• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

Russell Turner is one of those dudes who doesn’t gets hearts racing ‘cause his name has been around a long time and he coaches way out west, but that dude has a pretty good track record of winning.

Russell Turner is one of those dudes who doesn’t gets hearts racing ‘cause his name has been around a long time and he coaches way out west, but that dude has a pretty good track record of winning.

Darn right he does. And he would embrace the Wake job. Turner would be an excellent choice. Dynamic and smart.

Also, if I recall correctly, Mrs Turner is a doctor and kinda foxy in a nerdy doctor way. That is important.

Serious question: Does Turner have any kind of charm or personality or is he a charismaless black hole like our past 2 coaches?

I’ve had exactly one interaction with Odom, Skip, Dino and Turner. Three out of four were positive and pleasant.

Stepping stone at Wake means he’s succeeded enough to get a top job. I would take that in a heartbeat.

Seriously. DR, how many jobs are there really worth leaving Wake for if you're winning big enough to move on somewhere else? If you say more than about 10 then you have a lower opinion of the program than I do.

What were Tony Bennett's ACC ties? Don't give me playing three years at the damn Hive

Bobby Hurley built Buffalo. Oats has no ties to the ACC. We are a stepping stone job for him.

Zero guys from Bobby Hurley's team are on this year's Buffalo team. 100% of this years team was recruited by Oats. Of the guys on the roster during Hurley's final season at Buffalo, Oats recruited 1/3rd of them to Buffalo.

Using that same logic Greg Marshal built Winthrop and Kelsey's had much less success there.

As much as DR puts down Wake alums, it's odd that setting foot on our campus is such a qualifier for a head coach

He’s 55 years old and has been at Wofford for 17 years. No thanks.

He's also a really good basketball coach which is what Wake Forest needs. Wofford is 23-4, 15-0 in the SOCON. Kenpom ranking of 28. Only 160 spots ahead of Wake Forest currently. He beat UNC last season on the road in Chapel Hill, which is more than any recent Wake coach can say. Also, Wofford is a very similar school to Wake Forest even down the the school colors. Heck, he wouldn't even have to change his wardrobe. Unless he wants to do like Danny Manning and wear purple ties. If we want to hire a coach from the SOCON it should be him ahead of some of the other options mentioned.

Darn right he does. And he would embrace the Wake job. Turner would be an excellent choice. Dynamic and smart.

Turner and his wife both grew up within 100 miles of campus. I remember that Tim Duncan at one time gave Russell lots of credit for Tim's development at Wake. I have no idea if Tim was just being nice, and I have no idea if Tim feels estranged from the program (heard rumors to that effect after Odom was shoved out). But, if a Turner hire would help get Tim more involved, that could be a plus. Russell is probably at the point in his career where a move makes sense. I would think he would have to be among Wellman's top 5-6 candidates.

If he wants to come back east, VT is a good fit (assuming Buzz decides to leave). He is a Roanoke native and VT now has a med school there (Roanoke) along with the osteopathic school that is not part of VT but is almost visible from Cassell Coliseum. If Blackshear returns next year, Tech will be in the middle of the conference. If he doesn't, the Hokies will be in the 10 -12 range in the conference. I'm thinking his wife is also from Roanoke. If he has any sort of relationship with Steph Curry from when he was with GS, it might also help VT mend fences with the Dell Curry family.

Back