• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

I remember Skip Prosser talking about the difficulty of pressing full time in the ACC because of the skill level of guards in the conference.

So is Shaka without Havoc still an exciting choice? Because that seems like what Texas got.

On Shaka Smart and the question of Havoc at Texas

Sounded like he would like to use the high pressure defense, but doesn't have sufficient depth to do so. Also, didn't sound le his team totally bought into it.

I remember Skip Prosser talking about the difficulty of pressing full time in the ACC because of the skill level of guards in the conference.

So is Shaka without Havoc still an exciting choice? Because that seems like what Texas got.

On Shaka Smart and the question of Havoc at Texas

From the article, it sounds like Shaka had a learning curve as to what works on the P6 level. He can't simply throw superior talent on the court. It takes time to teach kids his system, and more importantly, the players have to buy into the concept of expending that much energy on defense. The buy in has only been evident in a few games.

Maybe the willingness to buy in to Shaka's pressure defense is at least partially related to the level of recruit. 3* guys may buy in to get the wins, whereas 4* and 5* players may not want to put that much effort into defense because they think they are a few big scoring games away from being an NBA lottery pick.

I remember playing against Kentucky in 1993 (regional semi I believe). UK started the game with full court pressure...and not just token pressure either. Wake turned the ball over like crazy and Jamal Mashburn was drilling 3's like nobody's business. I am sure that was a lot of fun for UK fans to watch but it was miserable for me. I was traveling and had picked up a few beers to watch the game in my hotel room. By the time I had cracked open my first beer the score was 34-5. That game got away from WF immediately after the tip-off. That is the kind of excitement from WF basketball. Right now we just sleep walk through every game. Painful to watch.

I remember playing against Kentucky in 1993 (regional semi I believe). UK started the game with full court pressure...and not just token pressure either. Wake turned the ball over like crazy and Jamal Mashburn was drilling 3's like nobody's business. I am sure that was a lot of fun for UK fans to watch but it was miserable for me. I was traveling and had picked up a few beers to watch the game in my hotel room. By the time I had cracked open my first beer the score was 34-5. That game got away from WF immediately after the tip-off. That is the kind of excitement from WF basketball. Right now we just sleep walk through every game. Painful to watch.

Yeah, I was in the band for that game. Before halftime, the UK fans behind us were taunting us “Why don’t y’all play the blues?” Yeah, loads of fun.

This article makes me believe the Shaka Smart to Wake Forest rumors are true. "I think - and to be clear, this part is my personal speculation - Texas is helping Shaka find another home in exchange for a reduction on the guaranteed money left on his deal." --- I was waiting to hear something like that come from UT-Austin people. Now that it has, I'm thinking there are legs to Shaka Smart to Wake Forest.

Shaka would be the first coach at Wake with Final Four experience since the 60’s, right? No brainer. Lock it up, John.

Wellman signed Bzz and Manning and you don’t think he could possibly extend a contract when it’s not warranted?

Big difference between giving an extension and guaranteeing the buyout of the full contract. Wellman is not stupid. And as I've implied he probably just the puppet master, letting the $18M leak to either justify keeping DM or making him look like a great negotiator when the actual buy out is closer to $3M.

It's about to get really interesting. Danny's last game can't be over soon enough.

I blew off the Grateful Dead in Chapel Hill to go see that game in Charlotte.

I was at that game. After looking all week for a ticket, I had a friend offer me two tickets the day of the game. They were great seats, a few rows behind one of the baskets. The first game that night was Florida St vs. Western Kentucky. The Noles had a great team that year- Bobby Sura, Sam Cassell, Charlie Ward, etc. The game went into overtime. It was a fun night, until our game started.

At one point Mashburn had outscored Wake by himself. It was awful. Kentucky basketball fans are awful. One of them started a fight in the concourse with a WKU fan. They weren't even playing each other.

It’s possible Texas could finish with 16 losses with only two losses coming against teams that won’t make the NCAA’s (UGA and Providence). They also have 7 wins against tournament teams.

It’s possible Texas could finish with 16 losses with only two losses coming against teams that won’t make the NCAA’s (UGA and Providence). They also have 7 wins against tournament teams.

Smart is so much better than the turds we have been rolling out for the past decade. Currie needs to do whatever it takes.

You were saying?

An hour later he posted this in his game recap:

“It was the kind of loss that makes it harder to defend why Smart should return for a fifth season, regardless of the eye-popping $13-million buyout total or not. Smart is now 66-65 in four seasons at UT and 10 games below .500 in Big 12 play.”

It looks like the only reason people think he’s staying is the buy-out. The premise of the other article was that Texas and another team could negotiate a buy-out that makes his departure plausible.

So Texas signed a highly sought after coach. Things aren’t working out so they’re trying to find a school to hire him to lower their high buyout.

Makes sense.

Wellman gave an extension to a coach nobody else wanted and gave him a reportedly higher buyout and no school wants him so we owe him a ton of money.

Back