• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

He may hire him cheap, but extend him with a big guarantee after minimal success. I don't think there's any guarantee that we get something that doesn't cost us.

[Redacted] = 4 years
[I'm even worse] = 5 years
Next hire = ? The leash from the fanbase won't be as long. If the next person shows signs of poor coaching early people will just give up and not bother to to be patient. I'm not as concerned with w&l's in year one but effort, identity, enthusiasm, should all be there from day one. Fans should be able to understand what that years team identity is. We should understand the rotations and substitutions while also seeing signs of second half and late game adjustments. It's really possible ronnie gets one more year out of my fandom for the next coach to show me some upside. If he gives danny another year I'm probably out.

[name redacted] = 4 years
[I'm even worse] = 5 years
Next hire = ? The leash from the fanbase won't be as long. If the next person shows signs of poor coaching early people will just give up and not bother to to be patient..

I assumed that would happen after [name redacted] was kept around 2 years too long. And then again after Manning was kept after Y4. There's no real fan base left to be patient. What's left are really angry fans who say they are going to leave when X happens, but probably won't, and really positive fans who would justify nearly anything and applaud it with a respectful golf clap.

We need an immediate fix along with immediate credibility in the basketball community. Matta is the best candidate (at least I hope he is a candidate) to do both. I think we should do whatever it takes to hire him. In fact, I hope the process has already begun.

Well said, Racer.

isn't Matta's back all kinds of fucked up?

Matta's being paid $1M/year by OSU for a while as long as he just looks for employment similar to the OSU job. He can afford to wait for quite a while.

Normally I'd say Cronin would never leave UC, but in the last week, there was an article that he was talking about recruiting limitations at UC because of UC's reputation and just last night was talking about how teams in the American Conference can't afford to lose any games because of the conference's reputation and he thinks they get unfairly dinged for any conference loss.

I assumed that would happen after [name redacted] was kept around 2 years too long. And then again after Manning was kept after Y4. There's no real fan base left to be patient. What's left are really angry fans who say they are going to leave when X happens, but probably won't, and really positive fans who would justify nearly anything and applaud it with a respectful golf clap.

Don't disagree. I will say I watch fewer and few minutes each year. Often don't even realize when there is/was a game. I'm past anger and well into apathy. There is just not enough time to bother with this. I used to clear my entire calander for the ACC tourney. I took pto. Lots of us did. It has not been worth it for years.

This is the first Wake Forest basketball season I haven't watched every game. I have maybe was 40% of our games this year.

Just wonder if DR appreciates that, if anything, his campaign for Miller has hurt his standing among posters here more than it has helped him.

John+Pelphrey.jpg

Don't disagree. I will say I watch fewer and few minutes each year. Often don't even realize when there is/was a game. I'm past anger and well into apathy. There is just not enough time to bother with this. I used to clear my entire calander for the ACC tourney. I took pto. Lots of us did. It has not been worth it for years.

Even if you do still care, you only need to clear 2 hours on Tuesday afternoon for the WF portion of the ACC tourney.

didn't see this posted anyhwere

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...4/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

Danny Manning, Wake Forest Demon Deacons (63-86 in fifth season)
What his detractors would say: After an NCAA tournament at Tulsa, more was expected from Manning. Instead, the Demon Deacons have sandwiched four awful seasons around a First Four appearance in 2017. They're 2-8 in the ACC this season and lost to the likes of Houston Baptist and Gardner-Webb at home in the nonconference season. They're sliding further and further behind the rest of the ACC.

Why his firing would be unjust: The talent is there. Manning is recruiting quality players to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, led by five-star Jaylen Hoard in 2018 and two other ESPN 100 players in the past three classes. Also, Manning signed an extension in 2017 that keeps him at the school through 2025 -- and it's fully guaranteed. It's going to take a lot of money to make a move and still hire a high-level replacement. -- Jeff Borzello

Why his firing would be unjust: The talent is there. Manning is recruiting quality players to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, led by five-star Jaylen Hoard in 2018 and two other ESPN 100 players in the past three classes. Also, Manning signed an extension in 2017 that keeps him at the school through 2025 -- and it's fully guaranteed. It's going to take a lot of money to make a move and still hire a high-level replacement. -- Jeff Borzello

His reasons for calling the firing unjust are actually reasons he should be fired. He's proven that almost anyone can recruit talent to Wake, and that even WITH talent, Manning is woefully unable to win games.

The comment about money has nothing to do with why his firing would be unjust. It's more a reason as to why Wellman's firing would be just.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...4/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

What his detractors would say: After an NCAA tournament at Tulsa, more was expected from Manning. Instead, the Demon Deacons have sandwiched four awful seasons around a First Four appearance in 2017. They're 2-8 in the ACC this season and lost to the likes of Houston Baptist and Gardner-Webb at home in the nonconference season. They're sliding further and further behind the rest of the ACC.

Terrible take.

Also missing from the analysis: this season alone, Manning has lost to two other coaches on the list.

I’m sure it has hurt my standing. My standing with our athletic department is shot as well. I cared enough about our hoop Deacs to fire bullets. If that makes you not my friend, I’m not happy about it but it’s worth it for the greater good.

With ESPN now weighing in on DM, it is going to make it harder to get rid of him without taking a public black eye. The situation is clearly going from bad to worse.

Will Wade at LSU might think about it. He does have ACC and regional contacts. He was an assistant at Clemson and assistant and HC at VCU. He was also at Harvard for three years.

He had killer 2018 recruiting year.

We'd probably have to offer $3.M or more given that he's being paid $2.5M at LSU.

Don't want Will Wade. Lots of lingering questions about him, especially on the recruiting front. The folks at VCU weren't all that unhappy when he ran to LSU. And if he is ready to bolt after 2 years at LSU, he will do the same at WFU.

He's only 36. His resume does look like it would work at Wake.

EDIT: I might have Wade and Oats as co-#1 with Matta behind them.

Go big or go home.

How the hell did I put what I wanted to say into a quote?

These are my thoughts on Will Wade.
Don't want Will Wade. Lots of lingering questions about him, especially on the recruiting front. The folks at VCU weren't all that unhappy when he ran to LSU. And if he is ready to bolt after 2 years at LSU, he will do the same at WFU.

Back