• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Exactly. As if White would've turned down UNC to stay at La Tech. Coaching directly against his dad didn't stop Tommy Bowden from leaving Tulane for Clemson. White's dad as the Duke AD could handle his son making millions coaching another ACC team.

Remind me again the last time UNC hired someone with no UNC connections...yep, he'd be offered UNC...

Nothing specific about schools poaching him, just Bobby Hurley saying “any power five school would be lucky to have him”

On another note, reading that article makes me want him at Wake more than I already did.

Nothing specific about schools poaching him, just Bobby Hurley saying “any power five school would be lucky to have him”

On another note, reading that article makes me want him at Wake more than I already did.

Thanks for the update. I read Penn State is considering throwing some money at him too. I can only hope we've put out feelers to his agent, and will move fast to throw out an offer after March Madness.

Imagine the ideal candidate choosing Penn st over Wake.. that would be disgusting.

Matta is holding out because:

1) He is getting paid more than $million a year by tOSU;
2) He has significant back issues;
3) He has a kid in HS.

If he doesn't get a top 15ish job now, Matta can wait.

FWIW, pretty strong argument can be made that WF presently is not a top 50 job. There are 75 schools among the Power 6 conferences. At this point, fair to say WF is in the bottom 3rd. FWIW, WF has finished in the top 50 once in the last 10 years (#36 in 2017). If you want to argue that WF is in the top 50, regardless of it's on the court performance over the last decade, the reasonable limit is between #40 to #50, and that's a stretch.

Just don't see Thad Matta deciding to give up $1.2 million a year (and the possibility of coaching a true top 25 program at some point in the future) to try to climb the ACC ladder. Understand why WF would gauge his interest, but don't see it happening. Also, as previously stated, Matta turned down more than $3 million a year for 5 years from UGA. WF is going to have to offer more than that to get him. Depending on the amount of cash needed to buy-out Manning, that may not be doable. If WF is committed to DM for something between $2 million and $3 million for the next 5 years; there is no chance WF can also offer $3 million+ for 5 years to the next coach. Just not that kind cash available even if the big donors step to the plate.

If Matta is holding out for a Top-15 job, why was he talking to Georgia and Ole Miss?

Goodman reported that WF would be "on the hook" for 18M if they let go of Manning because his contract is guaranteed. I'm assuming that means full value of the contract + buyout. Other wise, he would be at 6yrs/18M, which puts him in the top-15 paid coaches in the country per year. That seems impossible.

If those numbers are accurate, then what would stop WF from offering Matta some serious cash? He would be the best coaching hire on paper that WF has made in a long time (ever?) Edit: I get that there would be $$ to Manning along with Matta, but if donors were OK paying a ridiculous amount for Manning, it seems at least plausible they would be OK with doing it for Matta.

Last edited:
The terms of his tOSU contract also stipulated that he had to seek comparable employment:

The $9 million buyout paid to him by Ohio State stipulates that Matta has to seek "comparable" employment, whether in coaching or the media. But someone leaking his name for one job would have sufficed, and that's mostly boilerplate stuff anyway. Matta's name coming up in three job searches was about more than just keeping up appearances.

Wrote the first of 4-5 articles examining potential coaching candidates for us. These are the top tier, but probably unrealistic options for us.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2019/...r-but-unlikely-nevada-buffalo-texas-marquette

Nice. Matta is the only one that seems realistic as a long shot and the most exciting to me by far.

We are going to learn a lot about where the program really is. Possible scenarios:

1) Wake has fallen so far that this is considered a bad/toxic job

2) The Manning contract was so ridiculously overpriced that it will make it impossible to pay for a good coach and we are forced to go young and cheap.

3) combo of 1&2 - see 4 or 5

4) Young & cheap but unknown - the risk is obviously higher, but there is less money at stake and easy to fire quickly if he doesn't do well immediately.

5) Mediocre retread - the pain continues

6) Valhalla -Wake is still considered a pretty good job. As bad as the last 2 hires are, it can be overcome with the right guy. Donors are again willing to go into their wallets (18m guaranteed to manning lol!) we bring in a Matta or Shaka and there is an immediate improvement to the program.

7) Hatch or Wellman retires, all bets are off depending on new President and AD

Wrote the first of 4-5 articles examining potential coaching candidates for us. These are the top tier, but probably unrealistic options for us.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2019/...r-but-unlikely-nevada-buffalo-texas-marquette

Wojo and Shaka would never be on our list this time nor would Musselman.

Matta's health is the big question mark. If Musselman doesn't go to UCLA, Oats may be on their list. If not, he would take Wake in a heartbeat.

Marshall is probably on UCLA's short list as well. We'd have to pay him about $50M over 10 years for him to even look at us.

A mid 50s retread who says this:

Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

Nah! Pass.

A mid 50s retread who says this:

Probably haven't felt like this in 10 years," he said. "I found out stress is real. It's a legit disease. In retirement you sleep until you're tired of sleeping, then you go about and start your day. It's being able to sleep in the night, you wake up in a good mood. I hadn't woke up in a good mood in like 18 years. That's what coaching is. You can't be happy."

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/thad_matta_back_in_columbus_on.html

Nah! Pass.

Hey Thad - when you're a zillionaire it's a bad look to complain about job-related stress. How do you think the rest of us working stiffs feel? At least you quit - good for you.

Back