• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

This is just unreal to me. I don't see how anyone can take random, anonymous posts here more credibly than probably the most connected CBB reporter there is

Maybe because there are some people here who have actual contacts.

Goodman could be right that the contract is fully guaranteed while not knowing there are triggers and targets to make it that way. The latter makes more sense than a blind, no incentive-laden guarantee. Remember, he's also only as good as his contacts.

Without proof of past correctness with insider information I have a hard time trusting any of you jokers. The only one I can remember consistently giving accurate inside info was CheesePritchard, who on the OB first posted both the info on the band scandal (swiftly prompting the Wake AD to tell the mods to remove it) and that Wellman had had a bike accident

Something we can agree on though -- Rich Boy Wes' team again takes a punch and folds like a tent. SAD!

Without proof of past correctness with insider information I have a hard time trusting any of you jokers. The only one I can remember consistently giving accurate inside info was CheesePritchard, who on the OB first posted both the info on the band scandal (swiftly prompting the Wake AD to tell the mods to remove it) and that Wellman had had a bike accident

BabyDeac used to have accurate info. Of course anyone who PMs Ball State Deac will get accurate info.

I assume he meant that we won’t compete with UCLA for as many candidates as we would with UVA.

Sure, but still think it would be a net win to have Bennett leave. Unless they hired Matta :(

If UCLA is interested, anything could happen. It's not like he's a stranger to the PAC12. UVA setup is pretty sweet tho.

At the same time, has Goodman come out with accurate info on behind-the-scenes Wake stuff? Genuinely asking because I don’t know. I assume it’d be harder to gather accurate info from a private school - and especially Wake.

$18 million makes no sense. I think you will see that when his salary comes out next year, he got a slight raise from the under $2 million he made this past year, but the idea that he had a fully guaranteed contract that covered much more than his current salary times the length of his contract with no incentive clauses based on one decent season after going 2-16 the year before is preposterous. I question Wellman's basketball coaching choices, but he is no fool, and even if he was there are other people who would have to approve the contract. There are reporters that get facts wrong much much consequencial that Danny Manning's buyout.

$18 million makes no sense. I think you will see that when his salary comes out next year, he got a slight raise from the under $2 million he made this past year, but the idea that he had a fully guaranteed contract that covered much more than his current salary times the length of his contract with no incentive clauses based on one decent season after going 2-16 the year before is preposterous. I question Wellman's basketball coaching choices, but he is no fool, and even if he was there are other people who would have to approve the contract. There are reporters that get facts wrong much much consequencial that Danny Manning's buyout.

This

Wellman has stayed in place for a long-ass time. He clearly has the respect of the powers that be. If he was 100% convinced that the program was on the right track -- much as he was with Prosser and Clawson when he gave both of them looooong extensions early in their tenures -- I don't think it would be hard to get their sign off. Wellman is the AD and is trusted at the end of the day to hire, fire and extend coaches -- it's kind of his job.

The way you describe the contract makes me wonder why Danny would've agreed to it. Especially if it was shorter than Ron's typical massively long contracts, I'm sure he threw in plenty of goodies.

Also Ron gave Clawson an eight-year deal after a 6-6 year and two 3-9 years before that. Is it really that out of the norm then that Ron would give Danny a sweetheart deal after a similar improvement that resulted in an NCAAT berth?

For someone who has only followed Wake sports for 8 years or so, sure, you’d have a terrible take like that.
I won't argue with those who think Wake is a better job. It's extremely close to me. On another day I might think Wake is the better job. But if you think that's a "terrible take" you're just being delusional. The country club atmosphere certainly isn't for some players -- it's partly why Crawford is no longer here. LSU is probably easier to recruit to. They can pay more if you're good at your job, even with the clear priorities to football. Again, won't argue with those who think Wake. It's very close to me.

Wellman has stayed in place for a long-ass time. He clearly has the respect of the powers that be. If he was 100% convinced that the program was on the right track -- much as he was with Prosser and Clawson when he gave both of them looooong extensions early in their tenures -- I don't think it would be hard to get their sign off. Wellman is the AD and is trusted at the end of the day to hire, fire and extend coaches -- it's kind of his job.

The way you describe the contract makes me wonder why Danny would've agreed to it. Especially if it was shorter than Ron's typical massively long contracts, I'm sure he threw in plenty of goodies.

Also Ron gave Clawson an eight-year deal after a 6-6 year and two 3-9 years before that. Is it really that out of the norm then that Ron would give Danny a sweetheart deal after a similar improvement that resulted in an NCAAT berth?

Clawson didn't have a fully guaranteed 18 million deal either.

Thanks. It's an example for comparison purposes. Good talk
Do you think Manning had other suitors at that time they were willing to pay him over 2 million dollars a year to coach a basketball team? I mean he hadn't had enough success to get another job it was basically a contract just for recruiting purposes but for any extension you got to give him some security which is the couple of years severance that he's getting for not getting the job done because he he wasn't successful

You're thinking of KVegas. Baby left pretty much when Bz left.

Back