• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

There's no way the source is correct. We didn't give Danny Manning a fully guaranteed contract. That's absolute insanity. Wellman isn't that stupid.

The dude hired [Redacted] and Manning, and then allowed both to overstay their welcome. He obviously lacks judgement.

Has a $3.6 million buyout already been negotiated? I would imagine he’s met none of the incentives and the amount owed would be offset by salary in a new job. Surely that clause is in there. What do NBA assistants pull down? The guy will continue to work and not sit on his ass like Dino. We could get out of this in a pretty reasonable way.

The people castigating others for rooting for the opposition may wish to incorporate this new info into their thought process. There is such a thing as the wisdom of considering the long term health of Wake Forest basketball

Just don't watch, easy option. Can't imagine the current product is at all fun to take in. People should do something else with their time, you won't regret it

That said that seems like a hella large amount of incentives. Like 80% of the buyout? That seems abnormal

The dude hired [Redacted] and Manning, and then allowed both to overstay their welcome. He obviously lacks judgement.

Exactly, fully guaranteeing his contract wouldn't surprise me at all given this history....

The benefit of the Prosser connection is that Prosser was Kelsey’s mentor early in his career and Kelsey would take great pride and work harder than most to finish the job that his mentor died trying to do, restore Wake to the basketball program it once was. Admittedly it is just a theory, but the bonus is that Kelsey seems to be a pretty good coach and also has the passion and drive that Prosser had. I think he can pull it off but what do I know. Of course you could apply the same theory to Randolph except that Odom didn’t die trying to make Wake a great program.

Anyway, I’m pretty sure we are going to end up with a donk that no one is excited about. So I can’t get too excited about any of this speculation. #SteveLavinin

I view having a prior WFU connection as a reason a coaching candidate may say yes to us. I don't view that connection as a reason we should offer

If Wellman had been smart he should have made the incentives a 2-way street. If he failed to meet even the minimums for a competent coach, Manning repays Wake a portion of what he has already been payed for the year.

I'm not sure it would make sense to start over from a recruiting and program building standpoint, unless it's just a shit ton more money than UVA will ever pay. Given the cost of living in LA vs Charlottesville, it would need to be way more money.

There's no way the source is correct. We didn't give Danny Manning a fully guaranteed contract. That's absolute insanity. Wellman isn't that stupid.

this is what i'm saying

it's too dumb to be believable

Fair enough. Some one also post on this thread, like 73 pages ago, that his Winthrop defenses are statistically pretty bad. Which diminishes my enthusiasm.

Well yeah, but what about Penn State's Ken Pomp ranking?

I'm not sure it would make sense to start over from a recruiting and program building standpoint, unless it's just a shit ton more money than UVA will ever pay. Given the cost of living in LA vs Charlottesville, it would need to be way more money.

Doesn't UCLA have a limit on what they can pay coaches? I wouldn't think they could come close to matching what UVA could pay. And UVA is going to pay Tony pretty much whatever he wants because they'll be desperate to keep the 1 revenue sport that makes money here. Football and women's hoops have been dreadful for a while. If Tony didn't bolt for Wisconsin when Ryan retired, there probably aren't many schools he'd bolt for. Does the ACC still prevent their member schools from poaching coaches from other member schools? If not, I could see Duke or UNC being attractive in a few years.

Pat Kelsey will be a highly unlikely hire. His coaching resume aside, Kelsey was a Dino assistant. I doubt Wellman would hire him for this reason. And Kelsey may not want to work for Wellman because of how he treated Dino. I just don’t see it happening.

I agree that 18 million sounds crazy but having asked around a little with the AD haven’t found anyone who has denied it.

Also everyone on here blasts Ron 24/7 for bad decisions but this is one step too far? I mean maybe but I’m not convinced.

I think we get out of Danny’s contract for somewhere around 8 digits.

I agree that 18 million sounds crazy but having asked around a little with the AD haven’t found anyone who has denied it.

Also everyone on here blasts Ron 24/7 for bad decisions but this is one step too far? I mean maybe but I’m not convinced.

I think we get out of Danny’s contract for somewhere around 8 digits.

It’s been my experience that Ron Wellman is nothing if not conservative. Definitely to a fault. That’s what makes me doubt the number. I also really doubt there are that many folks privy to the details of the contract.

Right which makes the Goodman report difficult to break down and also makes any confirmation hard to find.

I agree he’s conservative and 18 million is a ridiculous number.

I think people let their dislike of Wellman skew their take on the contract. 8 digits guaranteed money for barely making the NCAAs one year is crazy. an incentive laced contract that would have us on the hook for a year or two is reasonable and sounds right. Wake is generally tight lipped and wouldn't release details until something was pretty much done, which sounds like the case.

And Wellman only gets credit for not being a lunatic.

Back