• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pretend you're Wellman

Smidge

Reaction score
"CP3 day was a huge success! We had a great crowd that was proud to come out and honor the legendary Greatest Of All Time! Chris Paul! This young team of freshmen played hard and focused, showing lots of fire to stay alive in ACC play. Coach Buzdelik turned this team into a postseason contender as proof by this performance. It was a wonderful day to honor CP3(which is now his only name) and senior CJ!"

"CP3 day was a huge success! We had a great crowd that was proud to come out and honor the legendary Greatest Of All Time! Chris Paul! This young team of freshmen played hard and focused, showing lots of fire to stay alive in ACC play. Coach Buzdelik turned this team into a postseason contender as proof by this performance. It was a wonderful day to honor CP3(which is now his only name) and senior CJ!"

Whatever you been drinking, should be outlawed!!!

2210041467_385190a3dc.jpg

From the WF Sports Facebook page:

"What an amazing day at Joel Coliseum as Chris Paul's No. 3 jersey was retired at halftime."

No mention whatsoever of how the team did in the game haha.

Oh, fuck.

I forgot to post on that fucking nonsensical page today. I shall immediately correct that.

I think Ron is home after a fine dinner with CP3 smoking a cigar and sipping on a cognac. His last worry in the world are the plebes on this board. The big donors are all in on Bzz. We are turning the corner, doing it the right way and building a culture we can be proud of.

This a tough neighborhood on this board...

I don't know what some of you all do for a living, but I occasionally have to make some decisions in my work that are important to some people, and I can promise you I'm not batting 1000. I sort of doubt that all of the Wellman critics here are batting 1000, but I know I'm not. I'm probably not up to the Mendoza line.

I have seen no reason to question Wellman's word or his integrity. I clearly understand not liking what Bzzz has done with the basketball program, but I know of no reason to question Wellman's integrity. This list of good things he has done for the University is a long, long list, too. Just drive out University Parkway and look at what the Atheletic Department has done under his direction in his time here. Unlike the mighty University of Maryland, I don't think tiny Wake Forest is drowning under an unbearable debt load from all of those buildings and improvements.

Pretend you are Wellman. For better or worse, you've fired Dino and you've hired Bzzz. It is a done deal, however much some of us wish he hadn't done one or both (I admit I would have fired Dino, and I would not have hired Bzzz - I still am not confident I would have been right in either regard, but that is what I would have done), so the question now is what do you do now.

I think it is a good question. The worst thing you could do is make a worse decision now trying to try to fix what may have been earlier bad decision, so what do you do? It is not an easy question. It may be irrelevant, but the fact is that you have two Wake Forest institutions sitting on that bench, that you have encouraged the coach to take. I feel certain neither of them need this job - they both can do better financially elsewhere - but that fact is you don't want to fire them when they have stepped on board at your request.

It is easier to recognize what you don't do. You absolutely don't make any public statements or take any public action indicating anything other than complete support for your coaches while they are coaching your teams. You don't make statements trying to appease the Wake fans like us venting on the sports boards. So far he hasn't made either of those mistakes.

So what do you do?

Good post. You evaluate at the end of the season, quickly. If Bz is not the answer, you terminate his employment. Then you look at the fallout. If there is a need to address Childress and Rusty, you do that separately. But first, you start a search for a new coach. You do not let your choices of possible replacement coaches affect the decision to cut Bz loose. These are separate decisions that must be made separately.

Specifically, it is clear that Bz is not the answer. He cannot related to the fanbase or the players. He cannot motivate the team. It is time for him to go. The simpler you keep the questions, the clearer the answers become.

As for Rusty and Childress, I believe Childress probably has a job in the athletic department. If Rusty has to go, you try to help him find his next position.

Wellman is beginning to remind me of the long-time Senator or House member who has represented the same state or district for 20+ consecutive years but has gradually lost his way after starting out with a lot of promise and doing a solid job earlier in his career. Now, just like the elected official whose reelection chances are consistently very high and never a cause for concern, Wellman feels absolutely safe and secure knowing that he can do almost anything and not get ousted. We already know how he feels about the BuzzOuters, and how he doesn't want us preaching to him. We'll see what happens in the next month or so once the season ends. Isn't it sad that a lot of us wouldn't be surprised in the least if Wellman didn't fire Buzz and, on top of that, voiced his unwavering support for this terrible excuse for a coach?

I think Ron is home after a fine dinner with CP3 smoking a cigar and sipping on a cognac. His last worry in the world are the plebes on this board. The big donors are all in on Bzz. We are turning the corner, doing it the right way and building a culture we can be proud of.

Ron strikes you as a cognac drinker?

Scotch is too harsh for his palette.

Wellman can't say anything until after we lose in the ACCT. However, if he doesn't act within 24 hours, then he should be fired.

Back