• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Primary mode of music listening/acquisition.

How do you discover/acquire/listen to music primarily

• Pandora/Radio

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • iTunes

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Grooveshark

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Torrents/Downloading

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Purchase Cds

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Youtube

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Other/Poll Fail/Go suck an egg, egg

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
Yea I'm guessing the legality of an American using that site is probably a bit of a gray area, kind of like playing online poker was up to about a month ago.

But it certainly gives you more of a leg to stand on then torrenting. Plus you can feel better about your self knowing you paid something?

It would never occur to me to use YouTube to listen to music. Are there "station" features like Pandora and Grooveshark? (those are the two main sites I use, Pandora for radio-like music, GS when I want to hear specific songs)

Yea I'm guessing the legality of an American using that site is probably a bit of a gray area, kind of like playing online poker was up to about a month ago.

But it certainly gives you more of a leg to stand on then torrenting. Plus you can feel better about your self knowing you paid something?

I read around the web a little bit. Sounds like the site is a little shady and probably don't pay the artists.

I read around the web a little bit. Sounds like the site is a little shady and probably don't pay the artists.

Hardly surprising at $.09 a song.

That's why I really think the only reason to do it is if it makes you feel better to know you at least paid something for the song. In the end I doubt it's much different from torrenting from an artist's perspective.

It would never occur to me to use YouTube to listen to music. Are there "station" features like Pandora and Grooveshark? (those are the two main sites I use, Pandora for radio-like music, GS when I want to hear specific songs)

You can create playlists on youtube.

How do you like the cloud player?

i've only used it for one CD but it is cool to be able to buy something and then download it to my phone and all my computers without any wires (I know that this is what iTunes does but I don't do Apple). I had a hitch in that for some odd reason 3 songs on the album would only download to my phone and not my computer. I will continue to mess with it and see if that is an isolated problem.

I voted for CD's. IF one of my favorite artists releases a new CD a usually buy it. Or if there is an older album I want to finally purchase, I look at local record store used CD sections since its usually cheaper than iTunes.

I have started getting more off iTunes recently, though I like the fact that Amazon runs $5 album specials pretty frequently.

Finding new music: I use Grooveshark, Pandora, Last.fm, firends, Townie's mixtape thread.

I just can't justify buying CD's anymore when they cost 100% more (if not more) than downloads. Also, it's a pain in the ass to find a brick and mortar store that sells them, let alone has a decent selection. And buying CD's online takes days of waiting. I understand the appeal of having the physical medium containing the music in you hands, but it's just not worth it anymore to me.

Record companies were killing it when they could charge $18 for a CD or sell you a CD single with another couple of tracks for $4.99. It was a straight up ripoff and I'm glad it's over. I'm actually consuming more music now than I have in a few years because I don't have to feel like a shithead for paying $18 for something I wind up not liking.

I just can't justify buying CD's anymore when they cost 100% more (if not more) than downloads. Also, it's a pain in the ass to find a brick and mortar store that sells them, let alone has a decent selection. And buying CD's online takes days of waiting. I understand the appeal of having the physical medium containing the music in you hands, but it's just not worth it anymore to me.

Record companies were killing it when they could charge $18 for a CD or sell you a CD single with another couple of tracks for $4.99. It was a straight up ripoff and I'm glad it's over. I'm actually consuming more music now than I have in a few years because I don't have to feel like a shithead for paying $18 for something I wind up not liking.

I feel the opposite. Maybe I'm just getting old and having an Almost Famous moment, but part of actually liking certain music to me was going to the store on release day, waiting in line, picking up a new copy, and then listening to it straight through several times while reading the liner notes. You are going to listen to it closer because of the investment. I find that I listen less to the music that I download as opposed to when I actually go to the store and buy it. Similarly, I find it hard to respect the music opinion of some toolbag sitting at his computer bouncing from song to song while playing Halo and yammering at his friends over the microphone or jacking off to the latest unsuspecting-college-girl-modeling-audition-turns-to-anal-wreckage site.

I find that I listen less to the music that I download as opposed to when I actually go to the store and buy it.

Same for me. Lets be clear, I buy maybe 3 brand new CD's a year, the rest are usually used. I don't really mind the wait either if I order it off line.

I guess it comes down to how good the album is. If its packed full of good songs and the CD is cheaper than buying on itUnes, then I will do that. If there are only 3-4 good songs, then its obviously iTunes.

I feel the opposite. Maybe I'm just getting old and having an Almost Famous moment, but part of actually liking certain music to me was going to the store on release day, waiting in line, picking up a new copy, and then listening to it straight through several times while reading the liner notes. You are going to listen to it closer because of the investment. I find that I listen less to the music that I download as opposed to when I actually go to the store and buy it. Similarly, I find it hard to respect the music opinion of some toolbag sitting at his computer bouncing from song to song while playing Halo and yammering at his friends over the microphone or jacking off to the latest unsuspecting-college-girl-modeling-audition-turns-to-anal-wreckage site.

Same for me. Lets be clear, I buy maybe 3 brand new CD's a year, the rest are usually used. I don't really mind the wait either if I order it off line.

I guess it comes down to how good the album is. If its packed full of good songs and the CD is cheaper than buying on itUnes, then I will do that. If there are only 3-4 good songs, then its obviously iTunes.

What music stores are you guys going to? I have a Barns & Noble down the streeet that has a bunch of mainstream stuff and that's all. Manifest Discs is probably about 5 miles from my house, but in a direction that I never visit. So the likelihood of my carving out an hour to go down there to buy a new CD on release day is pretty remote. Or are you guys buying all your music at Starbucks?

And are you telling me that you consult record store employees for music recommendations instead of doing your research online? You do realize that not every music critic is some dumbass blogger and that pretty much every reputable music critic you would have read ten years ago is online and easily found, right?

I'll usually go to Best Buy for a CD. I don't read critics, I just listen to various stations on XM and if I hear something a few times and like it, I will buy the CD.

you'll pass them again on their long journey to the middle.

Torrents/downloading ftw.

I'll use hypem or grooveshark to find new music, but I'll use my torrent sites to get the music to my ipod/droid/itunes.

Back