• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I care about my friends. Caring includes telling folks when their shit is moronic. WF is moronic.

I don't disagree that WF has been moronic. We definitely agree that Hatch and Wellman should have been fired years ago.

I disagree that anyone, with any input or serious involvement with Duke would ever think Wes Miller would be chosen over the litany of Dookies to replace K. To me there's only one non-Dookie who has a shot in hell at replacing K, he is Brad Stevens. If Stevens tires of the Celtics, he could replace K, but he is the list.

By the way, a few pages ago, Pilch opined that Mike White would take the UNC job if offered. I asked him when was the last time UNC hired someone with no UNC ties. He hasn't answered. Here's the answer- 1952 - Frank McGuire.

But yes, Pilch, UNC would break with about SEVENTY years (I think Roy will stay a few more years) of tradition to bring in an outsider when many UNC people will want the gig.

I care about my friends. Caring includes telling folks when their shit is moronic. WF is moronic.

DR, what many here don't understand is how people can dramatically disagree about some issues and still be friends. A huge number of posters can't or won't understand this.

So what I take away from this is rjk and Donald Ross pretend to be internet friends?

Dean had no ties. And I love ya but you’re a fing idiot.

Dean had been UNC Assistant Coach under McGuire before being named HC. Just like your hero Trump, you aren't bound by facts or the historical record.

Most schools aren't in the ACC. Most schools don't haven't produced two Hall of Famers and other NBA All Stars over the past twenty-five years.

There should be a vast difference between the type of people hired at Wake versus DePaul or Wake vs. Ole Miss.

We shouldn't have to be LOWF. We should aim high and make that shot an open and easy one. Sadly, we have an AD and university president that don't act that way.

The job and the brand suck right now. 10 years ago - sure we could have gone after some high profile national coaches (instead of [name redacted]) and landed one. Ron killed the program and we are not in the market to get an established national brand - fact. Laughable to think Wojo would even consider coming to Wake from Marquette - no way in hell would he as are most on the list. We have real problems with Wellman making another hire - the obvious is that he shouldn't be allowed to make the hire. The other issue is Ron will retire soon (hopefully), most coaches want some assurance that the AD who hires him will be there for a while. Not the case at Wake. We're screwed folks.

DR has been right about Miller for a decade and no one has listened. Miller or Kelsey should be the next hire, but I have no faith in Wellman to do so.

Last edited:
The job and the brand suck right now. 10 years ago - sure we could have gone after some high profile national coaches (instead of [name redacted]) and landed one. Ron killed the program and we are not in the market to get an established national brand - fact. Laughable to think Wojo would even consider coming to Wake from Marquette - no way in hell would he as are most on the list. We have real problems with Wellman making another hire - the obvious is that he shouldn't be allowed to make the hire. The other issue is Ron will retire soon (hopefully), most coaches want some assurance that the AD who hires him will be there for a while. Not the case at Wake. We're screwed folks.

DR has been right about Miller for a decade and no one has listened. Miller or Kelsey should be the next hire, but I have no faith in Wellman to do so.

I was about where you are, but I’m not 100% convinced we are that toxic... yet.

To the greater college bb world, it may look like this - we are giving coaches a real chance (4 or more years) to prove their value and apparently laying down real cash as well ($18M package to cut Manning). Even when it’s clear the results aren’t coming. That’s embarrassing for fans, but how is that not an upside for the coaching candidate? And we are still bringing in some top recruits with the programs worst run ever.

That is why Matta should be #1 choice because he is a unique case.

If we swing and miss on that “home run” tier, Miller (or a similar young candidate) is probably the best choice given upside & $$.

NO boring retread. If that’s the hire we make, then the program is dead and nothing will change till Wellman/Hatch leave.

If we had hired HOF Wes ten years ago, he would have been fired by now. He was 45-73 for his first four years at UNC-G. He wouldn't have gotten a fifth year.

BTW, ten years ago HOF Wes hadn't even been an assistant anywhere yet. In what world would he have ever gotten a HC job at a P6 school?

If I was the AD, he would have been hired. You laughed. But whatever this isn’t about who was right then. Let’s try and fix it. Bob Knight is far and away the most qualified for our job. Qualifications suck. Wes would give us 30 great years. Do it!

Back