• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

If Alford can't win at UCLA, why would anyone expect him to win at Wake?

I don't entirely disagree, but a lot of people said the same thing about Howland in 2014. Some even made it clear they vastly preferred Manning. They were wrong because Howland has done a fantastic job at Mississippi State.

I don't entirely disagree, but a lot of people said the same thing about Howland in 2014. Some even made it clear they vastly preferred Manning. They were wrong because Howland has done a fantastic job at Mississippi State.

I was on board with Howland post Bzz, but fantastic is a stretch. They are likely to make their first tournament in year 4. Anyone that hired him would expect to be in the dance by year 4.

Becky Hammon.... Fuck No!!! Damn guys, one person makes a dumb suggestion and within a few blogs everyone is for it. I hope we hire someone who has won before. There is no way we good go wrong with Pitino or Marshall. Why take a chance at being trash over some media attention. Fuck this shit, lets win again. I've always wanted Bruce Peral, not because I like the douche bag, but because I enjoy us winning more than losing. Why can't we make it known to the BOT that we demand an experienced coach who can take us to the big dance. Why think so small, I have nothing against her but she has NO experience putting a roaster together. Whoever, made the statement about her having an assistant already in Childress needs a good ass kicking.. WE NEED THIS ENTIRE STAFF FIRED. Including our beloved Childress. Call an ace an ace, Childress sucks and the entire staff sucks. He was my favorite player growing up when I was a kid, but that time has gone. Watching Danny Manning on the sidelines and Childress yes siring his sorry ass makes me sick.. I'm frustrated!! LOL, Fuck us.. WE SUCK...

HUH?? Howland made back-to-back Final Fours at UCLA.

I wouldn't call coming in 11th, 12th and 7th in his three full seasons in a mediocre conference "fantastic" by any reasonable metric.

HUH?? Howland made back-to-back Final Fours at UCLA.

I wouldn't call coming in 11th, 12th and 7th in his three full seasons in a mediocre conference "fantastic" by any reasonable metric.

What are you HUHing at? People were very down on Howland because he had come off of 5 relatively unsuccessful years at UCLA (less successful than Alford's tenure...). They said they would prefer Manning hands down. Howland took over Mississippi State following a year when it finished 159th in the country and then went 78th, 88th, and 54th and now has them at 23rd. He has exceeded any reasonable expectations there.

Getting fired from UCLA should not be a disqualification. Some treated it as such last time, and they were wrong.

Becky Hammon.... Fuck No!!! Damn guys, one person makes a dumb suggestion and within a few blogs everyone is for it. I hope we hire someone who has won before. There is no way we good go wrong with Pitino or Marshall. Why take a chance at being trash over some media attention. Fuck this shit, lets win again. I've always wanted Bruce Peral, not because I like the douche bag, but because I enjoy us winning more than losing. Why can't we make it known to the BOT that we demand an experienced coach who can take us to the big dance. Why think so small, I have nothing against her but she has NO experience putting a roaster together. Whoever, made the statement about her having an assistant already in Childress needs a good ass kicking.. WE NEED THIS ENTIRE STAFF FIRED. Including our beloved Childress. Call an ace an ace, Childress sucks and the entire staff sucks. He was my favorite player growing up when I was a kid, but that time has gone. Watching Danny Manning on the sidelines and Childress yes siring his sorry ass makes me sick.. I'm frustrated!! LOL, Fuck us.. WE SUCK...

RIGHT ON! WE DO SUCK. ONLY HATCH AND WELLMAN DONT THINK SO

And, BTW, I don't particularly want us to hire Alford. If you're going to hire an old, low character douchebag, you might as well hire one who wins a bit more than he does.

But... it also wouldn't be a terrible outcome (certainly compared to who knows who Wellman might pull out of the hat). He would probably get the program back to some level of respectability and then the job becomes more attractive when Wellman's successor wants to make his mark.

What are you HUHing at? People were very down on Howland because he had come off of 5 relatively unsuccessful years at UCLA (less successful than Alford's tenure...). They said they would prefer Manning hands down. Howland took over Mississippi State following a year when it finished 159th in the country and then went 78th, 88th, and 54th and now has them at 23rd. He has exceeded any reasonable expectations there.

Getting fired from UCLA should not be a disqualification. Some treated it as such last time, and they were wrong.

Those are arbitrary ratings. The results of his teams are what counts. In his first three years, he didn't sniff The Dance. Barring a dream draw, he won't make it through the first weekend, if he makes The Dance.

We weren't the only school to turn him down five years ago. He begged for almost every job and only the sleazy, bottom feeding MS State would take the chance on him.

We should all be so lucky to be exploited with free tuition, training, food & board, and exposure.

I would say those who are exploited are those paying $75,000.00 per year for an education.
We are going to disagree here but the student athlete concept is one of the greatest con jobs that has ever been orchatrasted in sports.

Those are arbitrary ratings. The results of his teams are what counts. In his first three years, he didn't sniff The Dance. Barring a dream draw, he won't make it through the first weekend, if he makes The Dance.

We weren't the only school to turn him down five years ago. He begged for almost every job and only the sleazy, bottom feeding MS State would take the chance on him.

Well, first, they certainly aren't arbitrary. They are based on data.

Regardless, if you prefer to look at wins, he inherited a program that won 13 games the year before and then won 14, 16, 25, and has won 18 so far with at least 8 more games to go. Want to compare that to Manning's trajectory?

The whole point is that a bunch of schools turned him down in 2014 because "If [he] can't win at UCLA, why would anyone expect him to win at [insert program here]?". They were wrong so maybe we should learn from that mistake and not be so opposed to Alford based on the same logic. Again, not my top pick, but Wellman could certainly do a lot worse.

Most of the reasons he was turned down is he is a total asshole and burned a ton of AAU bridges. No one wanted to work with him.

He got lucky with a few local guys in MS. There's no reason to believe he would have been able to recruit for Wake.

Most of the reasons he was turned down is he is a total asshole and burned a ton of AAU bridges. No one wanted to work with him.

He got lucky with a few local guys in MS. There's no reason to believe he would have been able to recruit for Wake.

Sure, whatever.

I think pretty fair bet that he would have been more successful than Manning has been. And that anyone who said they would take Manning hands down probably shouldn't be taken too seriously next time around.

We are going to disagree here but the student athlete concept is one of the greatest con jobs that has ever been orchatrasted in sports.

The people running track and getting a full ride probably disagree with you. But, with respect to football and basketball, you’ve got a point.

Has anyone been more wrong than you about the last decade of Wake basketball?

Sure, whatever.

I think pretty fair bet that he would have been more successful than Manning has been. And that anyone who said they would take Manning hands down probably shouldn't be taken too seriously next time around.

Anyone who thinks Howland has done a "fantastic" job at MS State can't be taken seriously now.

The main issue I have with Alford is that he sounds like Manning Redux regarding how he communicates with players and fans and media, but it is funny to see RJ claim he is still right in the face of incontrovertible evidence that he is wrong.

Back