• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prison: What's it like

Federal prisoners are not allowed conjugal visits and I think only a handful of states allow them.

My aunt was in federal prison from 1983 until July 2010, and also for a few years in the 70s (she was involved in some pretty bad and famous shit), but she never really talked about the conditions inside. A lot of pics of her from the late 90s and 2000s show her in street clothes in non-prison looking settings, but since I know she was never allowed out of the facility (they made that mistake once) it leads me to believe that she wasn't kept in the worst of the worst, at least at the end.

My second cousin spent 9 months in San Quentin back in the 70s (he held on to a package for a "friend" and refused to out them to the police once caught (would have been much worse than 9 months in prison). But his cellmate was a behemoth of a man who didn't know how to read and told my cousin that in exchange for teaching him how to read he would make sure no one inside layed one finger (or any other body part) on him. Though some people apparently tried, no one was successful.

It depends a lot on where you are. State prisons are generally much better than federal prisons. There are also all different kinds of security levels, which can have a huge impact on quality of life.

"Conjugal visits? Mmmm. Not that I know of. Y'know, minimum-security prison is no picnic. I have a client in there right now. He says the trick is: kick someone's ass the first day, or become someone's bitch. Then everything will be all right. W-Why do you ask, anyway?"

It's cold inside and they take your belt, but they usually let you out before too late the next morning. They don't let you keep the jumpsuit though, and asking for it kind of pisses the officers off.

I think you have this backwards. State prisons are generally terrible, whereas federal prisons aren't as bad. Hence the moniker "Club Fed."

I used to play softball with a bunch of prisoners in a Texas prison as part of a community outreach thing. The guys would often tell me how awesome federal prison was compared to their situation. They'd basically say, "That Mike Vick? He's living the life. He prolly even gets conjugal visits!"

I don't practice criminal law anymore, but that is the way it was twenty-plus years ago with federal vs. state prisons... In that past life there were times when I bought and paid, sometimes monthly, on behalf of some clients for a little protection in the big house. It worked. A little help each month for Bubba's momma or his sister went a long way toward Bubba looking out for the client. It wasn't usually hard to figure out quickly who would be Bubba, but sometimes it was hard to quickly figure out who Bubba would care about enough to take care of things. It is always a good practice to get and keep good relations with other lawyers in other towns and states.

I think you have this backwards. State prisons are generally terrible, whereas federal prisons aren't as bad. Hence the moniker "Club Fed."

I used to play softball with a bunch of prisoners in a Texas prison as part of a community outreach thing. The guys would often tell me how awesome federal prison was compared to their situation. They'd basically say, "That Mike Vick? He's living the life. He prolly even gets conjugal visits!"

Could be, I'm just repeating what I learned in a couple of law school clinics. I'm sure it varies by state, too (my experience is in Michigan). Our professors said it's a better result for clients to be in state prison. We also spoke with some inmates who had done time in both, and they said state prison was fun compared to federal. It might be a function of the fact that the feds often don't go after you unless you've done something relatively serious, whereas there are more minor criminals in state prisons and it can be more of a laid back atmosphere. I visited two state prisons in Michigan, too, and they were clean and calm, but that's anecdotal.

ron mexico would get conjugal visits

4374.jpg

That's generally what my impression is too, though I can assure you that Leavenworth was no picnic for Vick.

The Club Fed label is generally applied to the minimum security federal facilities where they send the white collar criminals and not the Ron Mexicos of the world.

My aunt was in federal prison from 1983 until July 2010, and also for a few years in the 70s (she was involved in some pretty bad and famous shit), but she never really talked about the conditions inside. A lot of pics of her from the late 90s and 2000s show her in street clothes in non-prison looking settings, but since I know she was never allowed out of the facility (they made that mistake once) it leads me to believe that she wasn't kept in the worst of the worst, at least at the end.

Didnt you mention this back on scout a year or two ago? I seem to remember someone posting a like to a wikipedia story about a family member who was doing some time. I just remember it being an interesting read, if my memory serves me correct.

Didnt you mention this back on scout a year or two ago? I seem to remember someone posting a like to a wikipedia story about a family member who was doing some time. I just remember it being an interesting read, if my memory serves me correct.

I think I mentioned it a while back, so it could have been me. There is definitely a wikipedia page about her, so it probably was.

Prison is like being the red-headed stepchild of the ACC. You should know a thing or two about that. Even if you break out, you know they're going to catch you and send you back where you belong.

Back