• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

You weren't right abut Miller. He hadn't been a HC in 2009. In 2014, he hadn't proven anything (he still hasn't).

Unless you are writing the check, you also aren't right about building a new venue. How many events per month in the off-season are comfortable with having in that new arena to justify the cost of upkeep and personnel? How many more security guards/cops are you willing to hire and post on campus to protect students from the increased outside traffic the arena will create?

If Matta was a done deal or even a strong possibility, we could fire Manning, let Childress or Nestor do the day to day operations, and hire Matta to start recruiting and restructuring the program including convincing Hoard to stay.

You weren't right abut Miller. He hadn't been a HC in 2009. In 2014, he hadn't proven anything (he still hasn't).

Unless you are writing the check, you also aren't right about building a new venue. How many events per month in the off-season are comfortable with having in that new arena to justify the cost of upkeep and personnel? How many more security guards/cops are you willing to hire and post on campus to protect students from the increased outside traffic the arena will create?

As many as every other winning school does. We need a smaller arena. Years ago I argued it should be on campus. We've screwed that up and that isn't an option any more.

If Matta was a done deal or even a strong possibility, we could fire Manning, let Childress or Nestor do the day to day operations, and hire Matta to start recruiting and restructuring the program including convincing Hoard to stay.

As much as I would like to see this happen, I’m leaning towards Chupacabra’s guess being pretty close to reality where Manning’s buyout goes down significantly at the end of the season.

I know ambulance chasing and owning car washes and having, like, a few dozen LLCs to your name makes a lot of money and lets you live large in Greensboro, but do you ever wish you had gone into sports administration? seems like the perfect nexus of passion and skill.

As many as every other winning school does. We need a smaller arena. Years ago I argued it should be on campus. We've screwed that up and that isn't an option any more.

BTW, Wojo was never an option for us. He wants to replace K. Taking the Wake (or any other ACC job) would hurt him in that.

Look, I get why I'm the focus here. In 2009, I said hire Miller or Kelsey. In 2014, I said hire Miller or Kelsey or Wojo. Look at UNCG, Winthrop, and Marquette now. Since 1996, I have been screaming for a smaller stadium. Many of you told me I was nuts.

Now you figured out I was right the entire time. Those that politely stuck by Wellman through these two decades of disaster are fully responsible for this debacle. And not getting it right this time through force will keep us firmly in the loser column.

Flashback to 2009, with DR as AD:

Coming off a disappointing first round loss to Cleveland St, We just fired our coach who went 41-20 (18-14) over 2 seasons where Wake improved from 7th to 2nd in the ACC because our results aren't good enough. So who's he going to hire? That's right, first year assistant coach from Elon, WES MILLER! Miller aided the erstwhile coach, Ernie Nestor, to an amazing 12-19 record!

I will give you the "I saw that he would be a great coach one day."

I'll even give you the "2014 is the right time to make a risky move to get the coach of the future." I think that argument can be made (although Manning not working out doesn't mean this position is correct).

But stop with the "2009 I was calling for Miller and I was right" mess.

Well...to be clear...I was publicly calling for it. Turns out I was right.

So Matta or Oats? Assuming Matta is healthy, I feel like both would be home runs.

I must have missed all of the P5 HC success that Miller has had to validate anybody's opinion in this regard.

I must have missed all of the P5 HC success that Miller has had to validate anybody's opinion in this regard.

The Big East makes it P6. HOF Miller is 0-24 versus ranked teams. If he was ready to coach in the ACC, he'd have a couple of wins.

Would be shocked if Matta was willing to take on the WF rebuild.

He talked about only returning to a "special situation". To me, that screams UCLA or some similar elite job that comes open, where the school essentially can recruit on reputation almost alone. At this point, WF is going to have to out hustle other programs for recruits. Once the ball start rolling and there is some moderate success, recruiting to WF will get easier again, but hard for me to see Matta looking at WF and saying to himself: "It's worth giving up $1.2 million a year to do nothing to get annihilated by UVA, L'ville, UNC and Duke, while trying to beat Clemson and BC for fringe top 100 recruits."

Danny Manning was able to recruit at Wake Forest if Thad Matta came in I have no doubt that we would get a huge recruiting bump for a couple of years immediately. Again even in the current dumpster fire situation we're currently in we still have two starters who have Kansas scholarship offers

He talked about only returning to a "special situation". To me, that screams UCLA or some similar elite job that comes open, where the school essentially can recruit on reputation almost alone. At this point, WF is going to have to out hustle other programs for recruits. Once the ball start rolling and there is some moderate success, recruiting to WF will get easier again, but hard for me to see Matta looking at WF and saying to himself: "It's worth giving up $1.2 million a year to do nothing to get annihilated by UVA, L'ville, UNC and Duke, while trying to beat Clemson and BC for fringe top 100 recruits."

This screams of 1990s logic. Why are we competing solely against our ACC brethren for recruits?

You can get a top 6 seed easily by coming in 5th-ish in the ACC. That's pretty attractive.

Also this isn't football. A couple recruits and you can turn things around

If we are going to be honest with ourselves, WF is not "the special situation" which Matta is looking for.

If it was, he would've taken the UGA job. UGA has been to more NCAA tournaments (2) than WF (1) over the last 9 years, and there is less competition in the SEC to get to the top then there is in the ACC. Plus, the contract that Matta turned down $3 million+ per year for 5 years is the limit (and maybe above depending on the Manning buyout) that WF could offer. Matta can get a WF-type rebuild offer at any time. He is not looking to takeover a team that can maybe, with a few breaks, get to the NCAAs in a couple of years. He has won Big 10 titles and gone to the Final 4. He wants a Natty. You don't come to WF to win a Natty.

I love message board speculation, but watching people here starting to get spun up over Matta is misguided.

Hiring Matta after he cut our hearts out and ate our hearts and shat out our hearts and then crammed the shat down our throats until we made our own shat with the Butler Debacle and the Conley/Oden/Cook Debacle would be an interesting turn around but maybe it's some kind of amazing reverse juju that just may work. Crazy like a fox.

I think wakes recruiting history demonstrates that if a big name came in or somebody who is nationally known they wouldn't have to claw and scratch for middling ACC classes. We are doing that right now. What I do think would turn off a Matta is if Wellman continues with this idea that we would be restricted in recruiting athletes that may go to the NBA early. If that happens he can continue glad handing the handful of fans who treat going to wake basketball games like going to a high school football game on Friday night.

Last edited:
Well...to be clear...I was publicly calling for it. Turns out I was right.

But you weren't. Remember when you said Wes would be hired by LSU? Or UNCW? But yet here he is, still muddling along in the fucking Southern Conference.
Neither Miller nor Kelsey have proven they are good coaches.

By the way,the bet is still on, if you want it. $100 that Wes Miller is not the next coach at UNC.

Back