• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

It makes sense for Oats to be Plan C because Matta and Shaka will be available sooner and it’s reasonable to put them publicly ahead.

I’ll be surprised if it isn’t Miller or Turner.

Agree with this. At the end of the day we can't find a worse coach than the last two. I'm concerned... worried... resigned is probably more accurate since its hard to care that much anymore... that whomever is hired will be thoroughly underwhelming.

Better known as Ronnie settling for Plan Q.

I don’t understand the anti-Turner sentiment. He has 4 1sts and 2 2nds in last 6 years at a school that had very little success before his arrival. They had won their league only twice in 33 years. Turner has high major recruiting experience (9 years) and worked for 3 great coaches in Odom, Montgomery, and Don Nelson. That is a stronger resume than almost all of the mid-major coaches we are discussing. What am I missing?

I don’t understand the anti-Turner sentiment. He has 4 1sts and 2 2nds in last 6 years at a school that had very little success before his arrival. They had won their league only twice in 33 years. Turner has high major recruiting experience (9 years) and worked for 3 great coaches in Odom, Montgomery, and Don Nelson. That is a stronger resume than almost all of the mid-major coaches we are discussing. What am I missing?

He seems to have the personality of a pet rock.

How can Turner’s personality possibly be worse for than either [name redacted] or Myxedema Manning?

How can Turner’s personality possibly be worse for than either [name redacted] or Myxedema Manning?
Comparing one's personalty against two people with well-noted bland personalities doesn't really indicate much to the fact that they have the engaging personality needed to get fans to buy back in.

Guess WF has decided it's done f-ing around with the hoop program. Sounds like WF is ready to shell out serious cash.

To be fair, it sounds like we’ve been shelling out some serious cash already.

Turner is not an exciting hire. Good coach? Probably. Good fit for wake? Probably. Fire up the fan base? Not likely. If he turns around the team around it will generate enthusiasm but it feels like it will be methodical more than exciting.

It makes sense for Oats to be Plan C because Matta and Shaka will be available sooner and it’s reasonable to put them publicly ahead.

I’ll be surprised if it isn’t Miller or Turner.

Agree with this. All of it.

Texas up 20 vs. Iowa St. with ~10 to go. Not a good day for the Shaka watch, unless they blow another big lead.

We should take a shot at Prohm too.

We should take a shot at Prohm too.

Yes. Wake should make some calls to select P6 coaches (Prohm and Chambers are two of these) who are currently at schools from which Wake could poach them, either because of historic basketball traditions, the ACC connection or more money. Or in Shaka's case, the possibility that his current employer is becoming disenchanted and would be happy to see him find another job.

I would be excited about Oats. I think I would feel bummed out about Shaka.

If you struggle that much at Texas, how are you going to come into the ACC and do better at Wake going up against Carolina and Duke and UVA.

Seems like it would be reasonable easy for a top coach to succeed at Texas.

Don't really get the Prohm love. Given that Hoiberg left a good foundation there his results have been fairly middling.

He and Cronin would not be home run hires -- more like doubles, or even singles advancing on throw

Back