• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prison: What's it like

TravelingDeacon

Reaction score
So in movies and tv shows prison seems like a place where people are raped, stabbed, "shiv'd", and beat up all the time.

What do you think? Is this stuff as common place as hollywood makes it seem? Is losing your freedom the easiest part of being locked up?

I'll tell you what it's like: Boys, when that steel door slams shut, that's the end of the happy days. No more fishin', no more ball playin', no more peanut butter sandwiches.

Gruel... sandwiches, gruel omelettes. Nothing but gruel. Plus you can eat your own hair.

So in movies and tv shows prison seems like a place where people are raped, stabbed, "shiv'd", and beat up all the time.

What do you think? Is this stuff as common place as hollywood makes it seem? Is losing your freedom the easiest part of being locked up?

My buddy was a CO. It is more common place than reported because of the stigma of rape.

yeah I think if anything prison is probably worse than how it's portrayed. They are more crowded than tv lets on, and the idea that they just exercise all day is a myth as almost all prisons don't have weights or workout equipment anymore.

It depends a lot on where you are. State prisons are generally much better than federal prisons. There are also all different kinds of security levels, which can have a huge impact on quality of life.

In the late '80s I was a reporter at a local paper and did a story on the medium-security state prison at one end of the county. It was awful. Dirty, very little equipment, bunch of guys just sitting around playing cards.

They had some violence on occasion but it had been pretty quiet for a while or they wouldn't have taken me in.

yeah I think if anything prison is probably worse than how it's portrayed. They are more crowded than tv lets on, and the idea that they just exercise all day is a myth as almost all prisons don't have weights or workout equipment anymore.

They still workout a lot.

I visited Alcatraz over the weekend. It seemed like a pretty cool place to hang. When it was running, all inmates had their own cell. No one had to share.

I visited Alcatraz over the weekend. It seemed like a pretty cool place to hang. When it was running, all inmates had their own cell. No one had to share.

nice and warm in the balmy San Fran bay as well.

It all depends on whether you were a successful banker prior to being incarcerated. If you can provide sound financial advice and do the taxes for all the guards your life is pretty sweet.

Don't, however, call the warden obtuse.

It all depends on whether you were a successful banker prior to being incarcerated. If you can provide sound financial advice and do the taxes for all the guards your life is pretty sweet.

Don't, however, call the warden obtuse.

PosRep

When I went to prison for defrauding investors out of 200 million it was rough. I only got 4 rounds of golf per week in. They didn't even provide a caddy. I only got ONE conjugal visit per day! Luckily I got out after 2 months for good behavior!

bellofdaball.jpg

on my way to chino, rollin on the grey goose
shackeled from head to toe
25 with the izz-L with nowhere to gizz-o, I know.

It depends a lot on where you are. State prisons are generally much better than federal prisons. There are also all different kinds of security levels, which can have a huge impact on quality of life.

I think you have this backwards. State prisons are generally terrible, whereas federal prisons aren't as bad. Hence the moniker "Club Fed."

I used to play softball with a bunch of prisoners in a Texas prison as part of a community outreach thing. The guys would often tell me how awesome federal prison was compared to their situation. They'd basically say, "That Mike Vick? He's living the life. He prolly even gets conjugal visits!"

Back