• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Don't really get the Prohm love. Given that Hoiberg left a good foundation there his results have been fairly middling.

He and Cronin would not be home run hires -- more like doubles, or even singles advancing on throw

Really?

Cronin is about to take his team to its 9th straight NCAA tourney and Top 50 KP.

Prohm is in his 4th year at Iowa St and had success at Murray State, as well. Continuing Hoiberg’s success should be viewed as a positive, IMO.

Yeah, #14 in KenPom is #14 in KemPom. They don't exactly bring in 5-star talent at Iowa State.

Deac Sig still as useless as ever. Surely there is a better use of that oxygen.

Lol. You have managed to be annoying as fuck about getting rid of Coach Manning, something that, you know, this entire board wants to happen.

You are basically a less intelligent RC at this point. And the fact that DR has been able to convince you that Miller would be worthy of being hired at Wake, without any evidence other than DR’s sheer force of will, demonstrates how easily swayed you can be. Much like how you fell for Trunp’s nonsense during 2016.

Lol. You have managed to be annoying as fuck about getting rid of Coach Manning, something that, you know, this entire board wants to happen.

You are basically a less intelligent RC at this point. And the fact that DR has been able to convince you that Miller would be worthy of being hired at Wake, without any evidence other than DR’s sheer force of will, demonstrates how easily swayed you can be. Much like how you fell for Trunp’s nonsense during 2016.

Still breathing. Damn. Just more wasted oxygen that could be used by your betters.

I do like Prohm more than Cronin -- though Prohm finished DFL in the Big 12 last year and this year's team is having its fair share of struggles at the mo.

Cronin didn't pull up any trees in the tough Big East, but has thrived in the AAC. Don't think that's a great omen for how he'd fare back in a tough conference.

Not saying either would be awful, swing-and-miss hires, but they aren't home run hires, either

Last edited:
I do like Prohm more than Cronin -- though Prohm finished DFL in the Big 12 last year and this year's team is having its fair share of struggles at the mo.

Cronin didn't pull up any trees in the tough Big East, but has thrived in the AAC. Don't think that's a great omen for how he'd fare back in a tough conference.

Not saying either would be awful, swing-and-miss hires, but they aren't home run hires, either

Last season at Iowa State was the only time in 8 seasons head coaching he had less than 21 wins. The team had a step back because he lost 3 seniors, who all went on to become pros. Now, 1 season later, he's got them top 15 in kenpom. Prohm also a winning record in every postseason tournament he's ever been in. He would be a home run hire given the state of Wake Basketball.

Agree with this. All of it.

So b/c Matta is available sooner, he becomes a priority over Oats? Maybe I’m misinterpreting the comment, but don’t agree if that is what PH meant. Doesn’t Plan A mean the job is his if he wants it? I can be happy if Wake gets a good coach, but will view it as somewhat of a failure if Oats doesn’t get opportunity to say no.

So b/c Matta is available sooner, he becomes a priority over Oats? Maybe I’m misinterpreting the comment, but don’t agree if that is what PH meant. Doesn’t Plan A mean the job is his if he wants it? I can be happy if Wake gets a good coach, but will view it as somewhat of a failure if Oats doesn’t get opportunity to say no.

I didn’t take it like that. I just think that putting out feelers on Matta and Shaka will be easy to do earlier than Oats because they won’t be actively coaching.

I assume you talk to a number of different candidates before zeroing in on a favorite.

But, yeah, if Matta and/or Shaka show interest early... I think you’d be silly to not seriously consider putting a ring on that shit.

And I was more emphatically agreeing with the part where Ph posits that we’ll probably end up with Miller or Turner.

I’d be willing to give those two a try, FWIW, but I’d be lying if I said either excites me much.

I didn’t take it like that. I just think that putting out feelers on Matta and Shaka will be easy to do earlier than Oats because they won’t be actively coaching.

I assume you talk to a number of different candidates before zeroing in on a favorite.

But, yeah, if Matta and/or Shaka show interest early... I think you’d be silly to not seriously consider putting a ring on that shit.

Right. Could end up waiting another three weeks for Oats.

We need proven experience over a longer haul than most of these names mentioned. We need a seasoned, proven winner like Matta. Another experiment will kill the program. We need stability and positivity. If a young hire flops we are destined to 5 to 10 more years of less than mediocrity. Matta, or Smart brings instant credibility and name recognition and shows a strong commitment to bringing the program back from the dead. Danny said he came to "cut down nets" let's find someone who was at least in a position to do that at some point. Matta fills that bill to a T.

Last edited:
Yep. It’s fine if you don’t think Smart or Matta could lead Wake to the Final Four. That’s fine. But understand that saying “I don’t think this 41/51 year old coach who has already been to the Final Four can do it again, but [insert other coach here] can.” is not a good argument.

As much as I looove Oats, I will not be rooting for Buffalo in the tournament

Pack your bags and just leave now, Danny. See ya.

Back