• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prayer at government meetings

Yeah I guess I just agree more with the left than the right but I would certainly argue that larger factions of the GOP and conservatives have lost it. Hell the Republican Party is just a bunch of angry white dudes.

The real question is why we're letting this minor detail get in the way of the real issues: Benghazi, global warming hoaxes, unconstitutional attempts to seize our guns, those commie libs trying to teach garbage like evolution in schools, etc.

I understand the significance of public prayer to the founding of the United States, and I appreciate that. I do, however, find it problematic that Christians are often leading the charge when The Bible (at least Matthew's Gospel) would indicate that Jesus wasn't crazy about public prayer.

Good point. I'm fine with public prayer, but it really needs to be before the meeting and not an agenda item. I'm okay with the decision because I'd rather not go down the road of limiting the "free exercise" clause. Now, I realize that we also need to worry about the separation of Church and State (which isn't actually in the Constitution, and no one seems to remember that fact. This isn't the case of a government entity establishing a religion, just allowing a wide variety of religious folks to exercise their beliefs in a way that they feel benefits the common good. Again, I don't think it should be a part of the meeting), but that really doesn't seem to be the issue in this case.

The real issue isn't the Constitutional nature of this case, it's the ass-backwards understanding of prayer and Christianity (or religion) that is causing the problem. And for that, on behalf of my brothers and sisters, I apologize.

Yeah I guess I just agree more with the left than the right but I would certainly argue that larger factions of the GOP and conservatives have lost it. Hell the Republican Party is just a bunch of angry white dudes.

The real question is why we're letting this minor detail get in the way of the real issues: Benghazi, global warming hoaxes, unconstitutional attempts to seize our guns, those commie libs trying to teach garbage like evolution in schools, etc.

True. IMO, the only thing dumber, the only thing that's a bigger waste of time than mixing government and prayer, is trying to fight it. You just roll your eyes, let the mouth-breathers (you can just call them Junebugs) have their little thing, then try to get down to actual, substantive business. But you know that'll be a waste of time too- if it's so important to waste taxpayer time and money on fighting to keep fucking prayers in a government meeting, you know they'll go down guns blazing on something truly serious.

Oh yeah and all the gays. They're just committing a myriad of sins

Rhetorically, they seem to all be part of the same war on Christianity.

True. IMO, the only thing dumber, the only thing that's a bigger waste of time than mixing government and prayer, is trying to fight it. You just roll your eyes, let the mouth-breathers (you can just call them Junebugs) have their little thing, then try to get down to actual, substantive business. But you know that'll be a waste of time too- if it's so important to waste taxpayer time and money on fighting to keep fucking prayers in a government meeting, you know they'll go down guns blazing on something truly serious.

Yeah, or you can call them "Congress."

House-Outlook-1.png

Legislative prayer serves the important purpose of solemnizing the event.

What does solemnization do for a meeting, exactly? Because I go to meetings all week long in the private sector of which zero are solemnized, that I know of. Can you secretly solemnize a meeting, or solemnize all of them at the beginning of the week? I want to know if I should have them solemnized in some way so they are less boring and more productive.

Oh, and if I believe in the God that the meeting is solemnized to (to? by?) do I get my way as a result?

Legislative prayer serves the important purpose of solemnizing the event.

What does solemnization do for a meeting, exactly? Because I go to meetings all week long in the private sector of which zero are solemnized, that I know of. Can you secretly solemnize a meeting, or solemnize all of them at the beginning of the week? I want to know if I should have them solemnized in some way so they are less boring and more productive.

Oh, and if I believe in the God that the meeting is solemnized to (to? by?) do I get my way as a result?

Local government meetings are anything but fucking solemn. Miserable stuff.

Not having a problem with it and supporting it are two very different things.

Dude, it's not just the right. It's over 75% of the country that supports this.

That's not correct. There's no fucking way that 75% of the country supports prayer before government meetings. If this is from a poll then they didn't adequately sample people under 30. I probably met just as many atheists and agnostics at Wake than I met religious people. The problem is generally Christians insulate themselves to hanging out with other Christians (just like most groups do) and believe that everybody is religious too. Hell some girl at Northeastern last year said she didn't think she knew a single atheist at school. It's the most liberal law school in the country, literally 80% of the population is an atheist.

That's not correct. There's no fucking way that 75% of the country supports prayer before government meetings. If this is from a poll then they didn't adequately sample people under 30. I probably met just as many atheists and agnostics at Wake than I met religious people. The problem is generally Christians insulate themselves to hanging out with other Christians (just like most groups do) and believe that everybody is religious too. Hell some girl at Northeastern last year said she didn't think she knew a single atheist at school. It's the most liberal law school in the country, literally 80% of the population is an atheist.

The hilarity of this tirade is that you are likely insulating yourself from religious folks.

Back