• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I wonder if Mike Brey might be thinking it's time to leave South Bend. He is one coach with Dook ties that I would love to see on our bench.

Turner and his wife both grew up within 100 miles of campus. I remember that Tim Duncan at one time gave Russell lots of credit for Tim's development at Wake. I have no idea if Tim was just being nice, and I have no idea if Tim feels estranged from the program (heard rumors to that effect after Odom was shoved out). But, if a Turner hire would help get Tim more involved, that could be a plus. Russell is probably at the point in his career where a move makes sense. I would think he would have to be among Wellman's top 5-6 candidates.

Chris Paul funded a new locker room and we still suck.

I wonder if Mike Brey might be thinking it's time to leave South Bend. He is one coach with Dook ties that I would love to see on our bench.

Wouldn't be mad if Hatch reached out.

Here's a BIG reason why Brey wouldn't consider Wake. He has worked for Nathan Hatch for before.

He is almost 60 years old. We don't need that. If we go the older coach route, it's Pitino or bust.

Why would Brey leave ND for Wake? It makes no sense for him.

Especially considering ND just renovated its basketball facility and has a new practice facility that's supposedly on par with blue bloods. Coincidentally, ND appeared to have one of its best recruiting hauls for this season (clearly not showing on the court though).

BUT have you seen attendance at one of their home games? I'd wager more fans show up for the women's team than the men's. So being 3rd (and perhaps 4th behind hockey) in pecking order might make him want to leave? Brey supposedly doesn't make a whole lot $$$, so perhaps Wake can sway him with being the university's premier (is it still that??) sport plus a raise?

I don't see him leaving though. He's been there almost 20 years and tolerated being under-resourced for almost all of them. Surely, some of the big names have tried to hire him over that time and offered him a raise, better facilities, etc. He and his wife are from Maryland, so you'd think UMd would've offered him the job before Turg, right? So why leave for a job like Wake? Sure, put feelers out, but don't count on it happening.

Where can Oats go that's above the ACC?

Another ludicrous DR post.

This is where our alums are sooo off base. The concept that the Wake job is the same as the Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse job is just silly. Sure Wake could rebuild and one day be a top 25 job again. But it’s not right now. We want someone who is passionate about Wake and extatic to be our Coach. That’s obviously not Danny Manning. No passion for us at all.

I would say Wake is about the 35th best job and that Oats would leave Wake (if he pulls a miracle turnaround in 3 years) for any of the following schools if for some strange reason they became open & he received an offer: duke, cuse, unc, state, Louisville, uva, Maryland, mich, mich st, wisconson, Kansas, Texas, OU, Ok state, Ohio st, Indiana, Villanova, Butler, Georgetown, Xavier, Kentucky, Florida, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, & Gonzaga. So that’s 26.

How about Kelsey, Turner, or Miller? I’d say they’d only leave for about 7 of those jobs from here.

No coach who wins at Wake is going to a non-P5 school. Yes, there’s no way a successful Wake coach goes to the Big East. Then after that, I doubt he’d be on the radar of the top top programs after only a few years. And even so, so what? If he leaves, he leaves. We hire the next guy.

This is where our alums are sooo off base. The concept that the Wake job is the same as the Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse job is just silly. Sure Wake could rebuild and one day be a top 25 job again. But it’s not right now. We want someone who is passionate about Wake and extatic to be our Coach. That’s obviously not Danny Manning. No passion for us at all.

I would say Wake is about the 35th best job and that Oats would leave Wake (if he pulls a miracle turnaround in 3 years) for any of the following schools if for some strange reason they became open & he received an offer: duke, cuse, unc, state, Louisville, uva, Maryland, mich, mich st, wisconson, Kansas, Texas, OU, Ok state, Ohio st, Indiana, Villanova, Butler, Georgetown, Xavier, Kentucky, Florida, Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, & Gonzaga. So that’s 26.

How about Kelsey, Turner, or Miller? I’d say they’d only leave for about 7 of those jobs from here.

Gonzaga pays dog shit and has a coach in waiting. Few is only there because he built that program and wants to stay, its not a top job compared to ACC gigs. Xavier also doesn't pay well and sucks post-Mack, not a better job. Butler same as Xavier. OK State? No one gives a fuck about them, probably could say the same for OU. Kansas and Texas are the only good Big12 jobs. Maryland not exactly a great job, probably on par with a rejunivated Wake Forest. If someone is doing well at Wake they aren't leaving for NC State. That takes it down to 19. Wake is a top 25 job when the team is winning. Ron Wellman took a top 25 job and made it look like a terrible place because he hired 2 guys that drove away and alienated all the fans, couldn't present well to the media, and lost the majority of games. Get 1 coach who can do the opposite of all that and Wake is a top 25 job again.

Not hiring someone because they’ll have enough success to leave for a better job is a concern that I don’t have with this coaching search.

He's also a really good basketball coach which is what Wake Forest needs. Wofford is 23-4, 15-0 in the SOCON. Kenpom ranking of 28. Only 160 spots ahead of Wake Forest currently. He beat UNC last season on the road in Chapel Hill, which is more than any recent Wake coach can say. Also, Wofford is a very similar school to Wake Forest even down the the school colors. Heck, he wouldn't even have to change his wardrobe. Unless he wants to do like Danny Manning and wear purple ties. If we want to hire a coach from the SOCON it should be him ahead of some of the other options mentioned.

Not saying he’s a bad basketball coach. Kudos to him for a great season this year. And he’s won more often than not over the years.

My point is that he’s still at Wofford after 17 years. Just doesn’t excite me.

I would have been excited about Rick Byrd or Bob McKillop after 17 years in D1 at their schools.

If Oats had success that would interest another big time power 5 program, then that would mean that the Wake program would be much more attractive. If he has it rolling at Wake, is he going to look to a rebuilding job at Ok State?

If Oats had success that would interest another big time power 5 program, then that would mean that the Wake program would be much more attractive. If he has it rolling at Wake, is he going to look to a rebuilding job at Ok State?

Nope. No way in hell, which is why no one should worry about that. If Oats comes here and does very well the only people poaching are the NBA.

I think our goal should be to make the Coach K, Bob knight, Dean Smith, John Wooden type hire. All guys hired in their 30s at what were middling type top 25 schools who paid big. You can’t get the big pay off with the guy who is 55 or boalts after 3 years.

You make the hire looking for that long term pay off. If it doesn’t work after 5 years, you find the next 33 year old.

Please update as I have become somewhat disinterested in Wake basketball besides checking scores and an occasional game.

1. Are we 100% sure that Manning is getting the hook?

2. If so, who are the top three contenders for the job?

3. If so, what are the chances that Wellman goes with him?

Thanks.

Start by offering Matta/Prohm/Cronin at $3mil a year
If they say no, offer Oats/Musselman at $2.5mil a year
If they say no, offer Grant/TJ/Wes at $1.5 mil a year
If you get 8 no answers, set Wellman's body on fire on the quad and hope the sacrifice pleases the basketball gods.

Might want to start with the sacrifice just to be on the safe side.

Back