• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pro Life / Pro Choice Debate

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/19/travel-abortion-law-missouri-00018539

The first-of-its-kind proposal would allow private citizens to sue anyone who helps a Missouri resident have an abortion — from the out-of-state physician who performs the procedure to whoever helps transport a person across state lines to a clinic, a major escalation in the national conservative push to restrict access to the procedure.

So much for letting individual states decide.

Yep. The only "ideology" the GOP has nowadays is whatever best panders to their base. States Rights, balanced budgets, pro-business policies and attitudes, etc. are all expendable so they can throw as much red meat as possible to their perpetually angry, outraged, we're-victims-too Fox News-viewing base. If they can pass a federal law in Congress outlawing abortion in all states and giving the death penalty to any woman who had one or doctor who performed one, they gladly would. The fact that pro-choice blue states would be furious would only be more incentive for them to do it.

Conservatives have never had an ideology. All of those, states rights, balanced budgets, etc are just ways to justify power.

Was abortion legal in the Middle Ages?
Tricky question: short answer is no, it was condemned by legal and religious authorities. (I'm obviously reducing a very long and complex history here.)

But there are lots of surviving accounts in medical treatises of doctors recommending contraceptive treatments and recommending abortions in a variety of cases. The focus of these treatises was entirely on the health of the woman and these didn't take into account the spiritual problem of the unborn.

The practice itself was morally condemned, but medieval Christians took seriously the medical importance of women's health and the danger of bearing a child and I don't know of any contemporary texts that criticize the practice in these contexts.

Jesus was conceived by an unwed teenager.
I played Joseph once in a Latin nativity play and I didn't have many lines but was just supposed to look pissed off that I'd been cucked by god or the angel Gabriel or the holy ghost or something

I've posted this before, but it's looking more and more like The Handmaid's Tale may need to be reclassified as nonfiction. I also noticed in the article that gays were mentioned as well, mainly as pedophiles ("keep your hands off our children"). My guess is that when they're finished giving the death penalty to women who get abortions and anyone who helps them that LGBT people will be next on their list. There simply is no bottom with these people now.

Back