• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post Game Thoughts (Louisville)

I think you will see a lot of three guard sets next year with Crawford, Mitch and CMM and Thomas and Dinos.

I think you will see a lot of three guard sets next year with Crawford, Mitch and CMM and Thomas and Dinos.

Agree, and rotations using GMc, Hudson, Collins and Moore won't be too shabby either.

Can't decide if I'm more excited about Collins or Crawford next year...

I want Manning to focus minutes around the core six (Wilbekin, CMM, Hudson, Dinos, Thomas with McClinton on the bench) with hopes that Crawford, Collins, and Moore can fill out that rotation next year.

It definitely looks like Manning has finally gotten rid of the bad habits and instilled his coaching methods/strategies. That was probably one of the best all around games by a Wake team I've seen since Odom. It's going to be an interesting season the rest of the way.
We had some pretty nice games under Skip

I'll be happy if we keep up that play against the mid and bottom portion of the conference. Not to take away anything from last night's performance, but we occasionally saw even Bzz get the team fired up and focused enough to compete at home against a highly-ranked team on actual TV. The kids get up for those games without much help. It is the "lesser" and road games where we customarily have letdowns. Hopefully Manning can keep them playing at last night's level regardless of the competition.

Miami and Duke were overrated. This Ville team is legit.

We blitzed Miami and kept pace with dook. Last night we were on the edge of losing contact in the 1st half but brought it back to take the lead late. Just seemed like the guys clawed there way back. Still just a moral victory but something to build on. The key will be if they can do this in games we have a shot at winning. Dook will be interesting but it's a tough task to play this well in back to back top 5 games.

We also didn't do anything last night that we can't replicate. The Duke and Miami games were total luck. Players were basically pulling shots out of their rear ends all game. Last night we made layups and played defense. I can't be certain it is a trend, but I KNEW after the Miami and Duke games that it was all luck. We could actually replicate this . I certainly don't expect us to play this well in back to back games so who knows what will happen when we play Duke, but if we can continue to build defensively we can win some ACC games.

Wake will get blown out on Wednesday. Duke is damn good this year. They hit threes, they're defensively solid, and they can pound it inside. That game will be over with ten minutes left if not well before it.

We also didn't do anything last night that we can't replicate. The Duke and Miami games were total luck. Players were basically pulling shots out of their rear ends all game. Last night we made layups and played defense. I can't be certain it is a trend, but I KNEW after the Miami and Duke games that it was all luck. We could actually replicate this . I certainly don't expect us to play this well in back to back games so who knows what will happen when we play Duke, but if we can continue to build defensively we can win some ACC games.

Well we did make 66% of our 2-point field goal attempts, so that will be hard to duplicate. However, we only made 3-15 3's, and 17-32 free throws (53%). We can absolutely improve on those, and I was impressed that we won the rebounding battle and had one our best games in terms of not turning the ball over.

I also don't feel like Lousiville played like ass at all. They had a really good 1st half all around, and hit a ridiculous number of tough low efficiency shots in the 2nd.

I also don't feel like Lousiville played like ass at all. They had a really good 1st half all around, and hit a ridiculous number of tough low efficiency shots in the 2nd.

100% this. Had Louisville had an off night then we would have beaten them. It's damn tough to beat Louisville when they shoot 41% from three's though.

Well we did make 66% of our 2-point field goal attempts, so that will be hard to duplicate. However, we only made 3-15 3's, and 17-32 free throws (53%). We can absolutely improve on those, and I was impressed that we won the rebounding battle and had one our best games in terms of not turning the ball over.

If we get those same shots in another game we will hit a similar percentage. We were getting high quality looks, all within 3-5 feet of the basket. We executed our offense, and took the fast break when it was there. If teams continue to press us, we have to make them pay, just like did the second half. Eventually either teams will stop pressing us (advantage us) or we continue to get high quality looks in transition (advantage us). Compare that to the Arkansas game where we couldnt move the ball past half court for a large majority of the game.

Wake will get blown out on Wednesday. Duke is damn good this year. They hit threes, they're defensively solid, and they can pound it inside. That game will be over with ten minutes left if not well before it.

Since Duke has beaten everyone by double digits, including a road game at Wisconsin, a safe statement to make. With that said, Duke beat BC by 23 and Elon by 13. I would expect a loss somewhere in that range, which I would not consider a blowout.

You wouldn't consider an 18 point loss at home a blowout? I mean maybe if it's a five point game with five minutes left and Duke closes on a 13-0 run, but 18 points at home as an ACC team is pretty much a blowout against anyone even Duke IMO.

Duke and Kentucky are like semi pro teams compared to 99% of the NCAA this year. In two years when we have Thon and Harry we will be right up there with them, but right now they are in a different class.

The improvement throughout the early part of the season is what gives me hope moving forward. We are playing to our strengths, mitigating our weaknesses, and it's hard to stress how much better we look on defense.

Duke and Kentucky are like semi pro teams compared to 99% of the NCAA this year. In two years when we have Thon and Harry we will be right up there with them, but right now they are in a different class.

Are we really that confident about Harry? If so, that is awesome news!

I think we will beat Georgia Tech, FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Pitt this year.

Great post, Wrangor. I also really liked what I saw last night. The improvement is evident.

The biggest keys will be #3 (CMM) and #4 (defensive improvement). As you said, defensive improvement will be the best way for us to improve. It's also going to be the best way to get CMM attacking the basket in the open court.

Back