• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Possible Wake Forest Coaching Candidates Analysis

How would people feel about Anthony Grant?

He did great at VCU, was pretty mediocre at Alabama*, and has done a nice job so far at Dayton.

*It isn't like Alabama is a particularly easy place to do well at, particularly if you aren't cheating your face-off (e.g. Gottfried). Grant's best team was 27th and his worst was 86th. That's probably your most Weber like hire out there.

Grant is a UD alum - don't see him leaving Dayton to fix this shit show. He will likely be there awhile.

If Wes Miller took Idaho to the top 80 of KP he would be getting national attention.

Yeah he may not be as good a target then since he would be recruiting out west and have no reason to relocate to NC but it’s foolish to say nobody would be talking about him.

A couple coaching twitter accounts referenced his name for VPI if Buzz goes to TAMU. It’s not just wake who would be in the mix.

It would be ironic as his top incoming recruits, the Langely twins, were originally committed to VT.

tOSU insiders say Thad Matta's back is better and he is ready to return to coaching. UCLA, Arizona, and UNLV fans have been discussing him as well.

UMBC isn’t good now either. Their best ever rating under Odom is 166 but yeah they beat the top team once.

Miller is better than Odom in almost every way.

Like actually having an NCAA win you mean? Or a winning record every season? Or having Power 6 assistant coaching experience? Yes, other than that, Wes Miller is better in every way. Lol.

Like actually having an NCAA win you mean? Or a winning record every season? Or having Power 6 assistant coaching experience? Yes, other than that, Wes Miller is better in every way. Lol.

That's like saying he's the best blind Formula One driver.

I’m going to be so disappointed if the search begins and ends with Wes Miller.

I mean, we’ll never really know who we didn’t get... But at least lavish me with rumors of Matta, Smart, and Oats before forcing me to accept Wes.

tOSU insiders say Thad Matta's back is better and he is ready to return to coaching. UCLA, Arizona, and UNLV fans have been discussing him as well.

There are still $1.2 million reasons for him to be unemployed until this time next year.

If you are suspect on a Wes Miller hire, very hypocritical to then advocate for Ryan Odom. Odom has head coached for 3 years at the lowest level of college basketball that is not a HBU conference. The America East is a low-major conference -- significantly below the SoCon. Ryan Odom has never won a regular season conference championship - even in that craptastic conference when only one other school - Vermont - has anything other than a minimal commitment to basketball. Odom never coached at team that is even in the top 150 in college basketball. In his career, Ryan Odom has one win over a team with a top 75 rating (UVA in the NCAA tournament). In three years, Vermont is the only school that UMBC has beaten in the regular season with a rating over 151 (Albany). Miller has 9 wins over top 150 teams this year. Even so, I think its fair to question whether Miller is ready for an ACC gig.

It's meaningless to achieve a winning record in a conference when the other schools (current rating out of 351 D-1 schools) are:

- Maine 337
- New Hampshire 346
- Binghamton 332
- Albany 279
- UMASS-Lowell 256
- Hartford 191
- Stony Brook 170

Sorry, that doesn't prepare you for the rigors of the ACC. At least Manning took a team from a legit top 10 conference (CUSA) to the NCAA Tournament and had two winning seasons against the likes of Houston, Memphis, SMU, UAB, UCF. Wes Miller is a fair target of criticism as a candidate for the WF coaching job, but get your advocacy of Ryan Odom out of here then, because Miller has accomplished more than Odom.

The next step for Odom would be to coach in the SoCon. Not the ACC.

Last edited:
If coaching Twitter accounts list him, then you know he is good.

Well it undermines the argument that nobody would be talking about Wes if it weren't for his Wake connections. People with experience in the industry and who follow it full time are mentioning him as a good option for another ACC school.

Re: UMBC's tournament win. I put far more stock in where the team is overall over the course of a season, where the team's trajectory is, and how good the team is relative to the rest of the country than I do in sample size one games. In 2009, Brad Stevens lost back to back games to two teams outside the top 150 in KP does that mean that we should count these games more than any of his others in the regular season? Of course not.

