• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Musselman is high on UCLA's list, but so is Tony Bennett.

Is UCLA going to pay Bennett more than the $4mil per UVA is paying him? I thought that was 1 of the problems with the CA state schools.

I mentioned a while back on 1 of these threads that Musselman would be great, but he has built Nevada into more of a national program, and I just don't see him coming east for what at this point is almost a parallel move. Zona, Texas, UCLA and the NBA would make more sense for him. I consider Shaka and Matta more viable than Musselman, though I'd be happy to be wrong.

Nate Oats getting started on his conference title run. They are worth a watch if you haven't seen them yet.

alright musselman

this guy can recruit

636240355794345544-Musselman2.jpg

You are correct that UCLA has been very, very cheap. But they just spent over $130M to renovate Pauley. They could get donors to pay Bennett, but it would have to be close to $6M to get Bennett to look at it.

Bennett seems to fit UVa better, and is already regular ACC and national contender.

Mussellman and his hot (apparently sports commentator?) wife are way too awesome for Winston-Salem. Sigh.

Bennett seems to fit UVa better, and is already regular ACC and national contender.

Mussellman and his hot (apparently sports commentator?) wife are way too awesome for Winston-Salem. Sigh.

I agree that I can’t see Bennett being a very good fit at UCLA. Howland went to three straight Final Fours with them, but his “boring” brand of basketball was a knock against him in Westwood. Granted he might be a bit of an asshole and they fell off a little bit, but still. I enjoy watching Bennett’s teams play, but he might have the same problems with the fan base and donors that Howland had. I’d be pretty shocked if he left UVA for UCLA.

I agree that I can’t see Bennett being a very good fit at UCLA. Howland went to three straight Final Fours with them, but his “boring” brand of basketball was a knock against him in Westwood. Granted he might be a bit of an asshole and they fell off a little bit, but still. I enjoy watching Bennett’s teams play, but he might have the same problems with the fan base and donors that Howland had. I’d be pretty shocked if he left UVA for UCLA.

Bennett has it pretty good at UVA. With ACC Network money coming in, they should be able to pay him. VA will get plenty of publicity in the ACC, moreso if he continues to beat Duke and u*NC. And VA fans won't really care about "boring" basketball. What he is doing at VA is winning.

As if the top coaches (who are still coaching) are going to jump at the first offer that comes their way rather than see what their options are.

We aren't going to be going after the top coaches. We are going to be going after coaches who may want to go ahead and get a job in March rather than waiting for the carousel after UCLA and Zona do their thing in early April. Either way, I don't see the advantage to waiting.

Bennett is supposedly making about $4M at UVA. Getting $5M from UCLA would be a virtual wash due to taxes and housing costs.

This stuff is all public record. $2.69M is a LONG way from $4M. That said, as long as he's not fired today, he gets a sweet one-time $1M bonus tomorrow that will put him close to $4M. He could hit $4M this year with a good tourney run and that one-time bonus.

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/vi...ll-coach-tony-bennett-salary-contract-bonuses

Last edited:
As if the top coaches (who are still coaching) are going to jump at the first offer that comes their way rather than see what their options are.

We aren't going to be going after the top coaches. We are going to be going after coaches who may want to go ahead and get a job in March rather than waiting for the carousel after UCLA and Zona do their thing in early April. Either way, I don't see the advantage to waiting.

If Wake is looking for a new coach this spring, sooner is better than later. There is a little of the recruiting "being first to ask" advantage.

Make an early offer. Make it a good offer. Profit

Plus, their agents are not coaching.

Is there any negative to having the coaching vacancy last 3-4 weeks while our replacement targets are working their way through the NCAA tournament?

Bonuses spend just like other money, so it is reasonable to put Tony Bennett near $4 million for this year.

Yeah, but it's a one-time longevity bonus and doesn't represent what another school would need to match or beat for next season or the seasons following.

Back