• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

President Hatch positives?

DistrictDeacon

Reaction score
So after hearing reports of him confusing Wake and Notre Dame at the pep rally, and his jumboboard ass-kissing of ND, I was wondering what positive things Hatch has done in his years at Wake.

Have they started to rehab the upper-class dorms around the quad?

What happened on the jumbotron?

Doubt this thread will end well.

I have been a pretty vocal opponent of Hatch and the administration. That being said, I think he has been good about keeping his decisions transparent and making himself available for communication with students and faculty.

The decisions themselves? Meh.

Hatch at the pep rally was LOL bad. He's a terrible public speaker

turrible.jpg

Nothing reminds me of Notre Dame football like Alphonso Smith and his pick 6 against Maryland for 100 yards!

What happened on the jumbotron?

Hatch had a PA during one of the first timeouts that took the tone of: 'Welcome Notre Dame, look at how much our school is like yours, we have similar values, etc.' All the while, beautiful pictures of campus and student groups (that misrepresent Wake's true population) are being shown.

Hatch had a PA during one of the first timeouts that took the tone of: 'Welcome Notre Dame, look at how much our school is like yours, we have similar values, etc.' All the while, beautiful pictures of campus and student groups (that misrepresent Wake's true population) are being shown.

Like what?

What do you mean "You People"?

Though he participated in the filming, I sincerely doubt that promo should be blamed on him. I seriously doubt Hatch said,"Let's make a video about how similar Wake and Notre Dame are. I want to be producer and director and make an appearance."

The Pep Rally was bad. Very bad. But we're known that he's a bad public speaker.

What do you think Presidents should be responsible for?

-Raising/Maintaining our Ranking: Hatch has maintained this while other schools around us have dropped.
-Fundraising: Some of the largest gifts in Wake history have been raised in the past 24-36 months.

Some of his initiatives that obviously have ruffled some feathers:
Growth Initiative
New Admissions Building
South Hall
Reynolda Hall Renovation
Strategic Plan

I think the Board of Trustees could hold some blame for those as well.

I have no issue with growing the student body. I think it's the smart thing to do. But you have to do it in a slow, deliberate manner, which I just don't see happening. This administration seems to make decisions and then act on them immediately without making sure the proper resources are in place so that the decisions don't degrade the undergraduate experience at Wake.

I am referring to things like the elimination of first semester advising for freshmen or the rash adoption of a 3 year housing requirement while the campus dorms are already bursting at the seams.

I have no issue with growing the student body. I think it's the smart thing to do. But you have to do it in a slow, deliberate manner, which I just don't see happening. This administration seems to make decisions and then act on them immediately without making sure the proper resources are in place so that the decisions don't degrade the undergraduate experience at Wake.

I am referring to things like the elimination of first semester advising for freshmen or the rash adoption of a 3 year housing requirement while the campus dorms are already bursting at the seams.

What?

Wait, what?

Wait, what?

My understanding is that freshmen this year picked 3 classes for themselves and then had 2 more picked for them by an automated system. I am sure someone has additional details.

ETA:
http://oldgoldandblack.com/?p=14343

The new registration plan for first-year students is eerily reminiscent of high school. Students will register for eight hours on WIN during the summer. At this time, first-year students will not have been assigned their orientation advisers and will be forced to rely on online tutorials to navigate the complex website and process that is class registration. The other seven hours will be selected by the Office of Academic Advising. First-year students will be asked to fill out a “detailed” survey in which they provide their preferences for divisional classes and electives.

Last edited:
My understanding is that freshmen this year picked 3 classes for themselves and then had 2 more picked for them by an automated system. I am sure someone has additional details.

What? Is this for real?

I have no words for this...that's terrible.

Yes it is.

My guess is they barely have enough class room so they have to be able to move people around in order to max out every class.

Back