• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Well, obviously Shaka just developed some really special relationships with his boosters at VCU. So now that his seat is hot at Texas, he's calling them for support and guidance. And they are such great friends that the VCU boosters just freely share that personal info with others. Or something like that?

seems legit

seems legit

Either that or some guy made up some shit on Facebook and another guy repeated said made up shit as "insider info", and a couple rounds of internet telephone later, Shaka is coming to Wake and his wife will be heading up a department of her choosing. Ultimately, I'd like to get RJ to weigh in before I get too excited.

It means beyond asshole and in his case it means he's a rat that can't be trusted.

Here's the urban dictionary definition:

"A bastard who is characterized by devious and base intentions."

I’m not saying I want Steve Lavin, I’m saying that Wellman will probably hire someone like Lavin. Over a period of 15 years Wellman has exhibited astonishing incompetence in human resource decisions for our BBall program and I am not confident that has changed. This thread has been fun to think about all the other possible coaches but wellman is most likely going to hire some totally uninspiring crappy coach that we haven’t talked about or heard of. We are more likely to hire Oat’s lead assistant than Oats hims self. I am just prepping my self for that disappointment in advance and pushing the hash tag #LavinIn.

I do think that if Shaka is on the way out at Texas, which is uncertain, that Wake would be a natural landing spot. He did have conversations about the job last time from several sources, so he was considering it.

Last edited:
I do think that if Shaka is on the way out at Texas, which is uncertain, that Wake would be a natural landing spot. He did have conversations about the job last time from several sources, so he was considering it.

I agree. If he is on his way out it would be hard to imagine him moving from one pressure cooker to another. Wake would be a step back from Texas in this sense. Make the tournament twice in your first three years at Wake and we’re talking about raises and extensions, not being on the hot seat. Granted the Texas program he took over was far different than the current Wake program, but still.

Actually, after looking at Shaka’s wiki it says he campaigned for President Obama in 2008 and 2012. I can’t picture Ronnie being overly enthused by this.

There's a decent chance Texas loses 3 of their last 4. What would have to happen for them to miss the tourney though? Seems like they're solidly a 9-10 seed right now.

The rumors with the hedges of events like "if they miss the tourney this year" are the ones that I typically don't believe. Not saying it isn't possible he gets fired but "not making the tourney" is just a cover for when he doesn't come to wake.

There's a decent chance Texas loses 3 of their last 4. What would have to happen for them to miss the tourney though? Seems like they're solidly a 9-10 seed right now.

The rumors with the hedges of events like "if they miss the tourney this year" are the ones that I typically don't believe. Not saying it isn't possible he gets fired but "not making the tourney" is just a cover for when he doesn't come to wake.

In addition to a tough schedule to finish the year, Texas has suspended their leading scorer, Kerwin Roach, and it doesn't sound like he is returning any time soon: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/2/25/18240407/kerwin-roach-suspension-shaka-smart-texas-longhorns-basketball

Texas is currently 15-12 and it's looking like his final record will be something like 17-15 (9-9). Not going to the NCAAs with that record. That record would make Smart 4 year record at Texas 77-65 (32-40) with two NCAA appearances and no NCAA tourney wins. If Texas fired Smart, they would owe him $12.9 million through 2023 ($3.2 million for the next 4 years). https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/4/2/17189646/shaka-smart-contract-guaranteed-texas-longhorns-chris-del-conte

Realize $13 million may not be a ton for Texas. Still don't think Texas will fire him after the season, but they might let him walk away to another job if he agrees to give up the remaining amount on his contract.

In addition to a tough schedule to finish the year, Texas has suspended their leading scorer, Kerwin Roach, and it doesn't sound like he is returning any time soon: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/2/25/18240407/kerwin-roach-suspension-shaka-smart-texas-longhorns-basketball

Texas is currently 15-12 and it's looking like his final record will be something like 17-15 (9-9). Not going to the NCAAs with that record. That record would make Smart 4 year record at Texas 77-65 (32-40) with two NCAA appearances and no NCAA tourney wins. If Texas fired Smart, they would owe him $12.9 million through 2023 ($3.2 million for the next 4 years). https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/4/2/17189646/shaka-smart-contract-guaranteed-texas-longhorns-chris-del-conte

Realize $13 million may not be a ton for Texas. Still don't think Texas will fire him after the season, but they might let him walk away to another job if he agrees to give up the remaining amount on his contract.

What has Shaka done outside his second year at VCU? He inherited a good program that went on an amazing run that year. Every other year its been one or zero wins in the NCAA. And this includes being at Texas, which will throw all kinds of resources at its program and is pretty easy to recruit to.

I'm sure he's a decent coach but I don't see him as being a wunderkid anymore.

Money is of no consequence to TX athletics. The question becomes do they want Shaka to stay.

I definitely think there's a chance he is not the coach at Texas next year, but if Wake can afford to pay Manning $10m+ to not be our coach then Texas can certainly dish out that money.

I think he could be fired/no longer with Texas regardless of if he makes the tourney or not - but the whole tourney thing is still a hedge for if he doesn't come to wake.

What has Shaka done outside his second year at VCU? He inherited a good program that went on an amazing run that year. Every other year its been one or zero wins in the NCAA. And this includes being at Texas, which will throw all kinds of resources at its program and is pretty easy to recruit to.

This is the big issue. I'm sure he's better than our current coach, but that doesn't mean that he is the guy we should hire.

well he made it to a Final Four with one Wake recruit, imagine what he could do with a whole team of them!

I've always kinda figured Wellman held him in super high regard. Their selection in 2011 -- in a year where Wellman was on the committee -- was a bit random. It also happened to coincide with VCU absolutely destroying us early in that season.

Wellman seems to particularly enjoy being correct, so if he did vouch for VCU what they proceeded to do in that tournament certainly would give him fond thoughts when it comes to Shaka

Somebody from the academic side at Wake needs to be making nice with a good professorship for Dr. Smart. Then as part if the package, find something suitable at Wake for her husband to do.

I don't usually post because I'm otherwise enjoying life. I tend to only want to commiserate with how shitty the program is a few years after Wellman screws up a hiring decision. I know the Wojo playing days well, as they overlapped with Duncan's. At that time, I think 'Sheed should be the most hated followed by Stackhouse. People hate on Wojo because he was the good white guy on Duke. Has there ever been a good white guy on Duke that you didn't hate?

This really makes me question whether you ever even saw Wojo play. He was not hated because he was a (questionably) good white guy at Duke. [Questionable? I looked it up - he averaged 5 pts a game for his career and shot 38% from the field. At Duke he had fewer assists than Danny Ferry and fewer steals than Laettner] He was hated as the head floor-slapper of all floor-slappers. He was hated because he was an over-active little punk who was treated like he was much better than he really was [He was national defensive player of the year for no discernible reason, for example]. He was hated because of the way he ran off the court and leaped into K's arms after his last game at Duke, like a horny little housewife whose husband had just returned from a 6-month stint in the slammer. Good grief!

This really makes me question whether you ever even saw Wojo play. He was not hated because he was a (questionably) good white guy at Duke. [Questionable? I looked it up - he averaged 5 pts a game for his career and shot 38% from the field. At Duke he had fewer assists than Danny Ferry and fewer steals than Laettner] He was hated as the head floor-slapper of all floor-slappers. He was hated because he was an over-active little punk who was treated like he was much better than he really was [He was national defensive player of the year for no discernible reason, for example]. He was hated because of the way he ran off the court and leaped into K's arms after his last game at Duke, like a horny little housewife whose husband had just returned from a 6-month stint in the slammer. Good grief!

Back