectories of Sean May and Kendall Marshall, because he did want to "keep it in the family." So there you go, most knowledgeable UNC fan I know.

Edit to clarify - I said if Roy retired "tomorrow," so the ages of Few and Wright would be less of a concern, though he was saying he expects Williams in there another 3-5 years, so that was one of the reasons he didn't think either of those likely at all. He was just spitballin.

So he's giving a lot of added weight to former players. This isn't really surprising and is typically of fans of most fan bases, including ours, they go with what's familiar to them. Probably especially true in the case of UNC fans as I've found them to not really be diehard college basketball fans but just fans of Carolina.

This is why fans like dr shouldn't make coaching hires

Manning isnt going anywhere, nor should he. He already has gotten Wake to the NCAAT and is recruiting his arse off. This is a young team. He at least gets one more year.

Such an odd attempt at trolling.

So he's giving a lot of added weight to former players. This isn't really surprising and is typically of fans of most fan bases, including ours, they go with what's familiar to them. Probably especially true in the case of UNC fans as I've found them to not really be diehard college basketball fans but just fans of Carolina.

This is why fans like dr shouldn't make coaching hires

If there’s one thing I don’t question dr on it’s being a huge college bball fan. It’s obvious the dude attends an ass ton of games each season. Fair to question the take aways from these games, but they are informed by something.

I think you're too used to losing that you now tolerate it. After a fucking decade of shit bball, you want to avoid successful coaches because they went to Duke. Notre Dame was stupid about its football coaches for a while too. Hired an assistant who didn't work out. Took a flyer on a guy with limited HC experience. Followed that up with an alum. Eventually, they found the best candidate available and hired him. FWIW, in some of Kelly's down years, people talked about trying to hire Harbaugh. Few fans gave two shits that he's a Michigan alum. They just want to win (provided it's not via cheating).

As some others have said, it is not only that Wojo went to Dook - it is that he is Wojo. If you were a Wake fan during that time, you know what I mean. I wouldn't have a problem hiring Amaker or Dawkins, for instance, if it was decided that were good candidates - they weren't hugely annoying jerks when they played. I would hire Grant Hill, if he was a coach - he is an awesome dude.

Can you imagine the press conferences leading up to the Wake-Duke game if Wojo were our coach? Wojo would be practically crying about having to coach against his lord and saviour... Ugh!

Seems like this Board is overly preoccupied with coaches leaving for a "better opportunity". It never happens. Despite offers/interest from Arkansas and Nebraska, Grobe stayed at WF until the school essentially forced him out. Clawson appears to have no interest to coach at any other school. The last football coach to leave WF on his own accord was John Mackovic, and that was a completely different era of football when WF's commitment to football was closer to William and Mary than it was to "true football schools".

In basketball, the same has been true for as essentially as long as I can remember. Coaches with opportunities for other power schools (Skip - no ties to WF; chose to stay at WF over Pitt), and Odom was essentially let go when WF grew tired of solid defense oriented winning basketball (and decided to not extend him).

Even in other sports, coaches that have succeeded here (Averill, Bresky) choose to stay rather than pursue other opportunities. At some point, WF will have a coach that takes an offer from another school, but that would mean that WF is pretty f-ing good, which given the current circumstances is OK by me... if it ever even happens.

WF has to hire the best available coach, and have no concern about whether at some point, that coach might leave for the NBA or to coach Kentucky.

Even moreso, if a Wake coach were to take a better job, it would be almost assuredly mean the hire was a huge success. I don't think Skip leaving for Cincy or Grobe leaving for Arkansas would have made us regret either hire.

As some others have said, it is not only that Wojo went to Dook - it is that he is Wojo. If you were a Wake fan during that time, you know what I mean.

Based on another post, it appears he was well behind Wojo as a student at Wake. And based on his name and posting history, he didn't grow up a big Wake fan. So, yeah.

Strangely enough, much of his limited posts are from the previous coaching search. He's a "big Wake fan", unlike the rest of us LOWF's, but he only really drops by when we're hiring/firing coaches.

Last edited:
I was today years old when I learned that people don't want to hire a coach because he might be too successful.

Wil Wade has been subpoenaed. This will likely take him off our list.

Wil Wade has been subpoenaed. This will likely take him off our list.

His price tag meant he was never on the list.

$2.5 mil a year guaranteed on a 6 year deal at LSU signed 2 years ago means he would have cost $10mil in addition to whatever we owe Manning and would ultimately have to pay Wade.

He was never an option.

Winners don't operate from a position of fear. Winners believe that they can keep talent.

I'd never hire a lawyer for the firm thinking that they weren't the best candidate, but would be the most likely to stay. If you are honest, you wouldn't either.

Dumb analogy. It is fine to say you can accept the risk the hire would leave if they had success. It is silly to pretend it isn't a variable in the decision making process. How big a variable is it is the question. Because there is no denying it is a real risk in college sports. It happens all the time. The fortunes of law firms don't rise and fall with the size of fan bases, the resources the school makes available to them or the academic expectations the school places (or fails to place) on their student-athletes.

Based on another post, it appears he was well behind Wojo as a student at Wake. And based on his name and posting history, he didn't grow up a big Wake fan. So, yeah.

Strangely enough, much of his limited posts are from the previous coaching search. He's a "big Wake fan", unlike the rest of us LOWF's, but he only really drops by when we're hiring/firing coaches.

I don't usually post because I'm otherwise enjoying life. I tend to only want to commiserate with how shitty the program is a few years after Wellman screws up a hiring decision. I know the Wojo playing days well, as they overlapped with Duncan's. At that time, I think 'Sheed should be the most hated followed by Stackhouse. People hate on Wojo because he was the good white guy on Duke. Has there ever been a good white guy on Duke that you didn't hate?

Back