• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Post game thoughts (Rutgers)

Little early to be pounding on Moore. If he had been polished we wouldn't have gotten him. I see some things to like and if his work ethic is there he'll be a nice player for us.

Collins and Crawford are already good players. This could turn out to be one of the best freshman classes in recent memory.

Manning's comments about competing for playing time explain the deep rotation. Though I still don't see the need to play TVH. I can't knock TVH because he is a walk-on* busting his ass to help the team on his own dime and he certainly doesn't decide to play himself, though I am curious why he is still getting so many minutes with Hudson and Watson back.

*I understand he has a scholarship this year.

Manning's comments about competing for playing time explain the deep rotation. Though I still don't see the need to play TVH. I can't knock TVH because he is a walk-on* busting his ass to help the team on his own dime and he certainly doesn't decide to play himself, though I am curious why he is still getting so many minutes with Hudson and Watson back.

He's on scholly now, damn it!

He only played 8 minutes last night, which seems about right for him in that rotation. When CMM comes back, I imagine that'll twindle down to <5.

I mentioned this on the game thread, but we did a great job of going 2 for 1 at the end of the game after getting the ball with 50ish seconds left. Hudson negated that with the foul, but otherwise it was good clock management. Likewise, Thomas did well (whether on his own or because instructed) of missing the last FT, which put the chances of losing at almost nil. College teams in general are horrible at end of game clock management, so I was happy to see the coaching staff and players were aware of what was going on.

I mentioned this on the game thread, but we did a great job of going 2 for 1 at the end of the game after getting the ball with 50ish seconds left. Hudson negated that with the foul, but otherwise it was good clock management. Likewise, Thomas did well (whether on his own or because instructed) of missing the last FT, which put the chances of losing at almost nil. College teams in general are horrible at end of game clock management, so I was happy to see the coaching staff and players were aware of what was going on.

It would have been fitting for Thomas to accidently make the last FT.

We did not play very well last night and defense under DM has been underwhelming. Nevertheless, for a program that has struggled mightily to win any road games the past 5 years, we already have 2 true road wins. We came back from 12 down with 9:00 to play. That at least shows some heart. We went from matador D to holding them without a FG for 7 minutes down the stretch. So when we had to buckle down at least we showed the capability of doing it. Not saying I'm pleased with the performance but there are some positives to enjoy.

Way too early to give up on Doral. He rebounds and blocks shots already. He needs time to develop but he is certainly a high ceiling guy. Collins looks like a future pro to me. Crawford has star potential. The freshmen are going to steadily improve. Great class. 5-2 with wins over IU, UCLA, and 2 road wins without CMM playing. Who among us would not have taken that in a heartbeat before the season started?

We did not play very well last night and defense under DM has been underwhelming. Nevertheless, for a program that has struggled mightily to win any road games the past 5 years, we already have 2 true road wins. We came back from 12 down with 9:00 to play. That at least shows some heart. We went from matador D to holding them without a FG for 7 minutes down the stretch. So when we had to buckle down at least we showed the capability of doing it. Not saying I'm pleased with the performance but there are some positives to enjoy.

Way too early to give up on Doral. He rebounds and blocks shots already. He needs time to develop but he is certainly a high ceiling guy. Collins looks like a future pro to me. Crawford has star potential. The freshmen are going to steadily improve. Great class. 5-2 with wins over IU, UCLA, and 2 road wins without CMM playing. Who among us would not have taken that in a heartbeat before the season started?

Well said.

The frustration last night was that up until the final 10 minutes we lacked intensity and focus. We were sleep-walking. There are but so many games on the schedule, the staff needs to make as certain as possible that everyone's head is in the game. That was clearly not the case last night. We have the pieces necessary to be competitive every game, but only if everyone is focused and thinking clearly about his role.

Still, it is good to have genuine basketball talent combined with some serious athleticism.

One of the ugliest games I've ever watched....but we did come back from down 12 to win.

Collins has got to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. Through our first 7 games he has our highest TS%, our second highest usage %, our highest win shares/40, our highest offensive rebound %, and our highest block %.

Link

Any negative comments about how bad Hudson played last night need to be followed by "especially even he didn't get the game winning bucket."
I didn't see all the game last night. Watson must have looked much worse than his box score from the sentiment on this thread.

I was pleased with the overall performance and heart shown by our team last night. Most of our offensive sets in the first half looked good, we just didnt make open shots! That's not Manning's fault and probably something that's easily explained coming off a long road trip to Maui. Despite the poor shooting our defense in the first half was very good. The second half D was not quite as good, but Rutgers also made some impossible shots that we would give to any team (see mid range jumpers and fade-aways). During the same stretch where Rutgers was making shots we made some turnovers and again couldnt find the broad-side of a barn. Once we got down 12 the team showed a lot of heart, staying within Manning's scheme and outplaying Rutgers for the final 7 or 8 minutes. We're not "there" yet, but this team is showing more potential than any Ive seen at Wake since Dino was fired.

Collins has got to learn how to stay out of foul trouble. Through our first 7 games he has our highest TS%, our second highest usage %, our highest win shares/40, our highest offensive rebound %, and our highest block %.

Link
Perhaps our coach will realize that he is our most productive player in multiple categories and play him more than 16 minutes per game. Duh.

Great win on tired jet lagged legs. That was a good one for our road warriors to gut out and get.

Moore was supposed to be a project. So far he looks like a project. Let's not act surprised.

When I saw Greg was starting I just assumed Crab was still in the doghouse to some extent. I imagine that change will be made before the X game if not before.

Can't wait for CMM to get back, among other reasons because Rondale and TVH will be reduced to spot minutes.

Moore was supposed to be a project. So far he looks like a project. Let's not act surprised.

When I saw Greg was starting I just assumed Crab was still in the doghouse to some extent. I imagine that change will be made before the X game if not before.

Can't wait for CMM to get back, among other reasons because Rondale and TVH will be reduced to spot minutes.

Don't understand why anyone gets caught up in who starts. McClinton played 11 minutes. Crab 23. So, the rotation had Crab ahead of McClinton (as you would expect). Crab was on the on the court when the game was decided; McClinton was not -- who plays the final minutes far more relevant than who plays the first 3 minutes.

Back