• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

There's no way in hell we're going to hire pitino lol. And I think we have enough experience to understand that what translates to being a good NBA assistant coach what translates to being a good college catche are two different things

There's no way in hell we're going to hire pitino lol. And I think we have enough experience to understand that what translates to being a good NBA assistant coach what translates to being a good college catche are two different things

Obviously we aren't hiring Pitino, but he's the only chance to actually go to a final four and compete for a championship. None of these other guys are going to get us there.

Wellman had a chance in his career to bring in Beilein and according to some, Marshall. So he had two chances at a coach with championship caliber ability and chose not to.

One Sweet 16 a decade isn't very exciting. But that's about all we can hope for with any of these names being put out there.

Winning is the wrong direction? If it is the opinion that Pitino is the wrong direction then it's no surprise that LOWF is going to suck forever.

Of course winning isn't the wrong direction. It's how you do it, though. Pitino is 66 years old, a known cheater and would be a desperation hire. It's like saying you can't have a good athletics program if you're serious about academics. We can win and do it with a clear conscious. That's not LOWF.

Considering where Wake BB is currently, why not try something way outside the box? Particularly something that would garner tons of favorable publicity nationwide.

What do you think Manning was???

How about we hire someone who knows college basketball. Would be a new approach for Wake.

Are you Nathan Hatch?

Agree that there is no reason to think outside the box on this one. Just hire somebody who can actually coach college basketball.

The only box ronnie needs to think outside of is his own ass.

Hammond is not taking a college job.

Of course winning isn't the wrong direction. It's how you do it, though. Pitino is 66 years old, a known cheater and would be a desperation hire. It's like saying you can't have a good athletics program if you're serious about academics. We can win and do it with a clear conscious. That's not LOWF.

There is no way you can participate in NCAA sports and do it with a clear conscious, the NCAA is the most exploitative and corrupt organization in all of sports. A strong case could be made the programs "cheating" and paying or providing benefits to players are actually the programs operating in a morally superior way. Offering athletes that are being exploited for their labor cash benefits for the services provided is what should be happening.

If we are going to take part in this shit sandwich lets at least win some ball games. Any program participating in college athletics that claims to be taking to the "moral high road" is completely full of shit.

There is no way you can participate in NCAA sports and do it with a clear conscious, the NCAA is the most exploitative and corrupt organization in all of sports. A strong case could be made the programs "cheating" and paying or providing benefits to players are actually the programs operating in a morally superior way. Offering athletes that are being exploited for their labor cash benefits for the services provided is what should be happening.

If we are going to take part in this shit sandwich lets at least win some ball games. Any program participating in college athletics that claims to be taking to the "moral high road" is completely full of shit.

I basically disagree with all of this post...

No way can we afford to take any sort of risk again. We need a proven commodity; someone who has had success and experience building a program. Young coaches may be oozing potential but if we fail again we may never recover. Matta succeeded at Butler, Xavier and Ohio State. I'll take the proven track record and feel good about where we are in 2-3 years.

Don’t let those friends near this search.

It the we know them. I can see turner on deck

You mean Russell Turner who is closing in on his 4th conference title in 6 years? At a school that had won only 2 in 33 years? That coached under Odom, Mike Montgomery, and Don Nelson? That has been in the top 10 nationally in FG%D the last 4 years? That has 9 years of ACC/ PAC 12 recruiting experience? Help me understand how that’s a bad hire?

Two separate thoughts. Keep the friends away who helped with last search

Second if prior experience first hand with the ad staff and the new coach is important then i think turner is ahead of miller

We should all be so lucky to be exploited with free tuition, training, food & board, and exposure.

I would say those who are exploited are those paying $75,000.00 per year for an education.

Back