• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prayer at government meetings

Less than 23% of Americans told pollsters at Fairleigh Dickinson University that they dislike prayers at public government meetings.
I agree with the less than 23%.

I work in local government. When I have to go to the meetings, I do not bow my head. I'd rather have a moment of silence.

I work in local government. When I have to go to the meetings, I do not bow my head. I'd rather have a moment of silence.

Most interesting man in the world of local government.

There's any easy way to stop the prayer nonsense. Just have a satanist volunteer to give a couple of them.

Oklahoma is dealing with something similar. The state has put up a Ten Commandments memorial and local Satanists now want to put up a Satanic memorial. One of the old, white, mouth-breathing, rednecks in their state legislature pretty plainly said there's no way- we're a Christian state and Christian country and anyone else can kiss his country ass. Paraphrasing, obviously.

But, yeah, Karma's right. The shoe fits nicely as long as it's the right-wing, white, Christian Jesus. Start talking Muhammad or Vishna and now you're starting some shit.

But, yeah, Karma's right. The shoe fits nicely as long as it's the right-wing, white, Christian Jesus. Start talking Muhammad or Vishna and now you're starting some shit.

All except for the fact that the town of Greece permitted prayers by Jewish, Baha'i, and Wiccan faith leaders too.

All except for the fact that the town of Greece permitted prayers by Jewish, Baha'i, and Wiccan faith leaders too.

Those are like the three least threatening religions ever. Call us when they regularly bring in an Imam.

Christ, are you still here? It's fucking government. There is zero need for a prayer or religious commentary or moment of silence. It's business. Get on with it. Frankly, Congress opens with prayer every session- how's it working? Get rid of it, stop being divisive and silly and deal with important shit.

Christ, are you still here?

Thanks, but you can just call me Junebug.

Legislative prayer serves the important purpose of solemnizing the event. It's been done in Congress since the founding. As long as it's not coercive, it's plainly not an establishment.

By the way, even the dissent wouldn't have ruled legislative prayer was per se unconstitutional. Kagan just didn't think the town had taken adequate measures to police the content of the prayers. If you think all legislative prayer is unconstitutional, you are well outside the mainstream.

Those are like the three least threatening religions ever. Call us when they regularly bring in an Imam.

Find me an Imam in Greece, NY. Not Rochester. Greece. Go ahead; I'll wait.

Larger communities that have legislative prayer regularly invite Imams to participate

Last edited:
Thanks, but you can just call me Junebug.

Legislative prayer serves the important purpose of solemnizing the event. It's been done in Congress since the founding. As long as it's not coercive, it's plainly not an establishment.

By the way, even the dissent wouldn't have ruled legislative prayer was per se unconstitutional. Kagan just didn't think the town had taken adequate measures to police the content of the prayers. If you think all legislative prayer is unconstitutional, you are well outside the mainstream.

Solemnizing the event? The purpose of solemnizing a discussion about funding a road expansion or SPLOST or approving a sewer extension is... what exactly? Solemnizing? And people wonder why American politics is such a joke.

I would respect people who support prayer in [insert public place here] so much more if they were just honest and said something like "I just like it my way better and that's more important to me than if it upsets anyone" instead of trying to justify it as a legitimate thing.

Find me an Imam in Greece, NY. Not Rochester. Greece. Go ahead; I'll wait.

Larger communities that have legislative prayer regularly invite Imams to participate

I assume the Baha'i and Wiccan faith leaders were all from Greece too, not Rochester.

You don't need prayer at government events. It's just dumb. The right has just lost it. They're beyond the point of no return

I would respect people who support prayer in [insert public place here] so much more if they were just honest and said something like "I just like it my way better and that's more important to me than if it upsets anyone" instead of trying to justify it as a legitimate thing.

I understand the significance of public prayer to the founding of the United States, and I appreciate that. I do, however, find it problematic that Christians are often leading the charge when The Bible (at least Matthew's Gospel) would indicate that Jesus wasn't crazy about public prayer.

‘And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

You don't need prayer at government events. It's just dumb. The right has just lost it. They're beyond the point of no return

I can make a good case that factions of both sides have lost it.

Back