• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I sincerely don’t care where our coach went to college if we win games.

I think you could hire someone that went to a rival school, but it could not be one of those guys that you "hated".

Wojo in the black and gold would turn my stomach. I would be fine with Miller.

I want to see Kentucky hire Laettner as head coach. That AD would get assassinated before night fall.

Ron Wellman will be the Wake Athletics Director when the next basketball head coach is hired at Wake. This will have a great impact on who gets hired, and when the next hire happens.

"His name is known, his brand is known, and he would be attending the same events that he is already going to as the UNC-G coach, but would be able to recruit with the Wake Forest/ACC moniker now. I don’t think recruiting would be an issue for him."

How do you come up with this? Do you actually think Top AAU or HS programs outside of NC have ever heard of him? He is the definition of a local brand. We need a national brand.

Other than Oats (who has been a Top 25 coach), no other candidate has ZERO P6 coaching experience. We aren't in the position to do on-the-job-training.

Plenty of potential candidates have limited or no P6 experience.

Limited and zero are vastly different.

If I'm not mistaken, among our Top 6-8, only he and Oats fit that criteria. You could say Marshall doesn't, but he was much more successful at a comparable school (Winthrop) than Wes has been at UNC-G and has made a Sweet 16 and a Final Four (and has won a game in five of the last six NCCAT).

You didn't address the fact that Wes little to no name recognition outside of the immediate NC region. He's not a national brand.

If this is where he was in his career five years ago and where were five years ago, it would be different. We don't have time to see if he has the chops.

I'd love to have an energetic coach who is under forty. Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to take a chance and more time at this point. If there is a young coach, who would hit the ground running, sign me up.

Wes is known as an up and coming coach just like plenty of other mid-major coaching options Wake has. He's no more or less of a national brand than candidates like Steve Forbes, Casey Alexander, Pat Kelsey, or Russell Turner.

Great article.

I think Miller would be an excellent choice right after Matta or Oats. I love the age. If he turns out to be a great hire, he could be here for 30 plus years. That is a great way to build a brand.

I think his youth will be an asset in recruiting. Watching his games, you could see how much he connects with his team. He knows the game. He emphasizes defense which I think is crucial for Wake if we want to win in March.

I agree that he would be a bit of a gamble but this is the time to gamble. The program has been destroyed. We are not trying to hang on to or build onto something. The time to go with a big name and build on Prosser's success was 5 years ago.

If we can get a Matta or Oats, do it. Otherwise hire Miller.

It's time for some positivity in this program. Time to go young and start a new era.

Rjkarl is a nut job who lives in California and hasn’t attended a Wake home game in decades. Fuck him.

If I'm not mistaken, among our Top 6-8, only he and Oats fit that criteria. You could say Marshall doesn't, but he was much more successful at a comparable school (Winthrop) than Wes has been at UNC-G and has made a Sweet 16 and a Final Four (and has won a game in five of the last six NCCAT).

You didn't address the fact that Wes little to no name recognition outside of the immediate NC region. He's not a national brand.

If this is where he was in his career five years ago and where were five years ago, it would be different. We don't have time to see if he has the chops.

I'd love to have an energetic coach who is under forty. Unfortunately, we aren't in a position to take a chance and more time at this point. If there is a young coach, who would hit the ground running, sign me up.

Another reason that he would likely succeed is that RJ is adamantly opposed. That more than counters the DR effect.

Rjkarl is a nut job who lives in California and hasn’t attended a Wake home game in decades. Fuck him.

The three amigos! Nooooooooo!!!!!

Did Drew fuck your wife? Sounds like it.

As one who has sat down and drank beers and other things with Drew. You couldn't be more wrong. Of course you problem would be keeping up with him or understanding anything he said.

I'd guess you couldn't last an hour with our former group of three amigos for three days- Drew, palma and myself.

You were right about [Redacted] and Manning so of course you deserve to be listened to here.

Wes is known as an up and coming coach just like plenty of other mid-major coaching options Wake has. He's no more or less of a national brand than candidates like Steve Forbes, Casey Alexander, Pat Kelsey, or Russell Turner.

Which is not a national brand at all. Is anybody else beside Wake talking about Wes Miller?

I would actually put HOF Wes above Alexander. Forbes spent seven years at P6 schools and was at Wichita State when they had their Final Four run. Obviously, Kelsey and Turner each have more than one stint at P6 schools. Each has a better record in their current jobs than HOF Wes.

Back