The UMBC win last year was impressive. No doubt. But if you hire a guy for Wake because his team pulled off the 1 in 100 chance even though his team has never been a top 150 team I don't know what you're expecting compared to a guy who actually has a top 100 team. And yeah I realize that I'm discussing this with some people who think KP is trash and the ratings don't matter. To that, I continue to say: that's also dumb.

If you are suspect on a Wes Miller hire, very hypocritical to then advocate for Ryan Odom. Odom has head coached for 3 years at the lowest level of college basketball that is not a HBU conference. The America East is a low-major conference -- significantly below the SoCon. Ryan Odom has never won a regular season conference championship - even in that craptastic conference when only one other school - Vermont - has anything other than a minimal commitment to basketball. Odom never coached at team that is even in the top 150 in college basketball. In his career, Ryan Odom has one win over a team with a top 75 rating (UVA in the NCAA tournament). In three years, Vermont is the only school that UMBC has beaten in the regular season with a rating over 151 (Albany). Miller has 9 wins over top 150 teams this year. Even so, I think its fair to question whether Miller is ready for an ACC gig.

It's meaningless to achieve a winning record in a conference when the other schools (current rating out of 351 D-1 schools) are:

- Maine 337
- New Hampshire 346
- Binghamton 332
- Albany 279
- UMASS-Lowell 256
- Hartford 191
- Stony Brook 170

Sorry, that doesn't prepare you for the rigors of the ACC. At least Manning took a team from a legit top 10 conference (CUSA) to the NCAA Tournament and had two winning seasons against the likes of Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, UAB, UCF. Wes Miller is a fair target of criticism as a candidate for the WF coaching job, but get your advocacy of Ryan Odom out of here then, because Miller has accomplished more than Odom.

The next step for Odom would be to coach in the SoCon. Not the ACC.

Your entire argument is based on KenPom...a rating system that is flawed enough to have Penn State ranked 40. It's all relative. Odom did an incredible turnaround showing the guy can coach. Look at their win totals before arrival and then after. And the thing that remains not at all hypocritical in favoring Odom over Miller is experience. Miller has zero Power 6 experience coaching and recruiting. Odom has 7 plus years of it. I've said it many times...I like the home run hire attempt for sure. But if we drop into mid-major level, beyond Oats, I like Odom. The totality of his experience gives me greater confidence than Miller's. There's no eveidence that a better mid-major conference like SoCon will equal success in the Power 6. So to me when it comes to these smaller leagues, it's all a crapshoot. Therefore the full resume, with Power 6 experience matters to me. And I absolutely love that he's Dave Odom's son. That to me is a bonus over Miller. Some of you act like that is for some reason a flaw. Didn't work for his dad, but learned from him. Has years of assistant experience and now doing a turnaround job as a HC. My 4th choice overall for sure.

Well it undermines the argument that nobody would be talking about Wes if it weren't for his Wake connections. People with experience in the industry and who follow it full time are mentioning him as a good option for another ACC school.

Re: UMBC's tournament win. I put far more stock in where the team is overall over the course of a season, where the team's trajectory is, and how good the team is relative to the rest of the country than I do in sample size one games. In 2009, Brad Stevens lost back to back games to two teams outside the top 150 in KP does that mean that we should count these games more than any of his others in the regular season? Of course not.

The UMBC win last year was impressive. No doubt. But if you hire a guy for Wake because his team pulled off the 1 in 100 chance even though his team has never been a top 150 team I don't know what you're expecting compared to a guy who actually has a top 100 team. And yeah I realize that I'm discussing this with some people who think KP is trash and the ratings don't matter. To that, I continue to say: that's also dumb.

I give the BSD guys credit...they cast their lot for Miller early so they have sell it hard by discrediting a similar candidate. At least you're consistent.

2fpn.gif

Your entire argument is based on KenPom...a rating system that is flawed enough to have Penn State ranked 40.

RJ levels of ignorance will not aid you in this discussion.

KP 40
BPI 45
NET 49
Sagarin 43

Back