• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PRISM

Funny
The NSA Sent a Takedown Notice Over My Custom PRISM-Logo T-Shirts
Want to buy a PRISM t-shirt? You can't: Someone is claiming copyright over the logo of the vast NSA surveillance operation, and they took down my Zazzle store.

Like all real Americans, I am an entrepreneurial, small-business job-creator type, so when I learned that the NSA was collecting immense amounts of data from nearly every major tech company on the planet, my first thought was: How can I make a buck off of this?

Naturally I turned to apparel. Zazzle.com is a company that allows you to design and sell your own t-shirts and other products. (For examples of the possibilities afforded, see the wonderful Zazzle Poetry.) I grabbed the PRISM logo from The Guardian's website, slapped in on a white tee, and put it up for sale.
http://gawker.com/the-nsa-sent-a-takedown-notice-over-my-custom-prism-log-512085836

one funny thing is the Republican Chair of the Intelligence Committee is backing Obama on this. Mike Rogers said this data led to stopping an attack on US soil in 2012.

If this wasn't happening it would be far more shocking.

one funny thing is the Republican Chair of the Intelligence Committee is backing Obama on this. Mike Rogers said this data led to stopping an attack on US soil in 2012.

If this wasn't happening it would be far more shocking.
Wyden and Udall issued a statement where they disagree:
Wyden "unconvinced" that phone records help deter terrorism
After years of review, we believe statements that this very broad Patriot Act collection has been “a critical tool in protecting the nation” do not appear to hold up under close scrutiny. We remain unconvinced that the secret Patriot Act collection has actually provided any uniquely valuable intelligence. As far as we can see, all of the useful information that it has provided appears to have also been available through other collection methods that do not violate the privacy of law-abiding Americans in the way that the Patriot Act collection does. We hope that President Obama will probe the basis for these assertions, as we have.
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20130607/UPDATE/130607025/Wyden-unconvinced-phone-records-help-deter-terrorism?nclick_check=1

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” -Benjamin Franklin

Keep in mind, under the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 (which was renewed in 2012), the telecom companies have immunity for disclosing any of this info.

Obama claims it's all good because executive branch, congress, and federal judges all say it's constitutional. Fast forward vid to 8:00 minute mark to hear argument against this talking point.

Green represents areas that are least subjected to NSA surveillance while red represents most subjected.
A snapshot of the Boundless Informant data, contained in a top secret NSA "global heat map" seen by the Guardian, shows that in March 2013 the agency collected 97bn pieces of intelligence from computer networks worldwide.
boundless-heatmap-large-001.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/08/nsa-boundless-informant-global-datamining?CMP=twt_gu#

Obama claims it's all good because executive branch, congress, and federal judges all say it's constitutional. Fast forward vid to 8:00 minute mark to hear argument against this talking point.

On Aljazeera? No thanks.

From The Hill this afternoon:

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper denied that the program, called PRISM, "unilaterally" obtains information from the servers of U.S. Internet companies.

"PRISM is not an undisclosed collection or data mining program," Clapper said in a statement. "It is an internal government computer system used to facilitate the government's statutorily authorized collection of foreign intelligence information from electronic communication service providers under court supervision, as authorized by Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA)."

He said that the Internet companies provide user data to the National Security Agency only after receiving an order approved by a secret FISA court.

So it sounds like they are not tapped into these company servers, but that there is a web portal for facilitating the submission of FISA court orders and NSLs. I know that the Telcos have had this for a while, Sprint being an example, where if law enforcement issued a warrant they could quickly get access to cell records via a web portal.

The other part, from the new slide on the other page, is that they are sucking up all the Internet traffic they can and examining it. That much we knew.

It's an interesting division between "meta" data mining and actual data mining.

Well there are now reports that Obama has ordered an investigation into the newspapers who reported that the Obama administration has a program that spies on press. His conceit and gall obviously has no bounds. He and President Jarrett will never learn. :rofl: Someone might want to let him know that the Guardian is an English paper and I am pretty sure Obama is not the Queen of England.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

Mark Twain

Last edited:
Well there are now reports that Obama has ordered an investigation into the newspapers who reported that the Obama administration has a program that spies on press. His conceit and gall obviously has no bounds. He and President Jarrett will never learn. :rofl: Someone might want to let him know that the Guardian is an English paper and I am pretty sure Obama is not the Queen of England.

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

Mark Twain

Just keep grasping at straws dude, it ain't gonna win elections.

Just keep grasping at straws dude, it ain't gonna win elections.

It is always amazing how when they are in power, both Republicans and Democrats, always believe that they are never going to lose another election and that the other party is dead. Of course then after 8 years they lose.

Back