• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pretend you're Wellman

I bet some bubble teams that get left out of the tourney are going to question Wellman being in any sort of decision making position given his recent track record of losing his damn mind.

OK, I'll pretend I'm Wellman ...

I stop making ridiculous public statements in support of Bz.

I stop making ridiculous private statements in support of Bz.

I review my list of candidates that I maintain at all times.

I determine what it would take to attract one of my top three choices and evaluate the l likelihood that I can make it happen.

I maintain silence until the final loss of the season.

I advise the president and the BOT of my decision.

I offer Bz the option to resign with a mutually acceptable public statement once the season is over.

I use my contacts to secure a new coach with an emphasis on creating a successful program and returning WFU to national prominence.

I give my new coach total control over assembling his new staff.

However, there are two truths in the current situation that are not reflected in the above hypothetical ... there is only one RW, and I am not him.

I bet some bubble teams that get left out of the tourney are going to question Wellman being in any sort of decision making position given his recent track record of losing his damn mind.

My predictions:

#1 seeds: Duke, Miami, and NC State

UConn nabs a better-than-should-be-the-case seed as an at-large, and Iona, Nebraska, Richmond, and Seton Hall make the tourney in the play-in game.

This a tough neighborhood on this board...

I don't know what some of you all do for a living, but I occasionally have to make some decisions in my work that are important to some people, and I can promise you I'm not batting 1000. I sort of doubt that all of the Wellman critics here are batting 1000, but I know I'm not. I'm probably not up to the Mendoza line.

I have seen no reason to question Wellman's word or his integrity. I clearly understand not liking what Bzzz has done with the basketball program, but I know of no reason to question Wellman's integrity. This list of good things he has done for the University is a long, long list, too. Just drive out University Parkway and look at what the Atheletic Department has done under his direction in his time here. Unlike the mighty University of Maryland, I don't think tiny Wake Forest is drowning under an unbearable debt load from all of those buildings and improvements.

Pretend you are Wellman. For better or worse, you've fired Dino and you've hired Bzzz. It is a done deal, however much some of us wish he hadn't done one or both (I admit I would have fired Dino, and I would not have hired Bzzz - I still am not confident I would have been right in either regard, but that is what I would have done), so the question now is what do you do now.

I think it is a good question. The worst thing you could do is make a worse decision now trying to try to fix what may have been earlier bad decision, so what do you do? It is not an easy question. It may be irrelevant, but the fact is that you have two Wake Forest institutions sitting on that bench, that you have encouraged the coach to take. I feel certain neither of them need this job - they both can do better financially elsewhere - but that fact is you don't want to fire them when they have stepped on board at your request.

It is easier to recognize what you don't do. You absolutely don't make any public statements or take any public action indicating anything other than complete support for your coaches while they are coaching your teams. You don't make statements trying to appease the Wake fans like us venting on the sports boards. So far he hasn't made either of those mistakes.

So what do you do?

I'm sorry, but Wellman IS the problem, not Buzz. Buzz is Buzz, and his record was well known when Wellman hired him. What aspect of Buzz's tenure at Colorado hasn't materialized here at Wake? He's been "delivering" just as his record said he would. We got exactly what we paid for. Buzz never should have been the coach here (nor should Dino have been), but there is one person who made that a reality and that person knew or should have known what many of us could plainly see at the time: Buzz is a life-long losing coach. And hiring Buzz isn't the only misjudgment Wellman's made. Just the latest. Nothing improves, in my opinion, until Wellman is gone and a really enthusiastic AD with a winning vision is hired.

I determine what it would take to attract one of my top three choices and evaluate the l likelihood that I can make it happen.

I offer Bz the option to resign with a mutually acceptable public statement once the season is over.

I use my contacts to secure a new coach with an emphasis on creating a successful program and returning WFU to national prominence.

However, there are two truths in the current situation that are not reflected in the above hypothetical ... there is only one RW, and I am not him.

+1,000,000 - and

I seek advise and counsel if need be and not be a lone ranger for every athletic department decision.

it seems as though wellman has stopped doing the first thing on the list - as to the second, I have no knowledge.

it's a small thread, but it is attached to hope.

I'm wellman? I take the gun in my mouth head on, and have the bullet's trajectory cross the brain stem just above the base of my skull, ensuring a fatal head-shot. any other way and there is a small chance you could live.

Back